#
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
 Post subject: Hako FB group
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:41 am 

Ok, ive noticed that a lot of people ask questions and sometimes they are ignored, or no one knows the answer, or they are just forgotten about. Not sure what the reason, but I for one feel like i get a cold shoulder a LOT of times. i'm not some richie punk who was handed my car. Ive worked really hard for it, and I've done almost ALL of the wrenching on it (i can't weld, so i guess i technically have done all the WRENCHING..)
I've asked a lot of questions, and Ive gotten very frustrated with the lack of participation from other members of this site. (No Offense to anyone on here, just speaking my mind.)
To put a long story short, I really wanted to create a group where its easier to find information, and where there is a lot of quick interaction. If you are interested in joining the group, then follow the link below!

This group is not intended to take away interest from this site, i LOVE this site, but its another way to spread the wealth of knowledge that each of us may have hidden away.

Again, If i have offended anyone I sincerely apologize.
If no one has interest, so be it.
I'm starting a public collection of part numbers and technical data, i will also be uploading and sharing all the Hako picture's I've ripped from the internet.
Please consider joining, and share what you know.

We are all very lucky to own a true piece of J-tin History, and I think we should be very humble, and spread the wealth.
ANYWAY, I want to extend my welcome to my Hakosuka owners club Facebook group.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/178305712315084/

If you are offended by this post, then i'm sorry.

Post subject: Re: Hako FB group
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:31 am 

Same with the C110's, that why I'm on www.classiczcars.com too, it's got a dedicated 240K/C110 section.

I love this site too, but yeah info and participation isn't the best.

We've also got a C110 group on Facebook if anyone else want's to join.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/234186873335002/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:16 am 

haha chill out man. it's just kind of a dead site. and unlike most other sites, i notice if someone doesn't know the answer on here, they don't pretend they do. our "scene" is pretty damn small in the car world if you think about it. and especially if you narrow it down to one specific year and model car. at least you can find SOMETHING on your car. i have to piece what i can together off the barely existent HR30 info and use everyone else's L28 notes haha. i know how you feel :lol: ....requested to join both pages. i don't have a hako or kenmeri, but i do have a L28 powered skyline haha. figure we can swap info on that front at least :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:49 am 

To me, this does not look good. No offence to Wookieballa (or indeed 47Hako) but I dont reckon we need any more factions on JNC.
When the NSR first appeared I was a couple of weeks away from getting my GC10 Skyline and was a bit concerned about there being a seperate "area" for Skyline owners. I've been looking at JNC for 3 years and always liked the fact that people seemed to appreiciate everyone else's taste in cars, I came on looking at kev's Hako and then had my eyes opened to Japanese cars. I love my Hako but I'd take familycar's HR30 just as it is. Or a Bellett, GX71 Mark 2, etc...

There now seem to be quite a few Skyline owners on here. Some people are very open and sharing, some people are more reserved. Some ask loads of questions and some have all the answers. Some just think they do.
I have seen non-Skyline owners and potential Skyline owners "cut dead" by some owners on here, it seems a real shame. It's a little like qualified drivers having a go at learners out on the road, we were all there once.
Unless you read Japanese, JNC is just about the best resource for pre-32 Skylines available. The long running threads like kev's and 31Gun's hold a wealth of knowledge and there are now a couple of C110's being documented in huge detail.

We dont need seperate groups, we all have JNC. I'm already seeing people on here telling others how their car should be. I see people who ask a question and then if they dont get an answer within an hour, chuck all their toys out the pram. JNC is International, the person with your answer may be busy. Or asleep.

I'm gonna stop now coz I've run out of things to say.
Thanks for listening,
Dan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:39 am 

I think your groups is good but it would lead more people away from this site than to it. The skylines are a nissan and a lot of nissans from the 70's are built about the same. So little tricks that you can do to a Z or 510 can sometimes work for a hako. I also dont us FB all that offen but come to this site like 8 times a day.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:47 am 

wookieballa, I agree to a certain extent... I myself being new to the world of restoration or even wrenching on an old vehicle. I find it hard to get info at the same time I do understand there's only a few of us here in the states. Most have been VERY helpful snag here and there but overall, I can say Skyline owners have helped me with every question I have had. I'm a a Rookie at best. For me to answer any questions is like a two year old knowing a few words...
Awesome with the Facebook page. I will try to post as much as possible post as much info as I can get.
Thanks
Jose

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:59 am 

Is there a way to have an info page... How too's page Wiring diagrams etc... One thing I've notice is I usually can find what I'm looking for but only after several days of reading post and searching the correct words on Japanese sites... I'll help where I can but would be cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:02 am 

I like JNCs efforts with the GC110 and GC10. Problem is there are very few of these cars in the hands on ENGLISH speaking people. If language barrier prevents you from talking to owners of these cars or reading the multiple sources of information about these cars (40 years of Japanese magazines and books), then yes you are regulated to the scraps of information let on by english speaking owners. My car was sucessfully saved from the junkyard only because of my close Japanese family and friends.....However it is just an L6 powered Nissan/Datsun. There is nothing difficult about it. Sourcing the correct parts is the only hard part.

There are several more GC10s who are not on this site whose cars have been in the US for at least a decade. The hako is for the car lover who cherishes his car and knows every nook and cranny :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21 am 

i think starting a facebook page is going to detract from this website........i am surprised the moderator has not taken this down....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:15 pm 

I dont see it detracting i see it as an Extension... I mean theres like 3 or 4 facebook Hakosuka pages. None in which Give info. I will still come here always

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:23 pm 

I don't think Facebook groups detract from websites, it's a completely different environment.

