#
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 107 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oldmaz Garage
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:58 am 

keithrx3c wrote:
Very nice, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it including shipping to Australia?

Keith :wink:

??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:18 am 

gypsy wrote:
The housings look to be very early sandcast housings. Very RARE and Im guessing impossible to find replacements if they are corroded in the water jackets. I've only ever seen Mazda factory race car housings manufactured like that, very early 10a R100 engines, Cosmos and photos of someones old Rx2 factory bridgeport coupe with those particular ones. The Rx2 coupe Im refering too is posted on this site by rex272.

Great pickup Nigel - car looks mint, no doubt will look even better with your touch going on past efforts!

Ah yes the sandcast housings.. Rare, however prone to chrome flaking - which is what happened to one of mine. When you take off the exhaust, see if they have the peripheral exhaust port vs the 3 hole standard TD arrangement.

Simon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:44 pm 

keithrx3c wrote:
keithrx3c wrote:
Very nice, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it including shipping to Australia?

??

I do mind you asking. If you dont mind me asking what is your annual income?

RANDOM

Last edited by oldmaz on Sat May 18, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:49 pm 

Rex272 wrote:
gypsy wrote:
The housings look to be very early sandcast housings. Very RARE and Im guessing impossible to find replacements if they are corroded in the water jackets. I've only ever seen Mazda factory race car housings manufactured like that, very early 10a R100 engines, Cosmos and photos of someones old Rx2 factory bridgeport coupe with those particular ones. The Rx2 coupe Im refering too is posted on this site by rex272.

Great pickup Nigel - car looks mint, no doubt will look even better with your touch going on past efforts!

Ah yes the sandcast housings.. Rare, however prone to chrome flaking - which is what happened to one of mine. When you take off the exhaust, see if they have the peripheral exhaust port vs the 3 hole standard TD arrangement.

Simon

No plans to pull motor down at this stage still has some signs of smoke hoping it may get better with a few Km under it. Like most rotaries if they are not driven the seals become perished big chance the side seals have seen better days, saying that it still has good power.
I actually have a 10a with the same cast housings this will be getting rebuilt shortly hopefully they are all good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:00 pm 

In the theme of preservation while the door trims were off instead of removing plastic protection that was ripped i got some clear contact sheets and repaired them, came up a treat.

Also fished oiled the doors

I also remove the engine cowl plates as from experience there is usually a ton of debri which is what i found. Good thing like the rest of the car no rust.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:09 pm 

oldmaz wrote:
keithrx3c wrote:
keithrx3c wrote:

??

That's OK if you don't want to say what you payed for it, I was just curious and really don't like being ignored. There's nothing wrong with saying smething like "I'd prefer not to say what I payed for it." I can understand and respect that.

My annual income? NOT ENOUGH!! :lol:

Back on topic, good luck with the preservation of the old girl.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:11 pm 

oldmaz wrote:
Rex272 wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Simon

No plans to pull motor down at this stage still has some signs of smoke hoping it may get better with a few Km under it. Like most rotaries if they are not driven the seals become perished big chance the side seals have seen better days, saying that it still has good power.
I actually have a 10a with the same cast housings this will be getting rebuilt shortly hopefully they are all good.

Worst thing I did was pull the motor down.. It was going through water, but it turned out to be the water pump.
Even with the flaky chrome, motor started off then key in under 2 seconds and pulled like a freight train - when I stripped it I got a shock!

You will know if the engine has peripheral exhaust ports.. They are loud! Mine ran with a Rotaflow rear muffler and 3 Rotaflow silencers, and I would still have to roll off the throttle when I saw the police!!

Bloody good engines those TD's..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:27 pm 

The colour is Espace Blue Metallic, Mazda used it from 72-75. Not sure what markets or vehicles though. Pretty sure rx3's copped the same hue at some stage.

Great find, looks like you're doing a good job of it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm 

Great survivor! I looked up the paint code, C7 Espase Blue Metallic. Not sure if it's correct, I have non Mazda paint chips.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:31 pm 

Car was now mobile and free of all trim it was loaded onto trailer and taken to Dave/restoremaz.

At some point car has had a bump in the drivers rear

Bumper mounting bracket was the main damge

Bit of heat to the bracket and use of a slide hammer and dolly and it was out

It was now time to clean up the paint

Initial signs were good

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:38 pm 

A couple of hours later detailing of the car was complete. Came up a treat considering the condition of the paint at the start all the oxidisation was gone still some blemishes or character scares I like to call them. Original painted pin stripe still intact.
Decided not to remove the non genuine door stainless trims as they are period correct and i think suit the car.

