#
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:28 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 1968 G130 special six
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:10 pm 

fraz wrote:
mr camouflage wrote:
Those original L20/L23 engines are rare items these days. What are you doing with the old engine?

its sitting outside under some plastic. You can have it for free if you take it away! good running motor, starts well, valve seats have been done previously to suit unleaded.
Also comes with 3 speed box

Mate. I need that engine! I've got a 1970 2300 Super Six with a busted L23 in it. She's straight as and I want to restore to factory. I'm in Adelaide, but will ship in an engine if I have to. Please tell me no-one's taken it!

koszka

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Very nice work. Curious how well it will all fit and ride after. Wish I had welding skill to even think of taking on a project like this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:13 pm 

done a bit of work the last few weeks.

Got the headers finished and started working on the suspension steering and brakes

First thing i have to say is dont try this conversion!! There is no room for the exhaust!

Finished up the drivers side and had to chop all the runners off the same length. I have this cheapo air saw i have been using with these short blades that looked like short hacksaw blades. What do you know, a full length blade fits!
Attachment:
IMAG0249.jpg

They fit! Just! I have to loosen the engine mounts and jack the motor slightly to get them on.
Attachment:
IMAG0251.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0253.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0264.jpg

Passenger side pipes went a bit more smoothly. I had a better idea of how to go about it
Attachment:
IMAG0255.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0256.jpg

They look a bit better too.
Attachment:
IMAG0258.jpg

Still very tight tho!
Attachment:
IMAG0259.jpg

I welded up the collector center before fitting the collector
Attachment:
IMAG0266.jpg

I have had a bit of a dilemma with the front ball joints and brakes. I can not get lower ball joints for the 130 datsun, i got the last right hand one in australia and i could not find a left one in OZ, NZ or Japan.
I thought i would get around this by running some disc brake stub axles from a 260c. You can run the hilux 4 pot caliper and mitsi magna discs. I heard there were 2 at pick a part auckland a while back so got a mate to get them and bring them to OZ in his suitcase.

Unfortunatley they were from a 230 series so they still had the small ball joints.
My next brain wave was to try D21 navara axles. They have different ball joints again but the lowers have the same taper as the later (and available) datsun 330 joints. The top joints are also different but a bit of creative butchering and they fit no worries.
Oh yea, i have to put them on backwards too. the d21 steering arms are on the front.

Buuuuuttttt, they are 6 stud.....
Some more investigation at the wreckers here and i got some hilux 5x114.5 hubs to bolt straight on. They need a different grease seal, and a bit of machining which i got for a box of 4X.

The best bit is the r32 gtr calipers bolt on and i think i can fit some 296mm BA falcon rotors.

Left is original lower ball joint. Right is later 330 joint. same mount, bigger taper
Attachment:
IMAG0271.jpg

Left to right
d21 right axle, 230 disc brake left axle, 130 drum brake left axle
Attachment:
IMAG0274.jpg

I need to machine the hubs 7mm to get the smaller bearing to seat correctly on the axle and get the split pin into the hole
Attachment:
IMAG0277.jpg

Fitted to the car with r32 gtr caliper and hilux disc. Discs are 254mm, i can fit another 40mm diameter :)
Attachment:
IMAG0280.jpg

I also want to run electric power steering. I dont have room for a power steer pump or the width for a power rack. I have a mate who has fitted the holden barina electric steering column to his minisprint speedway car. It works really well so i thought i would try that. I got the complete setup for $80 which is a bargin
Attachment:
IMAG0288.jpg

If anybody wants better photos or info about the hubs let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:40 am 

done a bit of work the last few weeks.

Got the headers finished and started working on the suspension steering and brakes

First thing i have to say is dont try this conversion!! There is no room for the exhaust!

Finished up the drivers side and had to chop all the runners off the same length. I have this cheapo air saw i have been using with these short blades that looked like short hacksaw blades. What do you know, a full length blade fits!

They fit! Just! I have to loosen the engine mounts and jack the motor slightly to get them on.

Passenger side pipes went a bit more smoothly. I had a better idea of how to go about it

They look a bit better too.

Still very tight tho!

I welded up the collector center before fitting the collector

I have had a bit of a dilemma with the front ball joints and brakes. I can not get lower ball joints for the 130 datsun, i got the last right hand one in australia and i could not find a left one in OZ, NZ or Japan.
I thought i would get around this by running some disc brake stub axles from a 260c. You can run the hilux 4 pot caliper and mitsi magna discs. I heard there were 2 at pick a part auckland a while back so got a mate to get them and bring them to OZ in his suitcase.

Unfortunatley they were from a 230 series so they still had the small ball joints.
My next brain wave was to try D21 navara axles. They have different ball joints again but the lowers have the same taper as the later (and available) datsun 330 joints. The top joints are also different but a bit of creative butchering and they fit no worries.
Oh yea, i have to put them on backwards too. the d21 steering arms are on the front.

Buuuuuttttt, they are 6 stud.....
Some more investigation at the wreckers here and i got some hilux 5x114.5 hubs to bolt straight on. They need a different grease seal, and a bit of machining which i got for a box of 4X.

The best bit is the r32 gtr calipers bolt on and i think i can fit some 296mm BA falcon rotors.

Left is original lower ball joint. Right is later 330 joint. same mount, bigger taper

Left to right
d21 right axle, 230 disc brake left axle, 130 drum brake left axle

I need to machine the hubs 7mm to get the smaller bearing to seat correctly on the axle and get the split pin into the hole

Fitted to the car with r32 gtr caliper and hilux disc. Discs are 254mm, i can fit another 40mm diameter :)

I also want to run electric power steering. I dont have room for a power steer pump or the width for a power rack. I have a mate who has fitted the holden barina electric steering column to his minisprint speedway car. It works really well so i thought i would try that. I got the complete setup for $80 which is a bargin

If anybody wants better photos or info about the hubs let me know. I hope to work on the steering rack on my next break from work.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:53 am 

EF falcon steelies as instructed! Offset is perfect!

