#
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: One owner 66' JDM Crown!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:00 am 

Hi,

I got into the whole nostalgic car scene with the influence of a friend of mine and ever since i saw classic cars in his perspective.. i was h00ked!

The story began one day while i was at school lurking an Australian car forum and came across a thread where a forum member had posted something about an 80 year old man wanting to sell his crown.

So i was thinking ... hm mm ... one owner? JDM? 40 series crown? Manual?

tick
tick
tick
TICK!

As the front of my shorts began to lift at an alarming rate i quickly got my phone and texted this forum member(i believe silvera23 on here?) straight away

Got the contact details of this old mans number and called him straight away!

A short, struggling conversation with the old man, i organized too meet him the same day... i cut school early and made my way too his

Allan was his name, we started having a chat and got on really well, he started explaining the cars history too me and told me that he wish he could have kept the car but it was getting too uncomfortable for him too drive and any unexpected moves to a retirements homes means that he wont be able to park his crown in his 1 space garage(He also owns a Getz)

(BELOW: I took a sneaky pic of it when i got there; Sorry your going to have to do a neck breaker for this one)

He explained too me that he bought the car brand new in 1968 for roughly $3,000

(BELOW: Pics he took in 68' - after installing a vinyl top)

(BELOW: Ass shot - unfortunantly the rear plating had gotten damaged some years ago so he took it off ;()

The car had been only driven on long trips and has 90,000 miles on the clock, he had a major service done 2 years ago but didn't make much use of it because unfortunately he suffered a stroke - so he stored it in his garage.

(BELOW: The lil thing comin out of the garage after 2 years in solitary confinement)

(BELOW: Other Angle of the escaped prisoner)

(BELOW: little visor he installed - he also has side skirts for the rear that he also gave me)

Look at how good the vinyl roof and paint turned up after all these years!!!

If you noticed he also had some head rests installed on the bench seats, there's a few wear and tear elements too the car but overall its clean! no rust!

(BELOW: inside)

(BELOW: inside - you can see little wear and tear in the seats here)[b]

[b](BELOW: he sure loved his accessories - i do have the ash tray to fit into that missing puzzle)

Me and Allan have remained in contact and are friends... i am very privileged and honored that he would choose me for his prized possession

Hopefully i can keep it alive for another 40 years too come!

My plans for the car:

Lower (Not fussed at the moment will do some time down the road)
Install a sound system
General tidy up of engine bay, interior, exterior etc...
Paint is already s e x, a good polish is all that needs to be done
Possibly a new set of wider wheels that fill out the guards down the track

The car currently has the original M motor, Straight 6 2L and i am planning to keep it the same till it dies and then will think about some more exotic options

Car is currently registered and road worthy and i still kept the original plates!

I am happy with the car as is and my main concern is just going to be too keep it running nicely and looking tip t o p!

Last edited by bos on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: One owner 66' JDM Crown!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:03 am 

Polished the front bumper and surrounds with some chrome polish... thinking of doing the grill tommorow with some super fine steel wool to get in the tough to reach places

Shinnnnnnnyyy.. going too look really nice when the grill is done

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 am 

Wow! What a find! Can't wait to see where this one goes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:49 am 

Nice one! That looks immaculate. Cool that you got some old pictures of it.

(There's one of these for sale in Ontario right now for $15k.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:33 pm 

Hey bos, loving the Crown! Can't wait to see her with a drop :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:44 pm 

Very cool find. Can not wait to see some pictures of it all clean.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:34 am 

Car's idling a bit funny... i was playing around with the carby a little and got it idling nice but after the car being off for a while and sitting it went back to idle at higher rpms(around 1250-1500 to be exact - sometimes even higher), also when driving it struggles to accelerate at times

Come to think of it i replaced a positive battery terminal and half asses it on - had troubles fitting it in so current must not be going through properly... i might get a new one and see if that fix's the problems above.. or maybe its a vacuum leak some where

And other updates of the car - i took out the old radio too see if i can find out why its not working and after that i will be planning to put a sound system in in the next week or two, woo finally i will have sound!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:36 am 

It saddens me to hear you're going to modify this classic. I wouldn't touch a thing.

