#
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Looking for 2TG Engine
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:07 pm 

I am still kicking around the idea of purchasing a 2TG to drop into my TE27, especially since my 2TC is in need of a rebuild. Does anyone know if there is a service out there that imports classic JDM engines? I know that the internet is littered with semi-reputable importers that will sell you a 20v Blacktop for a grand, but does anything like this exist for classic iron?

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a domestic shop that can build a T-series engine, I may consider that as well. I am leery of BRD, however, considering my previous dealings with them.

Post subject: Re: Looking for 2TG Engine
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:27 pm 

The supply of 2TG and 18RG engines from JDM engine importers dried up a long time ago. Most places I called (about 10 years ago) just laughed at me. Most people are looking for the latest and greatest so the importers probably aren't really interested in importing them (even if they could find them).

Toysport sells them and they pop up occasionally on ebay and craigslist.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:23 pm 

I figured that was probably the case with the engine importers. More's the pity.

I am glad that you brought up Toysport. It has come up several times here and there in my research, but I can't tell if it is still an existing company or not. Moreover, complaints about them abound. Do you know their story? Are they still around?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:39 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

jkwade wrote:
I figured that was probably the case with the engine importers. More's the pity.

I am glad that you brought up Toysport. It has come up several times here and there in my research, but I can't tell if it is still an existing company or not. Moreover, complaints about them abound. Do you know their story? Are they still around?

Toysports is very much in business and for most of us is the go to place for hard to find parts.
They are not cheap but they do sell quality stuff. Joel is the owner of Toysports, he truely loves these car. :tu:

Located in Los Angeles CA google it....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:54 pm 

Toysport has been around since the 1980s. I used to hang around their shop back then until I moved out of the local area in 1991. After TRD (where I used to hang out as well) decided to go "all Pro" (i.e., serving professional race teams only) and moved to Irvine, Toysport was the only place to go (until recently, anyways) to get true vintage Toyota JDM parts. In fact, you could even buy stuff TRD was not willing to sell, like the 151 and 152 motors (if you have the cash).

Unfortunately, and this is NOT a knock against Joel, Toysport sounds like they are going down the path that TRD took, too; in one of the threads here (or maybe it was Classic-Celica), Joel has stated that you need to make prior arrangements to visit Toysport. OTOH, I can understand; last time I visited their shop, they had so much stuff and projects going on that it must be difficult to take a break and chit chat with visitors. He's a great guy to work with but I think he tends to overextend himself and lots of little things tend to fall in between the cracks. Which is probably why some people have problems getting in contact with Joel to get status reports on orders.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]