Who knows. Maybe they thought it would give more torque to the little 50cc engine?
All I can say is I'm glad I decided not to use the original exhaust! Well, at least not use the original exhaust in original form.
A bite sized update this morning! I got another two pieces welded on to the exhaust.
It's slowly starting to take shape and really go the way I want it to.
It actually took a bit of work for these two pieces. I welded them on and just hated how it was turning out. So I sliced them right back off, cleaned it all up again and took another shot at it. I'm glad I did because I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
Next up is continuing these two pieces around the side and then figuring out how to build a collector from scratch. Fortunately, it only has to collect two pipes, so it shouldn't be too hard!