#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Australia, where owning a cool car is forbidden.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:16 am 

repuman74 wrote:
i would love to live in a place like texas where twin turbos and mufflers can be put on and removed at will and the popo's cant say squat! woot woot!

Well, you're all welcome to move here. :tu: :mrgreen:

If your car is over 24 years old, you must have:

1. Lights that work (all of them)
2. Horn that works
3. Brakes that work
4. If you have wipers on the car, they must work
5. If your car came with seat belts, they must work
6. If your car came with a catatlytic converter, it must be in place (or something that looks like one :wink: )

That's it. And that's for a regular street rego to drive it every day. $60 a year for rego, $14 a year for state roadworthiness inspection (see above rules for that). 8)

If you only drive to car shows/meets, or every other weekend, you can get it registered as an antique (if it's over 30 years old). That's just a $100 charge for five years worth of rego. No inspection, no nothing. Nothing on the car has to actually work except seat belts, and lights if you drive it at night.

I so love it here... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:24 pm 

I'm in love ^

Also, I got done for having 13x8.5 SSR's on the back of my wagon today :cry:

fuk da po po

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:07 am 

Wisconsin you can get either Collector or Hobbyist plates if your car is 20 yrs and older :mrgreen:. For Collector plates it must be
100% stock
Cannot be driven in January (as to not complete a full year of driving, plus who would want to during rust season?)
Must have a regular registered car as well
One time registration fee

Hobbyist plates
Can be modified
submit photos of engine bay, interior/exterior
Can be driven year round
Rest of the rules are same as Collector Plates

Ontop of those options, WI also doesn't do emissions anymore for OBD1/1995 and older vehicles :wink:.

Unlike where I live now (though my Coupe is still registered in WI with current tabs) in WA, for Collector plates it needs to be 30 yrs old and can only be driven on special occasions :(. Emissions are required on 25yr old cars and newer in the Greater Seattle-Tacoma area, but pretty much the rest of state doesn't do emissions lol, only around the major city area and outskirts haha. No inspections like TX, PA, NY, VA, etc do, thankfully. :)

77 Colt Galant Wagon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:09 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

timmy201 wrote:
Hirst wrote:
Put it this way, I rarely see anything on this forum where I can say for sure "that wouldn't pass MOT". You should all come here instead, the only problem is that you'd have to live here and it's all grey and horrible. There'd be no barbeques anymore, though the sheer amount of Fosters adverts on TV might keep you from being too homesick.

Myth: we don't actually drink "Fosters" in Australia.

And all your cars are really rusty.

+1. Blows me away how people in the UK consider cars from the 90's to be retro, but then again, having seen the rust in relatively new cars, you can understand why.

I miss London and Cardiff. But not the weather. 8)

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:18 am 

It's a combination of factors which limit old cars here - most significantly how used cars are probably amongst the cheapest in the world, but mainstream garages charge a lot for work (and hate doing any sort of welding repairs). Rust is only really a problem if you don't keep up to it by hosing the arches out and getting salt off the underside (especially in winter). Unfortunately most people don't, then the rust creeps through until it gets to the point where they're told it'll cost them £500 to get through the next MOT test, but they can get a nice car for that, etc. As a result, old cars are mostly enthusiasts or careful owners. The rarest cars tend to be things which were pretty ordinary for their time (like practically everything I own).

The retro thing is all subjective really, most people don't really consider 90s stuff "retro" but it kind of depends what it is. I've ended up in a position where I'm using a '99 Alfa Romeo 156 V6 and a '96 Alfa Romeo 155 1.8 - some people consider the 155 retro (probably because it has pretty square-rigged styling for its time), but nobody does the 156. Me, I don't know, I just like cars in general (with an old/weird car bias, admittedly).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:24 am 

I remember when Turbo Smart introduced their stealth parts line up some years ago, everything in matte black to make it appear OEM hahahaha

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2