#
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:30 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: My newest toy (it's only got two wheels)!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:04 am 

Thats gona be a nice bike!!

Still (sorrie) a slight coment:
I hope this will not cause a horrible speed wobble ,as the sub frame is part of the total strength of your frame.Make sure you build it safe!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:33 pm 

mielko wrote:
Thats gona be a nice bike!!

Still (sorrie) a slight coment:
I hope this will not cause a horrible speed wobble ,as the sub frame is part of the total strength of your frame.Make sure you build it safe!!!

Thanks for the comment! That's a worry for me too and I'm not quite done welding that section up yet. There's going to be some additional bracing welded in to tie it together with the backbone solidly. It is very strong right now, but I would like it to be a bit overdone, haha.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:32 am 

Alrighty, as Mielko pointed out last time, the rear frame connection point to the back bone was a bit of a worry. I wanted to make absolutely sure that this was plenty strong, so I did some additional welding in this area!

You can see here that there is now an additional piece connecting the bent frame back to it's original weld spot on the backbone.

Very thick steel was used for this and it definitely helped strengthen up the area a bit. You can also see in both of these pictures that I've taken a piece of steel and wrapped it around the inside of the bend on the frame and then welded it in place. This will hopefully help strengthen it up a bit more. I then did the same thing for the front bends as well, hopefully triangulating the whole area and making it plenty strong.

The should be plenty strong!

Then, while i had the welder out, I filled in the holes that were created by cutting out the original front tank mounts.

I also plugged up the back of the frame.

And then ran a rear bar with a mounting plate for mounting the battery/electronics.

Next up was trying to get the Dream 50 front forks mated to the CB125T front triples.

You can see here that there are a few problems right off the bat. The easiest to notice is that the forks tubes are shorter. This doesn't bother me too much as the front forks will be very stiff and a lower front end means a lower frontal area. The big problem is that the Dream 50 fork tubes are skinnier.

What the poor Dream looks like after removing the front suspension.

While I was thinking about the front forks, I noticed that turning the triples resulted in a very notchy, disgusting feel. The bearings in here were definitely shot. So I took the triple apart.

Now, this being the first bike I've worked on in earnest, I don't understand a lot of things. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty certain that when you take the triple apart, the balls from the ball bearings (both upper and lower) shouldn't explode all over the floor. Then again, maybe that's how these are designed, it just seems like a bad idea though.

After picking all the little balls up off the floor I decided to call it a night!

Until next time!
Thanks for looking guys!

Cheers
David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:24 pm 

Dang dude! you've been busy! Its cool that you are making your own mounting tabs. For a second I thought you might just cut them off the Dream frame, but then would have trouble selling it on YJ.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:56 pm 

Alrighty, not much of an update because I was slammed busy all weekend. I did get a little bit of work done in the few hours I had available though!

Most importantly, I sorted out my front fork issue. The main reason I was going to use the Dream50 front forks was so that I could easily and painlessly use the Dream wheel and brake. However, they were too short and too skinny to use in a safe enough manner for me, so out of curiosity I tried mounting the Dream wheel in the CB125T forks and to my surprise, it fits perfectly. The bolt is the exact same diameter and the distance between the forks is identical as well. So, I ordered a set of newer CB125T forks which have a proper mount for a caliper and those should be arriving soon. Then, I just need to sort out my front triple bearing issue and I'm golden!

Next up was the rear. Here's the rear wheel and disc of the Dream temporarily mounted in the CB swing arm.

I'm just using a spacer at the moment because I didn't want to remove the brake caliper (which double as the appropriate spacer) from the Dream. The biggest problem I'm running into is that the CB forks are a little too wide (to accommodate for the style of chain adjusters it uses). Since the chain adjusters are essentially a big "U" and sit on both sides of the swing arm mount, the bolt for the Dream is about two thick washers too short.

I'm still mulling over potential solutions to this problem in my head. Ideally, a new bolt would solve the problem, but finding the perfect diameter bolt in the perfect length aint gonna be easy.

Next up was dismantling the rest of the frame, starting with the swing arm.

And then the center stand, brake lever and rear sets came out as well!

