#
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 92 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Series 2 RX7 - my new toy!!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:51 pm 

jdmrx2 wrote:
Also ordered some "Savanna RX7" badges today, so I will replace the factory ones with these. For some reason I have always like these better than the stock ones.

That's because anything with the word in it Savanna gives your car mystical powers :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:10 am 

gypsy wrote:
jdmrx2 wrote:
Also ordered some "Savanna RX7" badges today, so I will replace the factory ones with these. For some reason I have always like these better than the stock ones.

That's because anything with the word in it Savanna gives your car mystical powers :lol:

Haha, reckon you are right John. Maybe the savanna badges will give the give the car more power.......took some pics of the rims today.....camera went flat so they are crappy phone pics......will post up shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:44 am 

For a quick and cheap home job the rims came up pretty good. :D Masked them up and blackened the recessed bits, chucked a new set of front pads in while I was at it.....

The finished product....

Close up

Got an oil leak from the oil cooler today...coming from bottom line. :( Will check on the weekend and tighten. Hopefully nothing major. Savanna badges to go on this week and then the new door rubbers. Then I think its just time to drive and enjoy for a bit!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:34 am 

Big improvement!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:19 am 

Looks sick, you've done a great job I enjoy reading and seeing the progress

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:03 pm 

Those rims look great :tu: I don't think they looked that good new :wink: looks mint now with the seats and wheels done great example of a series 2 rx7 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:16 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys!!

Spent this morning messing with some stuff. Fitted new pads front and rear, rotors are still fine, but got a new set of fronts to stash in the shed for later. Adjusted up the handbrake so it actually works properly, flushed the brake fluid with new stuff and also did the same for the clutch....the fluid was BLACK in the clutch master.....nice and clean now.

Fitted new rear sway bar mount bushes in Nolathane. I will gradually go through and rebush the entire car, but these were on clearance at work, so got them for a couple of bucks, so figured while I was doing rear pads I may as well fit them.

Fitted up the "mystical" Savanna badges, but still waiting on my new door rubbers. Must say the badges I bought came from ebay quite cheap, so I wasn't expecting a lot. The quality of them is absolutely outstanding. Apart from the part number on the back, I don't think anyone could pick that they are fakes. The seller chucked in a couple of bonus rotary key rings as well!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:03 pm 

Quick pic of the "mysticals"....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:44 am 

jdmrx2 wrote:
For a quick and cheap home job the rims came up pretty good. :D Masked them up and blackened the recessed bits, chucked a new set of front pads in while I was at it.....

The finished product....

Got an oil leak from the oil cooler today...coming from bottom line. :( Will check on the weekend and tighten. Hopefully nothing major. Savanna badges to go on this week and then the new door rubbers. Then I think its just time to drive and enjoy for a bit!!

Nice wheels

That view reminds me of when I was a kid playing near the top of Morphett Road at Seacombe Heights. We used to ride our bikes all over that place.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:16 am 

jonesyGT wrote:

Nice wheels

That view reminds me of when I was a kid playing near the top of Morphett Road at Seacombe Heights. We used to ride our bikes all over that place.

Well spotted....can't believe you picked the location :D It is actually the top of Braeside Ave....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:37 am 

jdmrx2 wrote:
jonesyGT wrote:

Nice wheels

Well spotted....can't believe you picked the location :D It is actually the top of Braeside Ave....

Thought so
I used to live on that street

No. 19, 2 storey place

Are you close by?
Went to seacombe by any chance?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:04 am 

jonesyGT wrote:
jdmrx2 wrote:
jonesyGT wrote:

Nice wheels

Thought so
I used to live on that street

No. 19, 2 storey place

Are you close by?
Went to seacombe by any chance?

