#
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:27 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 11   [ 211 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Lets have a drawing thread!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:40 pm 

Anybody else like to draw? I've been on a few drawing threads on other forums, so I've got a bunch of early Z car bodykit/paint job idea drawings stored on my computer. I was extra bored at my dead end job today, so I started a new one to see how my intercooler idea would look. I've got about an hour and 45 minutes or so in this one. A squirrel took out the power to the dealership around 4pm (not the first time...they run on the power lines and somehow short them out, knocking out the power and killing themselves in the process...pretty gruesome) so I didn't get much further than this on it. Anybody feel free to join in and post your stuff, if you want me to post some of my old drawings, or do some new ones of specific cars, just holler out.
Oh, what the heck, I'll get us started with a few more. This is supposed to be a concept of a Datsun 610 I did to entice a fellow member of Hybridz.org to buy one:
This one was a concept of how a 280z might look if it was built for the Group B rally racing series (these other threads I mentioned got kind of out there...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:32 am 

When I was getting my degree in studio art, the faculty used to toss around a statistic: Less than 1% of all people that graduate college with an art degree are even doing art as a HOBBY ten years later. Pretty depressing really...I try and keep up with it, otherwise you get rusty. I never really drew cars all that much, I got into drawing through super hero comics, which branched out into anime/manga once that became a little more available, so I really don't feel that confident with cars (I had actually never taken an art class until I got to college). But it's pretty fun, and it helps to convince other people (read: the wife) of "the vision" if you are having trouble justifying a certain purchase...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:10 pm 

I thought it would be fun to try and do a retro-modern Celica too. I used the Smoky Nagata car in the features for reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:40 pm 

I really think it would take a retro-510 to push toyota into making a new entry level RWD car (though what it would take to push Nissan into making a retro-510 I couldn't say...). Not even the 350z was enough to get them to make a new Supra, so who can say what they are planning to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:38 am 
Administrator

Great drawings, guys... Let's see some more!

Veritech-z brings up a good point. I don't know what Toyota is thinking these days. They definitely have the pockets. But then again, who am I to question the most successful car company in the world today. I too wish they'd throw a bone to the enthusiasts, and they did that with the FJ Cruiser. But the FJ-series Land Cruiser has a bigger following than Celicas or other old school 'yotas. Hopefully that will change soon.

At this point, ANYONE who puts out a cheap RWD 2+2 will have a great seller. It may not rake in the dough like the Camry but it would be a great halo car. Rumors have been circulating that Hyundai may come out with a car in this segment. Perhaps others will follow suit. Toyota is probably more afraid of Hyundai than Nissan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:34 pm 

Here are a few more old drawings that I did, I'm going to do an attempted retro-modern Carrolla AE86 here in a bit since I would LOVE to see something like that come out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:24 pm 

Well, it got a little squished by the scanner, but you get the idea. I just opened up a random 07 Carolla side view from Cardomain and shortened it into a two door hatchback. It's a bit egg-y, kind of like an NX2000...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:22 am 
Administrator

Sweet! you are quite the artist, man. Love the "retro" panda paint job too :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:35 am 

It's not a hachi if it's not Panda in my book. Well, two tone anyway, I like the black top/grey bottom paint job as well. Anybody want anything else? Any Mazda or Mitsu requests or submissions? I was kinda hoping that there would be more people that wanted to contribute...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:13 pm 

NES themed Z31:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:19 pm 

(1024x768 version)

I'm not much with pen and ink. I traced and redrew these in photochop, pretty much just using the lasso and paintbrush tools. No effects, I just select each individual area of light, shadow and highlight, then block it out in solid colour with the paintbrush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:45 pm 

Now we're getting somewhere! Great looking pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:49 am 
awesome! if only i've so much time...great artwork guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:29 pm 

seventhskyline wrote:

Haha, I think I know where you pulled that one from!

Great work guys, both of you. Very talented :)

Veritech: I'd love to see some more polished versions of your work, clean and sharp lines. A little more refined, y'know? Got anything like that?

Anyway, here's some of my stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:02 pm 

van wrote:
Veritech: I'd love to see some more polished versions of your work, clean and sharp lines. A little more refined, y'know? Got anything like that?

Not really, but that's typically an artifact of my scanner anyway since most of my drawings are done freehand at work. I'll usually just grab the first piece of printer paper that nobody is watching, and just hammer something out to kill time directly in pen. Working in color is new for me, I come from a printmaking background and I'm used to having really line heavy black and white images with a lot of cross hatching. Also, cars really aren't my specialty, so it's been really challenging to get the proportions to my satisfaction. For every car drawing I post, there are usually about 5 or 6 that got thrown out...

Nice drawings by the way! I'm feeling like doing a few new ones here soon to plan out my interior and rear taillight treatment, and I'm still thinking of doing my take on Bow's retro-S13 idea...I've just been really busy getting all my stuff straight to go to grad-school for my master's in Digital Media.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:28 pm 

Here's one that's sort of related to cars...except it's got a motorcycle in it...I've been messing around with using Photoshop 7 as a sort of digital sketchbook lately, and this is one of the pictures I've been working on:
More like what you were looking for, or not so much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:15 am 

Somewhat, yeah! The girl looks great. Some of the shading is a bit sketchy/scribbled looking, but all in all I like it. That might be your preference for doing things.

The lines of the bike are very shaky, I'm not sure if that's a deliberate style choice or not. As an observer, the impression I get is simply that the lines are shaky and rushed, rather than being the result of a focused and deliberate effort.

So I guess what I meant when I said I'd love to see some more "finished" looking work from you, is that I want to see something that looks like it took hours. I really mean no offense when I say so, but it looks like the linework (not including the colours) for some of your drawings took 20 minutes. Do you get what I mean? The impression I get, therefore, is that you're sketching something out, and then just going "yep that's all I can be bothered doing there, time for some colours!" or "time to upload!" I want to look at it and see the dedication in the lines, the steady and strong curves and lines, that sort of thing.

My experience has been that making stylistic choices is great for personal pleasure, but as far as audience opinion goes, it's a wasted effort - even a bad move - to make such choices if your intended goal isn't apparent to the viewer. Happens to me a lot, haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:20 am 

Actually, this one here is a great example of what I mean by clear and obvious dedication and focus in the linework:

That's a really good piece!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:49 am 

That one was drawn specifically to be in my portfolio for getting into my master's program, I'm glad you like it! The rest pretty much WERE sketches that were just for my own benefit (that benefit being: what can I do to avoid going insane at my boring dead-end job?). For that one I actually did it in pencil first with circle guides and a straight-edge (though the car was drawn from memory, and the girls were done with no models). The reason the motorcycle girl looks sketchy is because she isn't finished either, and the bike is just a rough-in. Just something I was working on to get a feel for drawing in photoshop with the tablet interface. I'm usually hesitant to show in-progress pics for that reason. This one I put up on your site (shameless plug: http://www.ridetheline.com) but nobody has commented on was another image that was done for my portfolio:
That was straight into pen completely freehand and from imagination (ie no models or references). that's a little more typical of my usual drawing technique, and it took most of a saturday shift to complete (and then some...probably 8 hours or so?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:18 pm 

did this one just for you, Van:

Last edited by veritech-z on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 11   [ 211 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next