I feel much better knowing that I've got the majority of heavy hitting issues sorted out now. It's getting to the point where I need to do just a little more frame clean up (and adding a brace or two here and there), order some new parts to make everything move like butter and then start on the engine.

She's moving right along!
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:41 pm 

Sideglide wrote:
Dang dude! you've been busy! Its cool that you are making your own mounting tabs. For a second I thought you might just cut them off the Dream frame, but then would have trouble selling it on YJ.

Haha, I try to get down into the garage after work everyday (that rarely works out though). I'm trying to keep from cutting or damaging anything on the Dream so I can sell it all (there's good money to be made there)! That means I gotta make some stuff from scratch though, haha.

Post subject: Re: My newest toy (Dream 50 -> CB125T)!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:05 pm 

Hmm, if you're going for CB front forks...does this mean you won't be needing the dream front form outer springs?? I got some yen that feels awfully hot in my pocket.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:11 pm 

Sideglide wrote:
Hmm, if you're going for CB front forks...does this mean you won't be needing the dream front form outer springs?? I got some yen that feels awfully hot in my pocket.

That yen shall be making it to my pocket! They got your name all over em!

So, I got this package in the mail the other day. I wonder what it could be?

Forks!

They are late model CB125T Showa forks to be exact. These things are in excellent condition. There are a few reasons I went for these. First, they're Showa. Second, they fit my upper triples. Third, they have a caliper mount. Two big downsides though; the caliper mount is on the wrong side and the bolt hole for the wheel bolt is too large.

Since the bolt hole is directly in the center of the fork, I'm solving the caliper mount problem by mounting the forks flipped. This puts the caliper mount in exactly the right place and should make no difference to the operation of the forks. The too large hole was handled with this tool right here.

Seems odd to be making the hole even larger when it is already too big. Here's my logic. The hole is currently 14 mm, I need it to be 12 mm and this bit is 16 mm. On the old rear shocks, I have four spare spacers (the bit that goes between the mount on the frame and the rubber of the shock). These measure in at an internal diameter of 12 mm and an external diameter of 16 mm. Drilled and fit (it's protruding out here so it is easier to see what I did).

All pushed in and ready to go!

That allowed me to get the front tire mounted correctly.

I tossed on the rear tire, swing arm and center stand so I could mount the front up correctly. Then, I rolled it outside for some shots of how the final look is going to be.

Not bad at all!

I then threw on the brake and clutch levers as well as the caliper to see how close I was to fitting.

As you can see, the caliper is going to need a bracket, but that is incredibly easy to handle in comparison to everything I've dealt with up to now.

I then rolled Sideglide's Dream out for some comparison shots. I was curious just how different in size they were.

Turns out, they're still nearly identical in size!

Then it was back in for some more welding work. I put the engine back in so I could mount the side stand. The main reason behind using the side stand was so that I could remove the center stand as it would interfere with where my rear sets were going to be.

You can see here where I've started work on the rear sets.

Here's the mount for the peg. The thick steel is actually a left over piece from the frame and the centering pieces welded to it are steel nails.

Tacked in place with the peg checking for location. The top arm is welded to a giant spacer that sits around the swing arm bolt. The giant spacer is actually the old rear wheel spacer from the CB125T cut in half.

Here it is mostly welded in place. I have some more welding to due on the inside that's going to have to wait until I dismantle the rear end again. I'm also thinking of adding an additional brace connecting the giant spacer to something else, just haven't decided what. You can also see my future placement of the rear master cylinder here too.

The location is perfect for my legs. It is very comfortable, yet still high enough to give me plenty of ground clearance. It's actually considerably more comfortable and spacious than the Dream originally was. Now I just gotta make the other side. After both rear sets are made, I'm going to properly mount the rear master cylinder and the front caliper. Then, I gotta sort the chain and finally dismantle and weld some more!

Thanks for looking guys!
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:47 pm 

Damn, good stuff! On it7s own, the fork rake looks like it's kicked out but the shot next to my bike makes a near identical line!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:07 pm 

Alright, first things first, I finally found the PC cable and battery charger to my old Sony Cybershot, so no more cell pics from the shop. Naturally, I had to take a test shot to see how it'd do.

Not super pretty, but much better than my poor cell could handle. So, next, I got to work on the left side peg. After some welding, cutting and re-welding, I got it lined up just about even with the right side peg.

