#
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: nissan 180sx blown turbo HELP
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:27 pm 

hey im new to this forum and i really need some help

not long ago i was driving and went abit to fast and my car turned off and black smoke came out from the back

when i towed it home i found that my inter cooler pipe was out so i put that back in and my car turns on now but the engine runs unevenly and when i rev it my boost gauge doesn't go past 0 so im not sure if that's a blown turbo or something else. please get back.

Post subject: Re: nissan 180sx blown turbo HELP
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:13 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Is there any shaft play on the turbo? You have an aftermarket boost gauge or just a factory one?

How are the spark plugs looking? What elese have you looked at for troubleshooting this? Any other potential boost leaks?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:27 pm 

It's worth searching / asking on the UK SX owners' club forum, too:
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/forumdisplay.ph ... al-Section

when asking for help, it's useful to provide as much information as possible about your situation too;
- which engine (CA18 or SR20)?
- any modified parts?
- have you changed or adjusted anything on your car recently?
- have you had any similar problems before?

Driving 'too fast' won't kill your engine BTW ;) there must have been something else wrong to cause the engine to die suddenly.

When you start the engine, does it idle normally or is it uneven even at idle? I wouldn't expect a blown turbo to affect the idle.

I would double-check that the intercooler pipe/system is really air-tight, perhaps by dripping some soapy water on the joins and looking for bubbles. The intercooler pipework is under pressure, so needs to be securely joined to avoid a boost leak. Black smoke suggests over-fuelling which could be due to a boost leak.

I suggest asking on SXOC and providing as much description as possible of what it sounds/feels like when you start the engine up, at idle, revving it up and driving around.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:41 am 

thanks evey one for the help i have checked for leaks in the piping and found one i fixed that and its running evenly again i took it for a trashing and the boost seems to be going fine now, i think it was just the boost leak, thanks evey one for the help :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:42 am 

UtahSleeper wrote:
Is there any shaft play on the turbo? You have an aftermarket boost gauge or just a factory one?

How are the spark plugs looking? What elese have you looked at for troubleshooting this? Any other potential boost leaks?

i looked at the spark plugs and they seem to be fine but im going to change them soonish thanks for the help :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:37 pm 

I blew an IC pipe off before, same situation basically but ran ok when re-attached.

If your looking for a little performance ditch the little T25 and fit a T28 turbo on there from S14 models. Easy 1kg/cm of boost and should net close to 270PS with a bit of fuel and timing adjustment.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]