#
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 6   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Tokyo S800M Coupe.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:39 am 
Mild Cam

Good lord that is sexy as hell. Coolest S800 coupe I've ever seen, and I LOVE S800 coupes...get me some photos in desktop size, please... :P

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:11 am 

Very cool, we await the proper photo-shoot :) It looks much more of a sports car now.

I think it's tough to put more rubber on the road *and* reduce unsprung weight significantly, since the tyre will be heavy regardless of how super-light the wheel is, but any reduction has to be a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:26 am 

wow!!! wheels make car EPIC!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:26 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Thanks! All coming together, yes. More work needed. Ride height of course (still trying to get torsion bar adjusters loosened), but also that other stuff before its ready for proper photographs. It snaps OK though when out and about...

... and if you were wondering just how small an ur-S is on the road:

Small. See ya! Neko.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:23 am 

Excellent choice in wheels and some great photos as always(downtown Shibuya?). I had some -6 offset 8.5x15 in a similar colour on my old s30z and I was never convinced about their looks on an S800 until I saw your car.

Not sure what the rest of your suspension is like but I've also just ordered some height and damper adjustable coilovers from Peter Rose at Sherwood Garage here in the UK. The fronts have springs as well so should be interesting to see how they feel compared to the old Konis.

*I should also probably start my own page instead of hijacking your build thread...but you do a much better job :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:26 am 
JNC Enthusiast

^ Yes, thats' Shibuya crossing area on the way down to the Palace for a run this last week. You're the second person to recommend Sherwood's coil-overs. The rear adjustable limit appears to suit just what I need to lower the back-end the right amount. The fronts should get enough drop with the existing torsion bar adjusters - when I can undo that is... So, a set of their rears, and perhaps the regular non-coil-over for the front. A few month's car expenditure budget already allocated it seems. Seems I always hijack threads myself, so just post here if its easier? Happy just to see another car, and how someone else works.

After the rain stopped this afternoon, I started fitting new hoses and thermostat for the cooling system. The new thermostat has a jiggle-valve, the old not, so I assume its better fitted with one. Drained system fully, cold-water reverse-flush, removed radiator, changed v-belt, and when I can work out which pulley mark is TDC, I'll adjust the cam chain via that snappy little tensioner next to thermostat. Fan shroud needs a clean and paint too. I also put some hose-clamps on the cam-box breather tube too, as though mine was not fitted they appear to be factory supplied normally.

Wiring still needs a clean-up, and I've got a new Pertronix coil & Ignitor delivered today as well. Not sure if I should just replace generator with an alternator though now either - its all apart, so probably best to do, rather than having to pull the radiator again.

I tried getting black nuts for the wheels, but Watanabe only supply M10x1.5 in silvered steel. They don't look too bad, and their logo on the capped ends kind of reminds me of the license plate seal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:59 pm 

"Not sure if I should just replace generator with an alternator"

Are you sure your S800 has a generator? I've always had the impression the M-type's were equipped with alternators at the factory. Every M-type I have seen first hand (all LHD) was sporting an alternator.

I run the AVO/Sherwood shocks on my Coupe and like them so far. I only have a few hundred miles on them and have not fiddled with them beyond setting the rear ride height. Really what other reasonably affordable options are there for the S-series?

At the front I am running the optional coil over units without the coil springs. I was told the actual damper internals are the same between the two styles of front shocks offered. The way I look at it this gives me more options (coil springs or no springs) at a later date.

Another nugget of information I was told that I have not been able to verify is that some of the boys in Europe run the front coil over shocks WITHOUT the torsion bars. Giving them a fully and easily adjustable front suspension. I can understand how that would work but am left wondering how much the torsion bar supports the lower arm? I would like to learn more about this possible option.

BTW: the wheels look great!

John/S800M

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:24 am 

i would be worried about the shock tower integrity at that point. the 86 civic i drive has t-bars in the front and there has been a lot of talk about going to a full coilover setup, but shock towers may not be able to handle the load without reinforcement..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:14 am 

e-at_me wrote:
i would be worried about the shock tower integrity at that point... shock towers may not be able to handle the load without reinforcement..

First new car I owned was an 85 CRX SI. What a great car that was.

The Honda S-series are old fashion body on frame construction with an a-frame upper control arm and upper shock mount bolted directly to the frame. These components are pretty stout and not changed when using the AVO front shocks.

The lower suspension points include the lower arm which interfaces with the torsion bar and radius rod. Without the torsion bar plugged into the lower arm I'm not sure there would be enough support to keep it in place. Again I'm not sure this rumor about running without the torsion bars is accurate or not but it does sound interesting.