And me mocking up where the shifter is going to sit about.

Now that i had two pegs I couldn't resist but sitting on it and seeing how it felt as a package. This is about how it will sit in finished form, the only thing that will change will be the handlebars as I have some clip-ons on the way. This thing fits me like a glove. The pegs are almost at the perfect height and are plenty comfortable. The whole thing feels great!

I need to shave... With the left side peg mounted, I got to work mounting the rear brake master cylinder. I created a little L-Bracket, tacked it on and then bolted the brake master to it to get a feel for positioning.

The problem with having it in this position is that it is a bit too far away from the pedal, so it needs to have an extension. It's also slightly further outboard than the pedal, so the extension needs a kink in it.

A trip to the hardware store found me with a turnbuckle (or whatever the proper name is) and some stainless steel all thread. A little heat and a lot of muscle and I ended up with this:

This is looking down from the top and you can see the kink I put in the stainless.

This works fantastically and pushes on the master rather well. It sits a little low, but I don't think I'll ever lean the bike over that far, and if I do it's probably because I've fallen off. Here's a shot from a little further away.

With that handled, I started on the shift linkage. I took the original linkage off of the Dream and bolted it up. I ran into two problems. The first was that the wider engine sits further outboard than dream, meaning the linkage needs a kink in it. The second was that the linkage was a bit too short. So, another turnbuckle and stainless steel all thread were ordered up to do the trick.

Here you can see the kink in the original shift linkage.

This shifts amazingly well. It just pops up and down through the gears like it was meant to be like this.

The only problem with it is that the side stand gets in the way when it's up. This is because the side stand sits further outboard than the Dream 50s side stand. I'll have to find a way to tackle that problem sometime in the future. For now, though, this is as far as I've gotten.

Thanks for reading guys!
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:52 pm 

From the looks of it, it seems it would be very difficult to kick start it?

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:11 pm 

Howdy John!

It's hard to see but if you look in this picture, you can see that the brake lever tucks in quite close to frame. The kick starter swings pretty far out and clears both the lever and the peg. I kicked it over a few times just to double check though, no problems that I ran into yet.

Quote:

Cheers
David

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:09 pm 

Nakazoto wrote:
The kick starter swings pretty far out and clears both the lever and the peg. I kicked it over a few times just to double check though, no problems that I ran into yet.

Excellent. :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:52 pm 

So, I took last Thursday off and Friday was the Japanese version of Thanksgiving. This resulted in a nice 4-day long weekend which really let me get to work. Since finding quality Turkey in Japan is like finding the lost city of Atlantis, I decided to keep myself busy in the garage with my Bellett and the CB!

My first step was to get the reservoir for the brake master mounted, which meant welding a nut to a tab. This piece of steel was cut the size and shape I needed and then I ran a stainless bolt through it with a non-stainless nut on the other end.

I then pulled out the welder and welded that nut right in place!

Here it is welded and mounted into place.

And a shot from a little further back. The hose has a slight kink in it which will get fixed with a longer piece of hose during final installation.

With the rear brake mostly sorted (I still have a little more welding to do to be completely done) I started in on the front brake. My first problem is that I'm broke, I've got zero yen. So instead of finding an appropriate piece of thick aluminum for my front caliper mounting bracket I was left digging through my scrap pile looking for something suitable. The only piece of metal I found thick enough to do the job was the old brake rotor from the CB. Since it was pretty pooched already, I didn't feel bad about tearing into it.

That took four cut off wheels. I had no idea that brake disc steel was so insanely tough! Here's the piece I ended up with.

And roughly where it will sit.

I needed to put three 8mm holes in it, so I pulled out my cheap Chinese drill bit and watched the brake rotor laugh at it.

After a trip to the hardware store and a couple of good bits later, I finally had my holes. I then cut off all the excess steel and cleaned the whole bracket up a bit.

Turned out alright if I do say so myself!

Here it is holding the caliper in place.

Now the problem with this is that the top of the caliper sits just a bit too close to the rotor. 95% of the pad is exactly where I want it to be so my plan was to just not worry about it (since moving the top of the caliper out is a hugely difficult task). The problem was the clearance between the caliper and the rotor itself. Clearance was tight here to begin with, but moving the top of the rotor in caused it to be too tight for my comfort.