I love JNC, it's a cool site and I visit it multiple times a day and that wont change. As others have said, it's hard to find info and we need to look everywhere we can, I bet every one of you visits at least 2-3 car websites a day :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:22 pm 

for what its worth, i'm only trying to expand the community, as i stated before I'm NOT trying to take people away from JNC; i'm not making people drink the cool aide... some of you are taking this way too personally. for me most of the pics on this site are blocked on gov. computers, and social networking is acceptable. this means that i can access FB pages just fine. this means nothing to most of you, but there are several members on this site who are Military, so this will add to their ability to get quick info easily.

Mod's are welcome to delete my post, but i think its silly to take this personally. i just want to increase the participation. i own a Hakosuka , so thats why i chose to make a Hakosuka owners group. i love other JNC's i want several others, so i'm not trying to be an elitist.. just trying to find common interest people. (i will still Troll JNC..)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:25 pm 

ALSO, there are MANY people on here who have no FB interest at all..

AND this isn't a "Faction" just trying to build an additional community for those of us who have common interests.

oh and theres a JNC Fb page... i don't think that takes away from the group does it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:26 pm 

BTW, you dont have to own a Hako, ive added several members already who dont own one, but are looking into buying one, or just has an interest in the car.

Last post for now...promise!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:19 pm 

From a social networking standpoint, FB is the way to go. From a technical/archival standpoint, this is where FB fails. It's very difficult to track threads, find topics, etc. I will rely on the forums for this. So with that said, cool to have both FB and this forum!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:38 pm 

DmK66 wrote:
To me, this does not look good. No offence to Wookieballa (or indeed 47Hako) but I dont reckon we need any more factions on JNC.
When the NSR first appeared I was a couple of weeks away from getting my GC10 Skyline and was a bit concerned about there being a seperate "area" for Skyline owners. I've been looking at JNC for 3 years and always liked the fact that people seemed to appreiciate everyone else's taste in cars, I came on looking at kev's Hako and then had my eyes opened to Japanese cars. I love my Hako but I'd take familycar's HR30 just as it is. Or a Bellett, GX71 Mark 2, etc...

There now seem to be quite a few Skyline owners on here. Some people are very open and sharing, some people are more reserved. Some ask loads of questions and some have all the answers. Some just think they do.
I have seen non-Skyline owners and potential Skyline owners "cut dead" by some owners on here, it seems a real shame. It's a little like qualified drivers having a go at learners out on the road, we were all there once.
Unless you read Japanese, JNC is just about the best resource for pre-32 Skylines available. The long running threads like kev's and 31Gun's hold a wealth of knowledge and there are now a couple of C110's being documented in huge detail.

We dont need seperate groups, we all have JNC. I'm already seeing people on here telling others how their car should be. I see people who ask a question and then if they dont get an answer within an hour, chuck all their toys out the pram. JNC is International, the person with your answer may be busy. Or asleep.

I'm gonna stop now coz I've run out of things to say.
Thanks for listening,
Dan.

None taken…I still highly value JNC very much, however I also go to other sites for other info and get a different view. I've been a member of the UK GT-R site far longer than JNC, and I hardly ever go there anymore, but when I do I always feel greeted with open arms. The world is still a very big place (although it seems like it's getting smaller by the second). I chalk up not getting a response due to lack of time or being just plain lazy. I know I am quite a bit. :oops:

But I will always consider JNC "home base" so to speak; I always end up coming back here. I wish I could "wrench" as much as some of these other guys on here, but sometimes you'd rather let someone else do the work. I wish I could answer more questions, but being away from my car has really put a damper on things for me as well. I'd be more involved but when your away, you have to keep yourself busy when you can't do the things you really want to do…

All I can do now is stockpile parts and reminisce…and try to stay busy with work=P

As for NSR…at this point, it's just a list… But maybe one day, hopefully, one that I (we) can use in the future, when I'm back home and can be more involved. A list that can be used by everyone to get in touch with each other to meet in person...not just online. And not just massive car meets, but if 2 or 3 of you find out you live near each other, you could make it happen at a moments notice. I had such a list when I was in the S. Nevada MR2 Owners Club, it was posted on our website so that we could get a hold of each other and meet up. We did it all the time...

However that was a different car, at a different time…more owners, closer proximity...Trust among owners, I guess. As far as I can recall the info was never used maliciously. The list is still up to this day!!! http://www.snimoc.com/members.htm :shock: Wow!!! Even if I could do that right now, just make a phone call and set up a meet with a few people, I only know 2 other pre-32 owners in S. Nevada. Oh well, the more elusive the car…the less likely you'll see another.

A far as FB, I agree with Jgonzo911, I would use it as an extension, a way to get my "fix" while I'm on FB, just make sure you ad a link to JNC. That being said, I'll always come back here to JNC. :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:41 pm 

not really sure how a fb page could be seen as a middle finger to JNC. we all visit multiple car sites everyday i'm sure. still come back here :tu: still best central location for a broad range of JNC's :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:06 pm 

The notion of where to collect and assemble a broad range of information about a particular car is one I've struggled with for years. Several years back I worked on a project entitled VLG Archives (http://vlg-archives.com/wiki/index.php?title=VLG_Wiki), where we attempted to combine the encyclopedia format of a Wiki with the user interaction of a forum. We created special Wiki tags that allowed users to reference posts and searches in the forum (where the data was) from an editorialized wiki directory. The theory was that we could easily build a reference site which made it easy for owners to drill down on topics they were curious about (like how to source a specific rare part, or time the engine), eventually ending up on an exact post or thread discussing the topic.

Technically it worked really well, but editorially, it was a bit of a flop, because it required someone to stand up and edit the content as it came in. in the end, no one volunteered to do the work, and the Wiki never evolved.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]