Car was now loaded back on trailer for ride home. It is amazing how straight this car is, good to see a car this straight knowing there is no repairs or filler under the paint.

Now to put all the trim back on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:46 pm 

:mrgreen: Great find, as you have stated it looks to be in tip top order for its age. keep the pics coming.

oldmaz wrote:
keithrx3c wrote:
keithrx3c wrote:

??

It would be nice if you could share some more details on your import. Just general info so you dont have to share your price. Maybe how to go about importing a nostalgic car, the work needed prior to it leaving japan or after it landed, shipping companies and general shipping charges, stamp duties etc. If there was a dealer online such as a JDM legends for example that you used or one in Japan. There are quite a few guys like myself who I'm sure regardless of their "annual income" would love to save a nostalgic for themselves but are not sure where to get started.. I have come to learn that its the true enthusiast who will go to any length when they find what they are after. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:56 pm 

I have a friend in Japan who organises it all for me.

There are companies like J-Spec that can do this for you. All answers can be found on the net im sure. Importing is the easy bit finding them is the hard part.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:44 pm 

oldmaz wrote:
jdm10a wrote:
Top find Nigel I loved your last GS11 sedan and Im sure this one is going to be rebuilt to a high standard. Your water gallery internals look exactly like mine in my mazda 800 water and coolant have been left in my engine for over 20 years leaving almost the same result as yours except my radiator core is rock solid to the point that even compressed air wont pass through the core. Have you got any tips on flushing the water gallerys in the block or is it rebuild time?

There only one tip for a blocked radiator a recore. I took mine to a radiator joint they put it in the bath when they pressure checked it it leaked $450 later it is recored.
Also bought new hoses, genuine thermostate and oil cooler rubber mounts.

I forgot to note this car is more about preservation then restoration, there will be no rechroming or zinc on this survivor i find them much more interesting warts and all then shiny resto these days.

By the way the colour i cant say i have seen a Oz delivered model in this shade, not sure of the name but paint code C7

I figured the radiator was cactus and a recore was the only solution I was referring more to if there was a product on the market to flush the scale out of the alloy block with?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:41 pm 

Amazing how the paint came out. I'm assuming there was some Wetsanding prep before the buff?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:50 pm 

I figured the radiator was cactus and a recore was the only solution I was referring more to if there was a product on the market to flush the scale out of the alloy block with?[/quote]

I just bougt the most expensive one i could find at super cheap, cant say if it done anything flushed it out 3 times. Will run another through it soon before i fill it with coolant.
For sure there is still some crap in the chambers it would need to be stripped down to clean it out properly.

Why arent you putting a rotor in the wagon anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:52 pm 

RX-2Fan wrote:
Amazing how the paint came out. I'm assuming there was some Wetsanding prep before the buff?

No rubbing back, like i said it was mainly oxidisation on the paint, there is still surface rust patches here and there and scratches.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:00 pm 

I will be replacing every badges except for the grille center badge and GR badge on the rear garnish with better examples i have due to the originals being heavily corroded.
Originals on the top new on the bottom.
I also will be fitting some original NOS L&R guard blinkers

A better set of door handles and rear quarter reflector housings also will make there way on the car

Replacement un-restore grille RE badge top, original on the bottom for comparison

These must be the rarest part on the car, wheel arch trims. I have seen them only on the GSII coupe before tried them on my S4 RX2 coupe only the front fit not the rear. These must of been a option as they were not on my previous GR.

Gave them a quick polish and sourced some new SS screws and washers.

Last edited by oldmaz on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:13 pm 

Front and rear lenses will also need a tidy up. Top lense is a NOS i had left over from previous GR.

Heres the front after a good clean and polish

The rear cleaned and polished. NOS one on the left for reference

Had to make new gaskets for the rear lights as they rock hard and brittle. Note the unique beaver panel for this model

Found some material at Clark Rubber which looks to be exact as original.
Used the gasket of the NOS T/Light as a template to make new ones.

All done ready to install.

Last edited by oldmaz on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:25 pm 

Replace 2 blown headlights with genuine Koto brand lights gave the grille a clean down, center badge was quickly polished and resin replaced around the M (restoremaz)

Also some random pics because i know everyone like's photos

Rear parcel shelf
Undercarage
Engine bay

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 107 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next