Best of luck with it all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:03 am 

All i'm doing is a sensible sound system upgrade(finally will have something too listen too) and maybe lowering in the long run

Edit:

Fixed the battery terminal, car still seems to be idling a little funny and struggles to accelerate when changing gears, the more i drive it the less it becomes frequent so im thinking maybe because its been sitting for 2 years the fuel remaining in the tank mixing with the 95 octane that i filled up(only high grade available in that petrol station) must of done some shiat too it...

Thinking to run it low then fill up full with 98 octane and see if that fix's the problem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:33 am 

Cool looking and seems like a great project. Thanks to the older pictures I can imagine it on the road in years past as well. Happy driving.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:39 am 

Very nice pick up... I love that beige interior.

I love the grille too. I have imported one of those from Japan for my MS47. I need to find the headlight surrounds though.

Do you still have your white one too?

KE15 SL Sprinter - KE10 Corolla - TA22 Celica - KE35 Corolla Club Racer - AE71 Corolla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:41 am 

oh man! Some guys have all the luck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:02 pm 

Yeah i do Adam, it's still getting a roadworthy.. been at the guys place for months!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:51 am 

Here are some random photos!

(BELOW: Slowly taking the dash apart.. trying to figure out where i can sneakily mount a head unit in)

(BELOW: The Luxor Light tail lights)

(BELOW: Model shots)

Updates for the car:

I'm currently sourcing out a head unit and some rear speakers to wire up to the car and planning to do a carby rebuild some time soon after replacing the fuel filter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:04 pm 

nice found! The interior is sex man! hope mine was clean like this...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:14 pm 

Sound system done!

Simple head unit and 2 6" rear woofer speakers setup

(BELOW: Old school speakers, rear seats out getting ready for a new heart transplant)

(BELOW: New speakers, had to cut holes in the shelf and pull the speaker wires through the board and then $$)

(BELOW: Aluminum strapped the head unit to the shelf and bolted it all tight, ran the speaker wires under the carpet and getting ready to put the car back a nice viewing experience)

(BELOW: Done!! Put the classic cardio back in and all is looking good and sounding even better considering only 2 speakers)

Wired the accessories wire to the factory radio control knob, pretty cool!!

Manged to finish it on my birthday

Will post engine bay shots soon when clean it up a bit, watch this space

Last edited by bos on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:08 pm 

Wow! What a beauty. You have a piece of history right there and what a great story too.

Sorry to hear you're off the road, but as you say it won't stop you from sorting the car in the mean time.

With the idling I'd be checking the points and fuel hoses. After so many years I'd also be examining all the hoses minutely. The absolute last thing you need is a coolant, or even worse a fuel hose, going on you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 am 

updates

(BELOW: Dash is put together all that needs to be done is contact glue the deluxe sign in, and control the epic super saiyan battle going on)

(BELOW: before and after comparison using shoe polish on the vinyl roof)

(BELOW: Engine bay)

(BELOW: Detailing the interior, tip top door trim)

Spent a few hours punching on with the road grime on the front end, rear still left too do

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:38 pm 

Usually when i clean the interior of vinyl i use a degreaser and a rag and go to town on it

But i thought i'd try something new and it was a hand held steamer that i had laying around and it really made it super easy too clean and results were $$

All i really had to do was push a button swivel the brush around for a little, then just wipe with a rag and came up good as new, feels reeeeeeeeeeeeal nice too

Example of a before shot

Then heres a close up of how it comes out

Minimal effort & bos results

STAY TUNED

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:26 am 

Awesome find! I have to admit that I'm jealous, but in a positive way. :tu:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next