#
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 6   [ 107 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oldmaz Garage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:48 pm 

On the hunt for a parts car for my coupe i found this one owner 1977 capella sedan as you can tell from a quick tidy up way to good to strip. Couldnt help myself fitted a NOS rear garnish tail light lenses and series 2 RX2 hubcaps. Im amazed how original this car is and the condition the spare wheel has red and blue strips around it and i think has never touched the road.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:01 pm 

Looks very nice indeed....good to know they are still out there!!

With the NOS rear garnish....is it all one colour? A mate has just picked up an S3 RX2 sedan and wants to paint the middle/lower section of the garnish matt black as it always appears darker in photo's(just like yours) and he believes that's the way they should be. I'm trying to tell him it's more a lighting angle thing that makes it look darker, I could be wrong though, so can you clear it up for me?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:44 pm 

The rear garnish is grey not black i have 2 NOS fitted to both my S4 cars the interesting thing about the one on the yellow capella it has a gold strip not silver i bought this of a guy in Malaysia on ebay very strange it is original though as it has a part number on it, really suits the yellow car.

Ive also fitted a RX2 S3-4 tacho dash.

Interior is excellent besides the cracks in the dash pad and some cracks in the top of the rear seat, i also repainted the grille and headlight surrounds and new front blinker lenses.

I actually gave all the stainless a polish and fully detailed the car over several days stripping the interior and dash as it was a country car full of dust.

Replaced some of the factory exhaust gaskets fixed the exhaust leak and it is now a power house 1600, although it would make a excellent car for a conversion even a MX5 motor and 6 speed would be sweet. Want be happening with me though as i will probably part with it soon as like allways to many cars no storage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 pm 

While im uploading heres a pic of my S4 coupe and my old sedan

series 4 & series 1 RX2 coupes

Last edited by oldmaz on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: White series 3 rx 2 coupe
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:43 pm 

Hello guys ,

Happy to find a pic of my new car on here !
I bought it sight unseen while in the u.k. and had clayton paint it, fit new carpet and some other minor stuff.
looks very good ! in storage
Post some pics soon
love the rx 2's on this post !!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:51 am 

awesome cars... keep em coming! that rear shot of the orange coupe pulling out of the driveway looks a wee bit intimidating, such road presence. :shock: sick.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:49 pm 

Found myself another GR earlier this year in Japan and though i would share pics of the jorney to get it back on the road.

I took the risk and bought it from these 3 pics, as you can see from the interior i could see plastic on the doors to me this shows little use.

a couple more after it got delivered to the dock

Rice anyone
Speedo showing 57,000km
From the condition of the gear nob i would say the KM are original

After a long wait/jorney via Brisbane it arrived on my driveway, had to drag it off with my 4wd tyres were gone, car is a non runner/roller

Was very happy with my purchase although car did not run i could tell it had potential, every nut and bolt looked to be original and only surface rust was evident. Much better example then my previous GR.

Last edited by oldmaz on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:11 pm 

First thing was to give it a wash and remove the im guessing 20years of grime

cleaned. pics make the paint look better then it actually was it will need more then just a clean. A buff will come later on when i can get it to a expert/Restoremaz.
Dull paint

Next thing was to clean the rubbish out of the interior and boot. It looks like at some time the GR was home to a mouse from the nest i found under the back seat. It had eaten a door through the side of the bottom seat and in the roof lining.

Some spiders also hitched hicked from Japan, they were quickly put to rest.

Boot
Has the original double white wall tyre from factory. Nice
Cleaned, all trim back in place boot floor rust free

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:20 pm 

Every door trim had big stickers over the plastic protection, I guess at sometime this was a family car with kids.
I left the doors opened in the sun stickers peeled off and a wipe down with prepsol trims were back although there is some rips in the plastic.

