#
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Adjustable Coilovers?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:31 pm 

So here's the deal, I have a 72 Toyota Corona Deluxe Coupe and I'm wanting to lower the front end but I don't want to cut my springs. I would much rather find some adjustable coilovers or lowering springs to swap in. Now I haven't been able to find anything specifically made for my car or any Toyota that old so I'm wondering if anyone could give me some input on this subject.

Post subject: Re: Adjustable Coilovers?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:54 pm 

I would contact Gabe @ TechnoToyTuning and see if they have any Ground control sleeve kits that will work. If he comes up empty handed, contact Ground control with the diameter of your strut casing and the weight of your car(to figure spring rate) and they will hook you up with what you need

Im sure any fab. shop in your area can cut you some metal plates for spring perches so you can cut off your existing.

If there was a Corona out here I get the casings and do it for you :)

2001 JZX161 GS300
2005 R6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:51 pm 

For a start, check out Pro Auto in eugene. The Corona (at least mine does) uses double A-arm front suspension and leaf spring rear, same as every domestic used for circle track racing since forever.
Things might have to be machined to fit just right, but Im betting they could at least give you some ideas or point you in the right direction.

When I lived down there they were on the corner of Roosevelt and Seneca but google maps is showing them somewhere else.... cant be too many sprint car shops down there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 am 

Not sure if the 72 Corona is the same as the 75 Corona, but I called TTT for an adjustable coilover for my car. He said he didn't have any. I'm planning on cutting some springs and adding better shocks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:07 pm 

Even if the ground control sleeves don't fit perfectly you can make them work. With my ground controls on my AW11 the sleeves didn't fit the front perfectly, so I welded a bead around the top of the strut to make the sleeve snug.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:11 pm 

I made the same mistake Calus, he has the equivalant to Chevy truck suspension.
You can measure your spring diameter, use google to figure your wanted spring rate and order from: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search-coil-springs.html

Personally I would measure the diameter and hit the junkyard in search for a matching spring from a small truck, then cut to size. Being from a truck they will have a stiffer spring rate and give you that stability we all crave in the corners 8)

Phil~

2001 JZX161 GS300
2005 R6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:24 pm 

Jdmturbo wrote:
Personally I would measure the diameter and hit the junkyard in search for a matching spring from a small truck, then cut to size. Being from a truck they will have a stiffer spring rate and give you that stability we all crave in the corners 8)

Phil~

I like this idea, I will probably do this to get my car lower faster then save up for some QA1's or something to that effect. Do you think some s10 springs would work?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:42 pm 

Oh, it doesn't have regular mcphearson style struts then? Most of my experience is from working on my aw11.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:39 pm 

This is what the front suspension looks like on my car:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:54 am 

The Names Yota, Toyota wrote:

Ohhhh, wow. That... Yeah.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:25 am 

Well shoot. If this is the case, personally I'd just put an airbag on each side. you then weld a mount along the outside for the shock. If you don't want to invest in all the tank, comp, valves lines, etc, you can always put a shrader (not sure on spelling) valve directly on the bags port and adjust your pressure (aka ride height) like you fill a tire.
-just an idea. you wont offend me if you don't use it. :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:50 pm 

Another question, I'm trying to find a way to gain more static neg camber for the front wheels. So far I've found several options but they are for Hondas and im wondering if anyone has any experience with these: http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/product.php?productid=19312&cat=2603&page=1.

Since I have zero experience with Honda's I have no idea what the suspension is like and I don't know if its similar to a Toyota.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:07 am 

I am in the same boat as you.
I've been looking to lower my 72 Corona Mark 2 and cannot find anything detailed enough out there. I am somewhat knowledgable on suspension work but still have way more to learn. I contacted Techno Toy Tuning and they could not do anything for me. Although they stated that our cars (RT generation) has a suspension set up very similar to Datsun Roadsters. That's all I was told. I think it's a good jump off point, but now I'm stuck again on what to do next.

If anyone can chime in on this, is there any way to retro fit and fabricate front/rear AE86 coilovers for a car with this type of suspension?

Sorry to thread jack, just wanted to shed more light on this issue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:34 am 

The only way I have been able to find a way to lower this type of suspension is to either cut springs or to go through kingsprings.com.au. They had the springs for my Corona Mark II now I just have to save the money and get around to ordering. Hope it helps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:04 pm 

theunstated wrote:
The only way I have been able to find a way to lower this type of suspension is to either cut springs or to go through kingsprings.com.au. They had the springs for my Corona Mark II now I just have to save the money and get around to ordering. Hope it helps

That's awesome thanks for the tip. What would you suggest I use for the shocks once lowering with these springs?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:35 pm 

Martino wrote:
theunstated wrote:

That's awesome thanks for the tip. What would you suggest I use for the shocks once lowering with these springs?

Yea, Definitely interested in the shocks. Could KYB gas adjusts be used?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:23 pm 

To gain some negative camber i would check with a local fabrication shop(lifted/off road shop,sand rails) and see what they would charge you to make some adjustable upper control arms. Or if you have a pipe bender,welder and a chop saw, sky's the limit. If you had an extra set of control arms I could "borrow", I would even take a whack at making you some.

My ideal tubular a-arm for you would have a the ball joint stationary and have adjustable heim joints on the end or a threaded rod with the bushing press in the ends. Heim or rose joint ends can be a little harsh for a "street" car 8)

Another option would be to cut an inch or so out of your upper and re-weld, but this doesn't leave me with a warm-fuzzy-safe feeling, there also is no adjustability and Corona arms are not sitting in every J-yard to go back to stock or have a second chance.

And here is the "token" picture to keep you motivated and coming back for more :D

Phil~

2001 JZX161 GS300
2005 R6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:59 pm 

How is the upper arm attached? American cars with this style of front suspension usually install shims between the subframe and upper control arm to space it back towards the center of the car to gain negative camber. Is the attachment point a bar that's parallel with the frame or is it those visible bolts/nuts?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm 

Figuring out some eccentric bushings/bearings for the lower control arms would sort out camber adjustments as well?

For lowering, I'd just measure the diameter of those springs and see if any of the available off the shelf springs fit (2.5", 3", 5", etc.). That way you can pick the rate and length you want. :tu:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:07 pm 

Yea, Definitely interested in the shocks. Could KYB gas adjusts be used?

Once you decide how much you want to lower it, you can see how much shorter the shock needs to be, then I'd go here and see what's the right style and length and buy shocks for that. :tu:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next