So I don't know how others have fared with BRD Racing, but I can't speak highly for the aluminum radiator they sell (http://www.brdracing.com/toyota_2tc_3tc_cooling.htm
). "With Appropriate Brackets these are a perfect fit for the once impossible to properly fit TE27, TE21, TE28 1971-1974 Corolla." Frankly, that is bullshit. If you have been keeping up with this build, you know that I had a clogged radiator and that I ordered the BRD Griffin Radiator. I was pretty excited for it...getting recore on an old radiator is $$$ and the aluminum radiator would not only be cheaper, but lighter and better at cooling. Great. But before I pulled the trigger, I called BRD and discussed fitting the radiator with them. I just had a few of questions. "Do I need to modify anything to make it fit?" No, it drops right in. "What sort of brackets do I need?" Any universal brackets will work. "What about my hoses? Will they fit, or do I need to get some custom ones (I asked this because the picture on the website shows the upper hose being on a different side)?" Nope, you can even use your stock hoses.
So I ordered the radiator. The first thing that I noticed is that there is no way that it will fit in there the way it was sitting. First of all, the water pump pulley and fan were waaaaaaay too far forward. Even with the fan off, there was just not enough space there. So I had to go to the junkyard to find a later pulley, and I had to order (for the second time) a new water pump. Even still, fitment was a no go on either side of the radiator. The battery had to be relocated to the passenger's side (weirdly, there is more room over there) and the coil had to be moved to an odd location. Fine, done. Oh, and I obviously had to purchase an electric fan with the bunch too, as the stock fan would never fit. If you haven't noticed, I am quickly racking up costs on this venture.
I bought some universal brackets from Summit which work...okay. They aren't great, but I guess they get the job done. Mind you, it has taken me days to get to this point. Now the hoses...I knew they weren't going to work as soon as I got the radiator. It is HUGE compared to the stock unit. And the lower hole is also 2 inches in diameter, way bigger than anything on the Corolla (which uses 1.25 and 1.5 holes). So I have to order some flexible hose and a reducer for the 2 inch hole. At this point, I have gone through about 5 or 6 combinations of hoses and reducers. Let me tell you, the finished product is UGLY. It looks like a Dr. Seuss creation. But I got it all in, sort of. Except not at all really, because as soon as I got the engine up to operating temperature, the lower hose blew out of place because the reducer is too freaking big for it. So now, new hose, or new reducer, or something. I can't believe how much this has cost me so far, in both time and money, and it looks so bad. I am so pissed, but there is nothing that can be done for it now, I am stuck with it.
Oh, and BRD was supposed to send me an intake gasket with the radiator. It took nearly two months for me to finally get that.
In other news, smoke is pouring out the PCV valve on my valve cover when it is running. I'm afraid something is in a bad way in this engine, but I can't tell because of this freaking radiator problem. I don't really have the space to accommodate a full strip down and rebuild, either. I just want to stop the bleeding and drive the bloody thing...lol