#
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: 76 RA29 (in pictures)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:06 pm 

Got this car sometime ago. I don't have any direction with it short term, I just kind of add/remove things as I go or when they break. Pulled it from a field where the cracks in the ground were so large you could lose a small child in them. Fuel pump and some carb gaskets later and it was running.

It's definitely a rat, but at least it came by it honestly. I buffed the primer and what's left of the paint and, being in finishing, it will likely stay like that for years. It will eventually be minimalist track/driver... engine is still up in the air, but I've got a feeling I know what it will be :)

Here's a few pics from my work cp/photobucket. They're not in any order, and sometimes I do weird stuff, so if you have any questions, post up, but please don't quote the pics. I'll post more when I get back to the house.

Post subject: Re: 76 RA29 (in pictures)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Seems to be a lot of these popping up lately. Mine was the only one on the forum for a long time. Nice to see the hatchies getting some love. Mine sits neglected in the driveway for now. Waiting on parts to get it back down on the ground. Looks like a fun start. The weber is so much better than the stock. Haven't decided on engine for mine. The 20R is running fine for now, so I keep it that way. Have a 22RE and a 7MGTE laying around that keep tempting me. Of course, lately the 1UZ voices have been getting louder in my head :lol: Have you made it out to the north Texas monthly yet?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:58 pm 

OkieRA29 wrote:
Have you made it out to the north Texas monthly yet?

That was going to be my question. :mrgreen:

Next DFW meet is this Sunday, December 2nd. :tu:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:57 pm 

I've seen alot of LB's popping up on the forums, too... Figure I'd add mine :) I found this one two years ago and haven't really done anything to it. At first I wanted the LB baaad, then for a bit I had coupe remorse, but I much prefer the hatch... Come to think of it, I've never had a trunk on a car???

Yeah, ya'll caught me, I've been neglecting the freebirds meet. It's just that Tarrant co is sooo far away for us Collin co folk, lol.

as for the mill, the 20r will be present for a bit longer. I've got some "tests" to run on it, before it's gone. I'm normally into big power, but I think the goals for the celica will be 400-500.

here's some more pics of how I found it and when I picked it up, note the cracks in the earth.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:08 pm 

Aaron Venable wrote:
Yeah, ya'll caught me, I've been neglecting the freebirds meet. It's just that Tarrant co is sooo far away for us Collin co folk, lol.

Hey, if he can come from Oklahoma, you have no excuse. :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:53 pm 

Aaron thats a nice looking Celica. I kinda dig the fading / wearing away paint. Looks like you have the height and rims sorted. I look forward to seeing what you do to the car. :tu:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:20 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Yeah, I drove my celica 3 hours on the bumpstops, in the rain with the 30 year old wipers, no exhaust to speak of and no breather cap on the valve cover. At least you are in Texas already :lol: Your rims, are they Rotas or XXR? I am really trying to decide between the two. Oh yeah, one more benefit for making the freebirds meet, there is a little old lady, original owner RA29 that makes it sometimes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:37 pm 

OkieRA29 wrote:
Your rims, are they Rotas or XXR? I am really trying to decide between the two.

My money is on Konig Rewinds. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:13 am 

Okie, I have seen the pictures of the mint ra29 you speak of and I would have to park my celica far away so that it didn't give her car the aids(rust).

And John, your money would have been in the right place, they are Rewinds. A temp solution to get rid of the solid steelies.

As for the meet this weekend, it would be a long shot. The celica's tore down and the red car is on slicks and the registration is out, no inspection, etc. If I put the celica back together in time, I might... if the old lady says I can go :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:01 am 
JNC Enthusiast

That is what I thought. Can't get the rewinds in the sizes and offsets I want, which is why I am looking at the Rotas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:36 pm 

I like your RA29 with that nice patina look. Should keep it that way. :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:00 pm 

Supraman wrote:
I like your RA29 with that nice patina look. Should keep it that way. :tu:

thanks, it will be a long time before I touch the paint... it's the shoemaker's kids theme.. ugghhh it's so true

i worked some ports a bit yesterday, also finished the intake... very slow going this time of the year

it's such a bummer to work on something I have no interest in :( but I do want to do a couple things with this motor still in, so...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:28 pm 

looks like a fun project. love that year...

i notice in the second picture i think http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq81/tvrbo/CELICA/Forum%20Sized/celica_001.jpg
those wheels you have on there -what are they? i am looking a set just like those in 5lug -and i like them -yet don't know what they are -and if they are worth 150$. yours sadly look to be pitted pretty bad -sorry to see :( because those look good otherwise...

cheers-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:27 am 

crown wagon - yeah, I don't know much about those wheels, the center caps had a logo on them, but they're so oxidized I couldn't really make it out. I've seen them on other celica's, but then again there were lots of faux wire wheels in the 70's.

So I got some time to mess about on the Celica a bit.

I needed a clean spot to assemble the head, so I washed off a galvanized drip pan and found this... lol, I haven't had any rotor irons or housings in probably 6 years... I looked across the shop at my rx7 and we laughed together :)

Anyway, here's some pics of old greasy parts and whatnot

Autozone called, they finally got the intake gasket in, Rightstuff sitting on the seams of the deck, I left for the parts house...
...and put this on, which is much easier now
Failpro
Moved the heater hose around there :tu:
And my lawnmower's back together

Fiddled with the Aisan a bit, took it around the block, made a couple WOT stabs and it perked up quite a bit.

The carb has way too many leaks though, as does the exhaust, and now that it's got some compression again I can move the little experiment I want to do...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:48 am 
JNC Fanatic

Sweet, I love what you have done so far. Definately try to make it out some time.

81 TE75 Corolla SR5 Sport Coupe modified
Custom 93 Toyota minitruck

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]