#
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:17 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Mitsubishi Debonair V 3000 Royal AMG, and other Stuff.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:35 am 
JNC Enthusiast

There I was last week, sitting at the lights, minding my own business on the way to work (not even thinking about J-tin), and this slides up next to me:

Damn! I thought. Someone's done a real nasty with a bad body kit on a what? A Debonair V? Wassup with dat?

Cruising alongside it past the Imperial Palace, I was aghast at just how ugly it was. Not Stelvio ubafugly, but certainly fugly. Then I took in the AMG badges, and again thought; my HECK! That's even worse. But, it turns out they were born this way. Way back in 1989, before most of us were born perhaps, someone at MMC thought this was a good idea.

Seriously. After getting my 200 yen roll of film processed I am still surprised how disjointed that poor thing looks. Luckily, the same roll of film held a few more spottings from my daily commute. This tasty Z-car stood out, not only because of its condition, but also because of its spirited driver, and dash-mounted navi.

That last shot taken as he lead from pole-position off the line, again around the Imperial Palace. Raspy exhaust snarling at me as I leaned into the corner with him. A few days later, I again had to wash my eyes out, after seeing this Pious in my street.

Nearby, a local car park often sees a few late model workman cars. This day had two drifters parking next to each other.

Popular with the surfers, and notable as being my first car, a Westfalia was parked on the other side (avert eyes if you're aghast at non Japanese cars).

Popular in Japan Mini abound too.

Summer sky in Ginza.

Stopping for a smoke at the shingo is a regular event in Tokyo. Stinks outside as well, even at 50km/h following. Seriously.

The guy on the right had the second biggest top-box I've seen in a while. I imagined him trying to lay it into the corners with it full of water and 20 fresh fugu. The guy on the left with the police avoiding license plate mounting style.

One of the great things about Japan, is there is no shame in anything. Whereas being a metrosexual in the UK or Aus would get pummelled for just walking out the door, in Japan you can grab your man-bag, don your best Gucci loafers, mount your gold Honda Monkey at slide off to work.

Even if you're a neo-Nazi, and spend your days shouting obscenities at 150dB at the police and foreigners, you get away with closing a whole intersection, bemusing the police, making an illegal U-turn, and coming back another day.

Rounding out this roll of film, was a very nicely dressed business man on his morning commute. Perhaps his usual Benz or Lexus was in the shop?

Neko (stuck on an another multi-hour conference call).

Post subject: Re: Mitsubishi Debonair V 3000 Royal AMG, and other Stuff.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:40 am 
Administrator

fun little report :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:37 am 

Love it!

I have a few questions, if I may:

- Was Mitsubishi's "AMG", well, the AMG?

- I think you covered this on an Isuzu 117 post, but does the Westy's parking spot damage lowered cars?

- Are those giant speakers on the Delica's roof? :shock:

and last,
- When Japan's motor vehicle laws seem so strict compared to the US, do the bosozoku (or other "police avoiding" people) actually accomplish anything by thumbing their noses at the law? It would seem that a license plate like that would attract more attention than not (and I should know :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:11 pm 

I love the AMG Sawblade wheels! Gave my VR4 a more aggressive look 8)
What do you mean by "the AMG"?

77 Colt Galant Wagon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:25 pm 

Location: Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney
No that isthe AMG. I don't know much about the arrangement but I know they supplied some go-fast bit for the late 80's galant (the model year that had the VR4.) It was known at the Galant GSR AMG and was the same as the GSR (2.0L 4G63 DOHC, FWD only) but the engine had up-rated cams, higher compression pistons (how? I don't know. There's bugger all clearance in the normal na '63 twin cam) and a trick inlet manifold that I think had different length runners for improved torque and so forth.

I wanted one for the engine swap in my coupe but they were Japan only (pretty sure anyway) and very difficult to find.

