A little more progress to report today.
All ready for the day
first order of business, get the crank out. so, out comes the rear main seal
off come the main caps
got it out and started to clean it up a little, I think it'll live
then I decided to work on the front of the engine
took off the tensioner and took the wire wheel to the block
cleaned up the threads
cleaned up the parts and put them back on
decided to go through all the parts that came with it to see what I need to buy. found some interesting stuff in there
brand new head
the ship date on the box is from 1988, I'm betting that's about how long this car has been off the road.
brand new gas flap
I hope the carb's gonna be ok, but I dunno
looks kinda scary to me, might have to find another one.
then I took the hone to the cylinders
they look like they'll be fine
went out and grabbed some lunch, and while I was out, I picked up my new trunk floor
I think all the moisture got into the trunk here
there is a hole about an inch long right next to the edge of the rubber, and it leads straight into the trunk. I can't really be mad at the seller for this, I'm not sure he knew how bad it was. I think everything was just put in the trunk for safe keeping and then the car was stored outside for 20 years or so.
then I spent the rest of the day cleaning pistons
let them soak in a can of carb dip for a while, then attacked them with a wire brush.
more tomorrow, I guess.