Unfortunatley, They fit perfectly over the 2 pot nissan Q45 calipers, but, the calipers wont fit on the stub axles without seriously interfering with the subframe at anything more than half a turn on the steering wheel. The back of the caliper is massive compared to the gtr caliper

If i run the gtr 4 pots i will need 16 inch wheels

I will need to disappear the red area from the subframe to get full lock but it should be right

Also did some work on the steering. Made some brackets that hold the rack and bolt to the original steering box mounts

Just need to trim up the datsun steering column and weld it to the barina electric motor

N14 brake booster fits perfectly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:01 am 

Unfortunatley the caliper hits too much. even if i chop heaps out of the spring bracket it wont fit.
That means i have to run the axles on the correct side and make some new steering arms.
I have made a prototype arm that despite its dodgy looks, works well. Ill take it back to nz with me in feb and get 2 machined out of billet.

I can also now run the 2 pot v8 caliper so today i spent a few hours going round the various auto supplies places in Mackay getting blank looks from everybody when i explained i needed a disc the same offset, centre hole size, and stud pattern as toyota hilux, but with 280mm diameter. It seems nobody in this country can think outside of the box......
In the end a very helpful lady let me peruse the dba catalog and i have a set of nissan x-trail discs on their way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:07 am 

Finally made up my mind and decided to run the v8 2 pot calipers. They bolt to the stub axles and can fit a 28x280mm disc. The hilux hubs im using have the disc mounted to the back of them and they are only 257mm standard.
A couple of hours research and i got a set of x-trail discs

I got the centre machined out to 84mm and another set of holes drilled and tapped to fit the hilux hubs

They look pretty good and should pull it up pretty well. Plus the 15inch steelies just fit over them

Done some work on the steering too.
Reinforced the pedal box and welded some brackets to it for the power steering unit.

I had to die grind a fair bit of spare casting from the block for clearance. Just need to make a plate to block off the hole in the firewall.

No more work for 6 weeks. back to the mines then a few weeks in nz.
When i return, i have another super six i have found in victoria. Only 3000kms away!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:18 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Very impressive work so far!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:57 am 

wow this will be awesome, good work so far :tu:

85' Pulsar ET - E15ET
75' 260Z 2+2 Y40 || 73' 260z 2 seater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:42 am 

Hadn't looked at this thread for a while, great to see you're still at it despite all the challenges. Looks like it will be a beast when it's done.
I wrecked a car a while back and have a full set of front suspension (missing calipers) that I'll be getting rid of soon. I could have sent you a pair of second hand ball joints but you've sorted that one out now. Let me know if there's anything you might want. Also other super six parts.
PS I hope you have a good windscreen for this car... Otherwise may be another challenging moment, as I'm finding out with mine.
Regards Shane.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:04 am 

Did some work 2 months ago fitting a hilux diff. the stock h190 is strong enough, but the lowest ratio they come in is 3.9:1. the stock vh45 diff is 3.5 and i want to be as close to that as possible

First choice was r31 skyline wagon borg warner but, right size, and lots of ratios, but the only axles the right length are 4 stud. I got a hilux diff from the wreckers for 100 bux. i can get a 3.5 or 3.6 ratio lsd center for not too bad a price and they are strong as.

i cut the mounts off the h190 diff and cleaned up the hilux diff. I put the mounts on the leaves and sat the diff on top. once it was at the same angle i welded the mounts on.

The axles are massive compared to the h190 ones

Sitting in the car.

now i need to decide on brakes. i think i will keep the hilux ones as it will take lots of work to fit discs! and also order a recond lsd center with 3.58 ratio

Havent been up to much work on the car lately, been working away and moving house and other dramas
Had the last few days of so been atacking a few things and moving to others when i get stuck or sick of it

I was going to run r31 rear brakes but the handbrake cable does not really come out in an ideal place. I found some s14 rears for a good price. They have the cable coming out straight along the diff.

Should work well. im thinking 290-300mm discs.

Next up was the shifter cable. I want to keep it column change so i modified the manual changer and used a b&m shifter cable. Its pretty hard to change as the cable only has 67mm of travel. I have had to make a short linkage on the box and this has made it pretty hard to shift. also the cable is hard to move with the bends i have put into it.
I have been told to try a more heavy duty cable so ill see how that goes when it turns up

This cable bracket is semi permanent. if it works well its staying, a bit dodgy on the power steering motor but should be ok

I might make the arm on the gearbox longer, it will be easier to shift, but i will lose 1st and 2nd gear. Its only a cruiser so maybe it will be ok, i will have to see what happens

I kept the tunnel from the other g130 i wrecked.
Panelbeating is harder than it looks! I will attempt to fit this somehow...

I was going to run a hilux a/c pump, then i found a n14 pulsar pump (left) which was pretty short and nearly fitted in the top of the vee,
then i was cruising the wreckers and found a tiida a/c pump (right). its a smaller diameter body and fits nicely up the side of the motor.

About 20mm off the chassis rail so heaps of room...

The water pump will be on its own belt and the tensioner is turned sideways so it can pull the belt tight
The alternator is off a vh41. its shorter in the right places compared to the vh45 one.
I will trim the top off it and if im lucky the bonnet will close. I will try it next week

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 pm 

Mate love ya work!

Live the dream

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:48 am 

Cool project mate, I'm really liking your ambitions! Good luck with it :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2