Oh, and that Zed is a 2+2!! Glad to see another bus get some love! :mrgreen:

As usual neko your photos make me desperately want to go back to Japan. Great work.
I too am curious about the parking... uh.. thingys. I saw them in operation and they do come up to meet the car very gently but I still don't have a clue as to their purpose and how they work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:22 pm 

tj75gc wrote:
No that isthe AMG. I don't know much about the arrangement but I know they supplied some go-fast bit for the late 80's galant (the model year that had the VR4.) It was known at the Galant GSR AMG and was the same as the GSR (2.0L 4G63 DOHC, FWD only) but the engine had up-rated cams, higher compression pistons (how? I don't know. There's bugger all clearance in the normal na '63 twin cam) and a trick inlet manifold that I think had different length runners for improved torque and so forth.

Oh he's thinking of the AMG Galant (HH Galant to you guys, E33A 6th gen). Well here's all the info you need Sven7
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2709/article.html
AMG tuned dohc 4g63
10.4:1 CR
Dual Stage Cyclone intake manifold
2 piston brakes
aggressive camshafts
Exclusive body kit only to the AMG Galants
All leather and wood grain interior
etc.

AMG Galant Type 1 Sawblades don't fit too well on the older cars as I tried once lol +46mm offset is a no go haha.

77 Colt Galant Wagon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:25 pm 

Quote by Neko : "Way back in 1989, before most of us were born perhaps, someone at MMC thought this was a good idea."

Speak for yourself my friend. If you are post 1989 vintage then I have shirts older than you. LOL :-)

I actually love the 1980s styles, but then again I am old enough to remember the 80s first time through.

Gee I feel old now. ;-)

2003 Lexus LS430 sedan
2011 Mazda CX7 diesel wagon
1977 Honda Z50 J1 Mini Trail
Then there are the three fire engines.......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:04 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Ha! The AMG question has already been answered, but the brochure also mentions the 'German Tuning Maker', and 'European Sports Sedan', so I guess it was an attempt to broaden their sales base.

The car park does not damage anything - no matter how low your car is - unless of course you try and drive off without paying. They are really low-geared, and stop with the slightest touch, so low cars have them come up and touch lower chassis or whatever and they stop, and then drop down a few mm. When you want to leave, the machine calculates how much is owed (typically a few hundred yen an hour), you drop your coins in the machine, the blocker lowers, and you drive off.

They are indeed speakers on the roof of the Delica - Google uyoku dantai for a fuller explanation. They sound nasty, but with significant drop in membership over the last ten years they have to employ students to drive their noise-buses. One pulled up next to me once blaring out racist shit, so I knocked on their window and explained I thought they were 'a little loud', so the driver apologized and turned the volume down. The few that remain true to the ideals are mostly sad old twisted men these days, and more a joke than anything else.

As for the license plate thing, the police here generally leave such alone. Unless of course you do something else wrong - like driving a noise-bus - and then they'll use it as an excuse to go to town on your arse... Neko (well and truly pre-1989 vintage).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:26 pm 
Administrator

Aufrecht, Melcher and Großaspach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-AMG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:51 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Garant wrote:
Aufrecht, Melcher and Großaspach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-AMG

Who wants to make a bet, if someone were to add the Debonair details to that page it would be deleted?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:58 am 
That AMG is too bad ass.. Daaaamn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:08 pm 

Thanks everyone!

Neko, I would go ahead and add some Mitsu notes at the bottom of the Wiki page. As the Spinners would say, "So much rhythm, grace and debonair from one man? Lord!" :mrgreen:

(Then again I wouldn't know what to write... you JNC gurus would do a much better job)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:40 am 

Surely the Debonair AMG would be the crown jewel of any true AMG enthusiast!!

Haha I remember finding out about it years ago, and it still blows my mind even now. The guy driving that must be BALLIN'!!

-Robert

My Build/Pic thread

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:54 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I'm not a Wikipedia person, but if someone wants to edit, feel free to use the pics here! The way the tough fan-boi Benz fuckn' HAMMER page is written, I'll give it five minutes before some AMG wonk deletes... Neko.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]