#
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:20 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: ***Need help with my TA12 Carina!***
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:54 am 

Hi guys. I got a problem that i'm trying to resolve and anything would help. Thanks in advance for whatever you can contribute.

I have a 72 Carina with a stock 2TC motor. The back story: Driving one day and the car would keep on sputtering. I couldn't keep the throttle on because it would start to break up. I had a 45DCOE webber hanging around anyways so I decided to install it thinking it was the 32/36 that was bad. After install, the motor would start up but after 10 to 15 min i noticed the fuel pressure would start dropping (installed an FP gauge) until it hit zero then would just die!

I posted here before and was told that it might be my gas tank and it might need a cleaning and re-sealing. about $300 dollars and a couple of weeks later, got the tank back and installed it back but after all the connection was back up, now the car wont start!

I also installed some new suspension on the car and have not bled the clutch cyclinder and brakes yet. Would that have anything to do with my current situation? So to make it easier, I made my question list below. Once again, whatever help you can give is very much appreciated!

Questions:

1) Could I have connected the hard lines wrong in the tank? If so, why would my fuel pressure gauge be reading 3-3.5 psi? (webers dont need a fuel return line.)

2) Could they have sealed the fuel lines when they re-lined the fuel tank? I called the guy and he said that it souldnt have went in that far because of the consistancy of the liner....i beg to differ.

3) Could it be that the clutch master/ brake master is drained since I changed all the brake/suspension and havent bled them yet?

4) Any suggestions?

old engine setup with 32/36
new setup with the weber 45 DCOE ( FYI the FPR is removed)

1972 Toyota Carina (TA12)
1997 Toyota Camry LE (98 Supra Headlights, Prelude SH tailights, EVO Ver.2 Wide Body, DC sports exhaust, Neon green under car kit, stock 4cyl but chromed out!)

Post subject: Re: ***Need help with my TA12 Carina!***
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:25 am 

i had same situation happening to me on my corona. and came to find out it was the fuel filter. it was clogged with small sand like particles. due to my old gas tank having rust. so i flushed the fuel line and replaced thefilter and it was fine again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:31 am 
Administrator

i had a similar situation and it turned out to be silicone sealant contamination
if that's your problem, you'll need to somehow clean out the fuel line
or replace it if you can get ahold of a bender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:35 pm 

Check the fuel pump and the fuel filter. Now as far as i know weber require return lines because without them they start squirting fuel everywhere. As far as master and slave cylinders are concerned, u=its best not to leave them dry, especially if they have been used.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:33 pm 

Thanks for the input guys!!! I really appreciate it! As soon as I get a chance to work on the car, I will disconnect the fuel lines from the tank and flush it though to see if there is any gunk in them.

Murad:

There is no fuel return line coming from the carb itself. You happen to have a picture of where the fuel return is suppose to be located? I'm looking at other setups and I don't see one also. Thanks for the input guys. Keep them coming just in case flushing don't do.

PS: Fuel pump is new so is the fuel filter. Fuel pressure is still up around 3.5 PSI and regulated by the manual fuel pump.

1997 Toyota Camry LE (98 Supra Headlights, Prelude SH tailights, EVO Ver.2 Wide Body, DC sports exhaust, Neon green under car kit, stock 4cyl but chromed out!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:57 pm 

The fuel return line isint on the carb itself, but should be installed before the carb. It only maintains the pressure that the pump is pumping. Some pumps don't need return lines, because they have a valve inside them that doesen't let the pump to pump any more fuel pressure than needed. Will post a pic on how its hooked up on my car tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:34 pm 

FWIW, I've run a 32/36 on no less than 20 cars, only once with a return line. Never had any issues from that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:33 am 

dont kbow if side draft has them but how about the floaters iside the carbs? i herd the stay stuck sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:14 am 

Here is a pic of how im using a fuel return line from a VW Golf MK2. Works great, but make sure its from a carby golf.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:31 pm 

your problem is not fuel ,not air , not timing ,no compression , no filter , no tank

if you give me your rims ill tell you
hehehe

nice rims btw jelous :) (in the good way)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:49 pm 

Thanks for all the info guys! Murad, I think that's your fuel pressure regulator. In the 2TCs the mechanical fuel pump is only rated around 3 to 4 psi i think so we don't have those external fuel pumps. As soon as I get to work on the car, I will give you guys an update. Thanks again!

Rudy

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]