#
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:08 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 97 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hakosuka Parts Interchageability Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:29 pm 

Out of curiosity I was doing some research on clutch master cylinder and brake master cylinder and while neither C10 part number turned up anything of use in the US, I'm pretty convinced the Z ones should work fine...

With one exception at least:

My C10's clutch master cylinder has the port for its hydraulic line on the japanese driver side (right)
Whereas all the datsun clutch master cylinders i found on eBay have their hydraulic line port on the us driver side (left)

Bending a hard line to the opposite side of the master cylinder isn't the end of the world i guess...
but has anyone found an exact replacement here stateside?

According to the pics on Rubber Soul's website, it looks like the kenmeri clutch master matches the US available ones with the hydraulic port on the US driver side

Regarding brake master cylinders, the C10's hard lines are setup the same as early 70-71 240Zs
While my C10 came with a 3/4" Tokico - I've noticed that the 7/8" Tokico from the 70-71 Z should bolt right on

I've also compared with a 15/16" Nabco that I am using on my Z and there the hard lines would have to be spaced out about 1" more than they are in stock form... also not the end of the world...

While I'm normally a big fan of Rubber Soul's offerings, I noticed that the identical Tokico 3/4" & 7/8" brake masters they sell are easily DOUBLE the price of what you can get them for on eBay here... over 30000yen

Also, I'm not really sure why eBay seller "reddat" sells them for over $400 when you can easily get them for $190-200...

Hope this helps...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:41 pm 

I have a vague recollection that on the early Z 7/8 master, the front and rear lines have swapped positions compared to the C10? (might be imagining this tho) :)

It didn't look like a biggie to bend the stock lines to make it work though

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:36 pm 

Kevin

You are correct: 70-71 Z master cylinder's hydraulic ports are the opposite of those on C10:

On the Z, forward port is for Front brake circuit
On C10, forward port is for Rear brake circuit

The reservoirs are shaped differently, with the one for the Front circuit having a larger volume so hopefully that's a clear indication to anyone swapping one in & hopefully will ensure they don't install their brake lines wrong...

The ones for sale at R+S have the correct reservoir arrangement for C10, for the purists I guess...

Later Zs have the same arrangement as C10 (rear circuit reservoir at front of master cylinder)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:33 am 

Last night I put a Maddat booster and 7/8 master cylinder in and it all bolted straight up ! I believe it is just a 120y combo. My clutch master failed so I used again a Maddat one. Not sure of that is actually is but I did have to swap the side of the line. I had both these sitting around not used so I used then intill I can get the orginal units rebuilt.

I also change the clutch slave to the 240z one I just used my orignal pushrod.

Ill shoot some pics up when I get the chance. And I'll be trying out the Aussie r31 front brakes to see they are interchangeable.
I also picked up some 240z sway bar links for cheap so
I'll try them out as well.

Now sure if any of this has made sense but I have gone 32 hours with out sleep so far!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:30 am 

32hrs ?!

Get some sleep man!...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:20 pm 

So here are the photos of my stock GC10 and a datsun 510 rear wheel cylinders. I took picture of them next to each other and they have a few things that look different but I think they are just from who made them. The piston size and the E-brake thing are both the same. The pistons both measured .812 (13/16).

I tried to get some rear cylinders from nissan USA and they were out of stock on back order. They also cost about $88 ea USD. So I Adam at Feast Auto and they were like 9000 yen per cylinder thru rubber soul. He did some looking around and found a place that sells the shoes and cylinders as a set for like 16000 yen. So that is what I went with. So long story short you can use datsun 510(1600) rear cylinders if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:00 pm 

I confirm what Reid found out

I noticed R+S sells an optional 15/16" rear wheel cylinder and lists it as working for both C10 & 510 ... Noticed the same thing on YAJ too..

Good stuff...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:41 pm 

Dave (sennavsprost) happened to pick up the latest issue of GWorks a couple days ago, and inside he found a full article about the different master cylinders - with dimensions... talk about timely...

If you need a higher res version, download it here:

http://www.ericgbauer.com/JNC/MC_high.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:41 pm 

when i installed my KGC110 brake master cyl it was too tight for the clutch master to fit properly. i ended up damn near crimping the hardline to get it in place that clutch master was almost $200. a few months back i had a buddy pick up a 280/40Z (cant recall which one it was now) clutch master and toss it my way. i wanted to see if it would bolt right in, and for under $40 it was a smart move.

before the swap i had very little clutch pedal stiffness, it still worked fine but it had no resistance at all.

i hand bent the line, i wanted to just cut it and re flare it but it wasnt long enough, so i just bent it very carefully by hand. its not as pretty as i would have preferred, but one day i will replace it with a new custom line i suppose.

the Z clutch master bolt holes were a tad too close together, so i took it to work and used the drill press to slot the holes and it went right in. in MY opinion its the best way to go. Its super cheap, plentiful, and looks really clean.
pretty sure i posted some pics in my short lived build thread, but it didnt get much attention, so i got bored with it LOL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:43 pm 

i didn't read the whole thread, but today i happened upon a chance to buy a really niceDR30 front coilover setup. does anyone know if the spindle is the same for the wheel bearing on the Hako and the DR's?? or would i have to swap hubs and bearings if i go to a DR front strut assembly?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:33 pm 

Tim

When you bolted the KGC110 brake booster to your C10 firewall, did you use a spacer between the booster and the firewall?