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-s800-convertible-front-suspension_bigma000018b02_3e06.gif

The above link is to a diagram of the front suspension which might help give a better understanding?

John/S800M

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:36 am 

ahhh. i forgot.. :( in that case, it seems plausable as long as you figure out the t-bar necessity.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:54 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

s800m wrote:
Are you sure your S800 has a generator?
Good question! I had assumed because there's what looks like regulator on my firewall, and it does not charge too well at idle at night, it was a generator configuration. I'll do some more research!

Thanks too for the comment on the coil-overs, for the rear at least they look like my preference. I too have heard about somewhere the coil-over fronts in use without torsion bars. More track capable, I had assumed. Discounted at my end simply because I do not need any real change in front end sophistication or ability to adjust. Thanks! Neko.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:52 pm 

Kuroneko wrote:
I had assumed because there's what looks like regulator on my firewall, and it does not charge too well at idle at night, it was a generator configuration.

FWIW, cars equipped with an alternator still had external regulators from the 60s up to the late 70s. :tu:

Not charging well at night (obviously the headlights are a big current draw) could just be the alternator brushes on their way out. Might be able to just "rebuild" yours, if you can't find a replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:15 am 
JNC Enthusiast

john wrote:
FWIW, cars equipped with an alternator still had external regulators from the 60s up to the late 70s.
Ah ha! The M Service Manual lists an AC dynamo, diodes, and the regulator, so I guess the alternator equipped M being standard is true. Other references indicate a change-over in 1965 or similar. Funny that - RTFM!

In speaking to a few owners, and surveying three cars, they all had after-market IC-controlled alternators installed. Due to the OEM device in night city-mode driving not charging very well it seems. Even in new new form. So I've ordered S800M用ICオルタネーターセット from Spread Tools. We shall see how it performs, and hopefully installation is as easy as it appears, though it looks like I also need to remove carburetors too.

After two hours with a pair of needle nose pliers, I straightened all of the radiator cooling fins, cleaned & prepped the radiator tanks, and freshened up the paint. I'll probably ding the paint, and the nice straight (see daylight again) cooling fins on installation, but at least it will look better going in that it did coming out...

Three day weekend coming up, so I hope to finish the alternator and cooling system overhauls... Neko.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:49 am 
JNC Enthusiast

That was quick! Spread Tools fantastic takubin service... Wiring as expected, eliminating reg, with a 40A fused link, so that's a decent capability. Hopefully the mechanics will be as easy as the electrics... Neko.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:47 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Old:

New:

I need to resolve fan attachment with a replacement pulley extension piece... I did adjust the cam chain tension though:

Engine number, and cylinder-shaped water jacket block:

After fan mounting, regulator re-wire, charge fuse replacement, and general right hand side wiring tidy-up... Cooling system reinstallation can then start. Neko.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:13 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Getting there. It took most of a day to replace block fitting, heater tap, new heater hoses, and firewall grommets. Easily, the passenger compartment heater module hose mounting flanges can be accessed without the need to remove anything under-dash. With the new grommets, one source of leaky fumes and heat into passenger compartment has gone. I also replaced spark plug cover butterfly nuts with smaller stainless single-piece M6 nuts. Looks a lot tidier... Neko.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:26 am 

i dont want to alarm you, but you know you are using a Toyota wrench on that Honda, right? .. that could be a source of future issues!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:05 pm 

e-at_me wrote:
i dont want to alarm you, but you know you are using a Toyota wrench on that Honda, right? .. that could be a source of future issues!

e-at_me,

What you may not realize is that early Honda's (in fact all Honda's) are so dependable factory tools were seldom required making Honda branded tools very scarce. Clearly our friend Neko had little trouble finding a very common and well used (for obvious reasons) Toyota wrench to preform some preventative maintenance with.

S800M

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:07 am 
JNC Enthusiast

^ Ha ha haaa... The 14/17mm combo (from our RT40 Corona kit) makes it a very versatile spanner! I'll have to be more discrete next time... Mmmm, shiny new bits (or rather dull alloy new bits):

The fan bolted up to the new stand-off spacer just fine. Replaced the old 30A fuse with a 40A, CRC contact cleaner works brilliant, and the new alternator bolted in perfectly. She now charges at idle, with high beam on. Great stuff!

Compared to the old, much better.

After a leak check on new hoses, and stuff, time for a drive... The temp sender is weeping a little, so I will pull it, and use a new washer, and perhaps a smidge of Permatex RTV gasket maker. Ride height still nags, so do those ignition leads... See ya! Neko.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:10 am 

looks perfect to me. glad you have it back on the road. ;)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 6   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next