#
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:32 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Elky's DOHC drag gemini
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:16 pm 

hey guys, havent been here for ages! I have built up a little gemini to race at the Jamoboree 2011 with bits i had lying around.

This the car as i got with a dead motor, sold heaps of bits off it and was gonna sell it with a stock motor but changed my mind

I had a DOHC G200W sitting under the house for the last 5 years, it came with 2 gems i got from ART racing, the G200 was in a ex-gemini series coupe, the car had a brand new radiator and remote brake setup, it was intended to race it as a "improved production" class car but the owner died!

After pulling the motor/box out i discovered it had a brand new 4 puck clutch, and the head was ported and never started since refit. It also came with a custom s bend manifold and twin 40mm sidedraft dellorto's fitted

So i decided to test it, firstly i chucked it on my engine tester and inspected it, it had brand new oil, so after pulling the plugs i lubed the bores a little, compression checked it and then hooked it up

It ran like a dog so i decided to fit my single weber intake with a 32/36 to test run it, it ran awesome so i proceded to paint it up

The post and rail linkages sucked arse, so i got some throttle shaft linkages to directly join the carbs, at the same time i decided to use the japanese weber intake that shortens the intake heaps more, after fitting this the motor ran heaps better, i then painted up the block and valve cover

I had to remove the booster to clear the carbs, and mounted a tx remote brake setup directly to the firewall, that done i fitted the extractors and box to the motor and chucked it in! (thanks for help from coxy and chris!) it was a friggin tight fit with those extractors!

i got it dynoed and it makes 116Hp at the rears at 6200rpm, it looks like the motor was fully rebuilt and never used, so i am glad i never sold it as i would of put a price tag on it for way less it than it is worth!

I have stuck 13 by 8 Rota RB's on it, dumped it and stripped the interior out ready for jambo, i prolly will be fitting some semi slicks as well. I hope to get some reground cams for it and get another dyno tune before the jambo!

ready to take it to the track

well the DOHC did pretty well....

on saturday we had 3 qually runs, first off i couldnt get it to skid in 2nd very well, (semi slicks) but improved on each run

1st 16.27
2nd 15.84
3rd 15.36 (this run i pulled the headlight out)

i just beat one of the civic's by a poofteenth to qually 7th out of 8

sunday was good....we did a 30kg weight reduction, rear bar, relay box, wiper motor, vent tube, belts, door trims, door seals, wipers etc

they decided to run the all motor class as a "chicago shoot-out"

went out and did my PB of 15.18 @ 88mph on a solo run

i got a handle on the burn out, and i started to make smoke, 7000rpm burnout in 2nd gear

so i won all my 3 rounds on sunday and got to the finals in all motor!!

a vtec powered civic beat me by few tenths in the final sadly

so 2 gems made the finals at the jamboree, pretty stoked with that, i have never raced at the strip except for a TnT 7 years ago....also did a best R/T of .026

so sundays times were

1st 15.18
2nd 15.45
3rd 15.72 (missed a shift)

and the final was a 15.6 something

so now i am considering my options to build a AM car with a DOHC on quads, this motor was stout all weekend and felt awesome, never missed a beat and i didnt have to fix anything!

the car has cost me fark all to this point...this motor is dead stock except for some port work and a balance, and i reckon there is a 14 in it with a bit more practice, so i will be heading out for a TnT later in the year

cheers

Post subject: Re: Elky's DOHC drag gemini
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:19 pm 

Location: Taytay..Miami,Texas,New Orleans,Italy, France,Germany,Spain, Mexico..etc...next year Asia JAPAN..
nice gemini sir..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:48 pm 

Real DRUGSTER! :tu: :tu: :tu:

Nissan Skyline PC110, G18, 1800 GL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:05 am 

You need BIG TURBO for yours g200!!! Since that all Civics will eat dust behind! :tu:

Nissan Skyline PC110, G18, 1800 GL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:01 am 

update time, been to a few test 'n' tunes since last post, i have further lightened the car by removing all sound deadening, side glass is now plastic with all window regs taken out, rhr door internals are all gone and the door is screwed shut, all heater/ventilation gear is gone and only the dash shell remains, i have just fitted 15 x 7 +20 rota grid classics and i am running MT ET drag 22 x 8 slicks on the back

i estimate it weighs around 800kg now

With a basically stock motor i did a PB last week of 14.92 @ 89MPH

The jamboree is on in 3 weeks so i am tidying it up a bit, and have fitted some signage on the gem too, if we have a good weekend i have another nicer Gemini coupe lined up to make a dedicated All-motor drag car with a crazy G200w powered motor running on either c16 or e85 fuel

here is one of my runs, (with a slight bog down)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1nAjehim4I

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:17 am 

I love it

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:43 pm 

Had another good weekend at the 2012 jamboree, it was pretty hot and the gem ran a bit slower, my best for the weekend was a 15.18, however i was out to race and again i made the finals in All-motor!

In the end i got beaten by .02ish, i backed off just before the line effectively handing the win over :(

I am selling the roller now, i got another nicer black gem to build up into a drag car with a faster motor, the motor out of this gem is destined to go into a suzuki sierra for some offroad action!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]