Rubber Soul (and I believe V50 as well) sell a upgraded brake booster for C10s which is basically just the wider diameter C110 unit.
They say that coupled with a larger master cylinder (they sell both 7/8" and 15/16"), it helps to push the added fluid required for aftermarket 4piston calipers and / or rear disc brake conversions. It's a pretty common mod from what I can tell on C10s and I believe Kevin did this to his Hako as well, right?

For C10 owners wanting to do this conversion they also sell a billet aluminum adapter - it's about 3/8" (10mm) thick and spaces the brake booster out from the firewall. They do explain that fitment will be tight but that it will work. I had Adam @ FEAST order me one and I just received it last week. I was able to confirm that the master cylinder mounting studs on the C110 brake booster will work with both a US S30Z 7/8" master cylinder and a US later Z 15/16" master cylinder.

The only difference being that, as was mentionned above, the hako and the Z have their master cylinder reservoirs for front and rear circuits reversed so you'd have to modify your hardlines if you didn't want to source the right larger volume master cylinder from Japan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:05 pm 

Hey E,

yea i didn't know you needed that spacer when i bought the booster, but after a bit of research i figured it out, you can probably see the spacer in my build thread, i have no base for comparison, but i have NO complaints about the 110 booster. and lost of the older guys get excited when i pop my hood and they see it. they are like NANI!!!! (What?!?!) and i explain that its a Kenmeri booster, they are like Majide!!(are you kidding??) especially if its another Hako owner, and he sees the size difference (some times size DOES matter..)

i bought both pieces off the auctions separately, i may have about $300 tied up into the two pieces?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:36 pm 

yeah $300 sounds about right for both

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:19 pm 

So I have some good news to share regarding gaskets for aftermarket header to aftermarket exhaust:

My S30 240Z has a modern day PS30 "432" style exhaust manufactured by TRUST.
It's twin 50mm pipes running the length of the car with a muffler at back with the vertically stacked beveled exhaust tips.

My C10 Hako has a "GT-R" style stainless exhaust.
It also features twin 50mm pipes running the length of the car.

The header to exhaust gasket is identical on both cars.

The header gasket that came with both is a metal coated cardboard type situation, which apparently is as easy to find here in SoCal as unicorns... I went to Midas, Pepboys, Autozone, 2 mom n pop parts stores, 2 mom n pop muffler shops and NONE of them had anything that came close to matching what I needed.

So I searched Yahoo Auctions Japan.
I found something with a Nissan part number that looked like it would work.
It was listed at 1500jpy (about $20)

I asked Adam @ FEAST to bid on it for me.
He did me one better, he called the local Nissan dealership parts department in Yokohama and found that not only was the part number still in production, but its retail price (750jpy) was cheaper than the YAJ auction link.

I had him order several and mail them to me.

I just test fit them and they work perfectly.
They are a nice 5 layer metal gasket - no paper of any kind.

I'm quite happy...
Thanks Adam!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:15 am 

Nice :) Mine's just caked-up with sealant I think :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:58 am 

Great bit of info there!
Cheers mate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:29 pm 

i had my buddy order me a couple of matching flanges when i busted my header collector. the flange matches the flanges on a buddies subaru. so if you want to build a custom exhaust (i was planning to build a side exit exhaust) you can use those flanges. my buddy ordered mine from HKS though. they were super cheap like $20 for a pair

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:48 pm 

Hi guys

I just tried fitting a 240Z clutch master to my C10 and it didn't work...
The 240Z clutch master I tried was Nissan p/n 30610-u7517

Both are 5/8" bore
C10 has hydraulic fitting on right side of master
240Z has hydraulic fitting on left side of master

The problem was the two mounting studs that secure the clutch master to the firewall...
The outer to outer dimension on the C10 studs is about 70mm

the outer to outer dimension on the 240Z clutch master is more like 66mm
I don't really want to open up the holes on the clutch master to force it to fit...
There's got to be one in the States I can use...

kgc10 gtx - you said you used a Z clutch master and it went on fine...
Any chance you can check part number so I can get the same?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:47 pm 

ericbauer wrote:
Hi guys

kgc10 gtx - you said you used a Z clutch master and it went on fine...
Any chance you can check part number so I can get the same?

Mate I used the 240z clutch slave not the master
The master I used was one from Maddat but have now found out it is out of a Toyota hilux only used that cause it's all I had spare at 5am 2 hours before a car show. Had to move the hard line to the other side of the master as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:50 am 

as i stated in my reply a while back, i had the same problem, i dont think you have any other option to be honest with you. (Maybs a z32??) i had no problem opening mine up, and it works great. i have no regrets at all, and it looks like it belongs there.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 97 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next