Small world!! Yeah I live in Seacombe Heights, just off Braeside. Didn't go to Seacombe though, grew up Happy Valley way.....Still can't believe you picked the spot from that photo!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:23 am 

Spent last night polishing up the bluey....gave it a good degrease and a scrub. Washed it all out, blew it all out with compressed air, then hit it with a coarse polish, then a soft polish and gave it a coat of wax. Also removed the rotary automotive services sticker. Came up 100 times better than before. Eventually plan to do a resto on it, but this will do for now.

Also checked out the dash pot on the carby and adjusted the coasting valve to try to minimize the jerking on low speed deceleration. Quick road test and another adjust and all was good.

So today's plan was simple.......change the diff oil and the fuel filter......

Diff oil operation went smooth, and no nasty surprises in the oil. Filled it back up with epx8090 and all was good. Onto the fuel filter.....

Got under the car and noticed severely perished fuel lines, shit pinch clamps, kinked lines and could see some green electrical tape.....

Undid the plate that holds the pump in and found the pump just sitting there at about an angle of 45 degrees to where it should be.....not even bolted to the plate....explains my "noisy fuel pump".....cos it just rattles around!

So spent the next hour or so remounting the pump on some rubber mounts, all new fuel lines rerouted so that they are not kinked or fouling on anything. Added a couple of p clamps to the setup. One to secure the fuel line and one to secure the wiring. Put some insulated connectors on the wiring and tidied that up as well.

Put it all back together and checked for leaks. I can't believe how quiet the pump is now!! Cut the old filter open for a look and happily no signs of concern.

I am glad I have done it now....pretty dangerous setup before.

Door rubbers next week hopefully, then plugs, leads and ignition switch.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:17 pm 

jdmrx2 wrote:
Quick pic of the "mysticals"....

Hey beautifull car you should see mine. By the way did you have to redrill for those savanna emblems i bought a set for mine and was wondering are they glued or do they have pins.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:01 pm 

Thanks mate, I am quite happy with the way she is turning out. Love the wheels on yours, what are they? Wish mine had the factory sunroof, that would set it off!

Yes the factory RX7 badge holes in the guards don't line up with the Savanna lugs. I simply cut the lugs off and used double sided body mould tape to mount them. I didn't want to go drilling holes in case I ever want to change her back.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:10 am 

jdmrx2 wrote:
Must say the badges I bought came from ebay quite cheap, so I wasn't expecting a lot. The quality of them is absolutely outstanding. Apart from the part number on the back, I don't think anyone could pick that they are fakes.

FWIW, I bought some like that for my B210 that said "Sunny" on them. Quality looked amazing, and they looked great on the car. About 6 months after I put them on, I had to park the car outside for a few weeks unprotected. When I did, the chrome starting peeling off the letters. :|

Hope yours fair better. :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:10 pm 

jdmrx2 wrote:
Thanks mate, I am quite happy with the way she is turning out. Love the wheels on yours, what are they? Wish mine had the factory sunroof, that would set it off!

Yes the factory RX7 badge holes in the guards don't line up with the Savanna lugs. I simply cut the lugs off and used double sided body mould tape to mount them. I didn't want to go drilling holes in case I ever want to change her back.

yea thanks the rims are xxr 501's i kinda hate to cut the tabs as i paid over $100 for them lol.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:38 am 

jdmrx2 wrote:

Random useless fact:

The Japanese Series 1-3s only had one "Savanna Rx-7" badge, located on the passenger side front guard :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:48 am 

Orion wrote:
jdmrx2 wrote:

Random useless fact:

The Japanese Series 1-3s only had one "Savanna Rx-7" badge, located on the passenger side front guard :lol:

Well that explains why my old import Series 1 only had one Savanna badge on the passenger guard....I thought that someone must had pinched the other one sometime in the cars life.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:57 am 

You know, I went through that exact same scenario with my Rx-7... thought someone had pinched the other one, and spent way too much time and money tracking down a replacement before discovering they were only supposed to have one badge!

oh well, spares are always nice to have :)

I must say the Rx-7 maroon interior has grown on me in the last couple of years. helps that it's way more prevalent than the grey, which was a nightmare to track down.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 92 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next