So, I worked on it a bit and ended up with this, giving me the clearance I need. I figure I'll do some test rides like this (on a nice long straight where I can stop using the rear brake if I have to) and if it bothers me then I'll go through the trouble of making a new bracket again.

The next thing that was bothering me was the gas tank. The front of it was sitting a little too low for my liking. So, I sliced off the old mounts, filled in the holes, drilled new holes and welded in a new bolt.

The result was instantly noticeable. I think it looks much, much better!

And a shot from a little further away.

And that's where it sits at the moment. The next goal is to sort the exhaust, which is going to be interesting. Since my new rear sets sit much lower than the originals, space for an exhaust is tight. Space on the left side of the bike with the side stand and shift linkage is nearly non-existent. This is pushing me towards running a scrambler style exhaust (well, that and the fact that I love scrambler style exhausts). It all depends on what I can get my hands on for cheap. There's a decent used scrambler style exhaust on Yahoo Auctions at the moment for 2,000 yen, which is about the same as three beers, so I may take a chance on it.

At any rate, thanks for reading guys and I'll be back with more progress as it happens!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:13 pm 

Coming along very nicely. :tu: :mrgreen:

Now I feel bad about asking you to work on your vacation... :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:40 pm 

john wrote:
Coming along very nicely. :tu: :mrgreen:

Now I feel bad about asking you to work on your vacation... :P

No need to feel bad, all you're really asking me to do is to hang out and play around with an old radio. That's not even close to work, haha!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:26 pm 

Fantastic Dave, this bike is like MC Hammer, 2 Legit 2 Quit!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:23 pm 

Alright, so while waiting for bondo to harden on my Bellett, I did some minor work on the CB!

First, I received a package in the mail. Inside were these beautifully made clip ons!

And here they are clipped on!

I'm not sure I like them so high up, but they're just mounted there temporarily. Once I can roll it outside and really get a feel for where they sit, I'll adjust them further.

Next the exhaust saga begins! You can see in the background of two of the pics above a nice scrambler exhaust leaning against the wall. I bought this with the intention of modifying it to fit and having this cool scrambler exhaust. Well, it was just different enough that it would take a lot of cutting and welding to fit. I figured that if I was going to be cutting and welding, I should just use the factory pipes, since they're already going to be scrapped and are the perfect size. So, I busted out my cut off wheel and grinder and got to cutting. I was shocked to find out that the exhaust was double walled (as was my cut off wheel which didn't last for very many cuts). This nasty brown (read: rusty) pipe was inside of the larger silver piping.

The exhaust would flow through this smaller piping instead and the larger pipe was just for looks. Also, and this was the really shocking bit, the smaller pipe was crimped in the center blocking flow almost completely.

Exhaust was supposed to flow through this! It's about the same collective size as a drinking straw. I'm not really sure what purpose this would serve other than to officially neuter the performance of the engine.

After throwing all that piping away, I was left with a nice collection of curves and straights.

Now, I was trying to think what kind of exhaust to go with. I had my heart set on a scrambler exhaust for two reasons really. The first being that with the shift linkage and new peg locations, there's not a whole lot of room on the bottom half of the bike anymore. If I were to run an exhaust that way, it would have to be a two into one and tuck right under the brake lever. The second reason was that I think scrambler exhausts are just damn cool! So, with a little bit of planning and grinder work, I got started on making a completely custom scrambler exhaust.

The curves won't be perfectly smooth and the entire exhaust will most likely be a little turbulent, but when compared to the pea shooter of an exhaust before, it should flow immensely better. Also, not really going for an all out screamer here, just something that tucks up and hides nicely.

I am liable in the future to rip all this out and start again, but for now, I'll continue down this path and see what kind of craziness I can come up with! That's as far as I've come so far though.

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:32 pm 

So that crimp in the piping is OEM?!?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:46 pm 

john wrote:
So that crimp in the piping is OEM?!?

Ya, pretty insane, right! The crimps and bends are too well executed to be added later and the exhaust seems to have never been opened up in the past. I can't even begin to imagine how much power that robbed! I'm fairly certain that the pipes on the Dream 50 would flow better than this thing.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next