Removed the custom matts and shacked pile from the rear parcel shelf. Got the vac out and original carpet is rip free and perfect.
Nice

Initial clean, look it has AC, besides the mouse door all seats are perfect rip free

Uncracked T-dash, this would of been the first model this dash was fitted to

Last edited by oldmaz on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:25 pm 

Maybe someone can tell me from the rego stickers when it was last on the road registered.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:55 am 

Very nice, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it including shipping to Australia?

Keith :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:16 pm 

Due to the fact 3 of the 4 doors would not open and i needed to remove the pitted door handles i very carefully removed the door trims

Example of door handle

Trims removed

A spray of lube in each door catch freed them up

At this time the wheels were sent of to get sand blasted and repainted.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:21 pm 

Wheels repainted and new tyres fitted, it is time to remove remaining external trims and get the car buffed.

Last edited by oldmaz on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:31 pm 

Id also tried to get the car started firstly cranking the car over i noticed the carby was gone and it was just flooding the motor.
At this time i noticed the fuel had turned into toxic waste.
Knowing the tank would be full of sludge it was removed and sent off to get flushed out and cleaned by professional.
Muk on fuel sender
I removed the carby and fitted a RX7 carby and gave it another crank to my surprise it fired. Note the original Mazda oil filter, leads and dizzy caps
Car filled the street with smoke but settled after a few minutes but i noticed the temperature getting above what it should. Motor off.

Started flushing radiator to find what once was water/coolant now brown sludge.

Radiator was removed and sent for flush out.

Condition of thermostate, caked with sludge hardly any water getting past it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:41 pm 

Top find Nigel I loved your last GS11 sedan and Im sure this one is going to be rebuilt to a high standard. Your water gallery internals look exactly like mine in my mazda 800 water and coolant have been left in my engine for over 20 years leaving almost the same result as yours except my radiator core is rock solid to the point that even compressed air wont pass through the core. Have you got any tips on flushing the water gallerys in the block or is it rebuild time?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:55 pm 

Wow this is amazing, what motor is that? I've never seen a RX2 with housings with those plaques before.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:15 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

The housings look to be very early sandcast housings. Very RARE and Im guessing impossible to find replacements if they are corroded in the water jackets. I've only ever seen Mazda factory race car housings manufactured like that, very early 10a R100 engines, Cosmos and photos of someones old Rx2 factory bridgeport coupe with those particular ones. The Rx2 coupe Im refering too is posted on this site by rex272.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:45 am 

jdm10a wrote:
Top find Nigel I loved your last GS11 sedan and Im sure this one is going to be rebuilt to a high standard. Your water gallery internals look exactly like mine in my mazda 800 water and coolant have been left in my engine for over 20 years leaving almost the same result as yours except my radiator core is rock solid to the point that even compressed air wont pass through the core. Have you got any tips on flushing the water gallerys in the block or is it rebuild time?

There only one tip for a blocked radiator a recore. I took mine to a radiator joint they put it in the bath when they pressure checked it it leaked $450 later it is recored.
Also bought new hoses, genuine thermostate and oil cooler rubber mounts.

I forgot to note this car is more about preservation then restoration, there will be no rechroming or zinc on this survivor i find them much more interesting warts and all then shiny resto these days.

By the way the colour i cant say i have seen a Oz delivered model in this shade, not sure of the name but paint code C7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:55 am 

Also picked up a new clutch master and slave cylinder fitted these and a new flexible line and bingo clutch all good.

A mate rebuilt the carby telling me the old fuel had turned to glue after several cleaning processes in a bath it was clean and reassembled with a carby kit.
Rebuilt carby was installed with the cleaned fuel tank and recored radiator, I also had to replace the original fuel lines as they cracked they were rock hard.

A new set of plugs and it started of the key, slight adjustment of the idle and it was running sweet with no sign of over heating.

It was now able to be driven with limited bracking. Next job.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:43 am 

Whoa...amazing find. Love the "preservation" rather than restoration. Can't wait to see more updates!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 6   [ 107 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next