#
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 5   [ 90 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Series 2 RX7 - my new toy!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:36 am 

Put my new interior in today :D I must say the transformation in both appearance and comfort is remarkable!!

Took it out for a spin to test out the seats and took a few happy snaps as the weather was beautiful....

So with the interior stripped out I took the opportunity to give the car a good vacuum and clean inside.

The interior has gone from this

To this......

$250 well spent I think.......
I cleaned up the door trims as well. Came up a treat and are as clean as the seats now!!

A few shots in the back yard

I LOVE this look on rotor exhausts....

A few shots down near the beach.....

Put a jap plate on it......for the "authentic" shots.....

I am really happy with the car, especially considering the very small outlay thus far....
Am enjoying just cruising around in it on the weekend....making excuses to drive it.

Unfortunately I broke the headlight switch tonight while messing around, so will have to track down one tomorrow. :roll:

One last shot of the car with it's next owner.... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:54 am 

8) Looks tuff. glad you grabbed a bargain. but those plates 616 reminded me! I am going to be a hard man and say the 2 coupe could be progressing with half a day or two here n there!.. sorry :lol: keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:03 am 

Ha Ha, yeah....if i could get to it.....

House first, then 2 coupe. First project is to rub the whole car back. Would rather do that when I have no other major distractions in life and do it in one shot, prime it in one shot etc....Nothing else to be done to it until its resprayed....

For now just loving clocking up heaps of kays in the 7....Wife went out for a "High Tea" today....def not my thing...daughter and I took the 7 to Unley so we could have Sushi train for lunch, cruised into town, down Anzac, down to the bay, along the beach and back home....windows down, tunes on and the constant BRAAAAAP, BRAAAAAP in my ears....Happy Days.... :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:13 am 

:tu: :mrgreen: yeah I can see the enjoyment in that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:00 am 

I think I am breeding a little rotor head.....she loves cruising in the 7! Unfortunately she takes control of the iPod most of the time, so the tunes can be questionable.......but it is cool having her along for the ride

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:44 am 
Mild Cam

jdmrx2 wrote:
I think I am breeding a little rotor head.....she loves cruising in the 7! Unfortunately she takes control of the iPod most of the time, so the tunes can be questionable.......but it is cool having her along for the ride

For your benefit, I hope "Call Me Maybe" is not nearly as big over there as it is here. :lol:

Your last anecdote painted a lovely picture...that's what these cars are all about! Enjoying the sights, thoe sounds, and the drive with the people you love most...that's what the designers were envisioning when they built these machines.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:31 pm 

Looks like a nice cruiser Benn. Good to see that youre getting your daughter involved too mate. My oldest daughter wants nothing to do with my R1 but the younger one (2 1/2) fucking loves it. Was stripping down my diff the other day and she was next too me holding spanners for me and dancing to the rythm of the sledge hammer when one one the axels refused to come out :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:26 am 

Camshaft wrote:
jdmrx2 wrote:

For your benefit, I hope "Call Me Maybe" is not nearly as big over there as it is here. :lol:

Your last anecdote painted a lovely picture...that's what these cars are all about! Enjoying the sights, thoe sounds, and the drive with the people you love most...that's what the designers were envisioning when they built these machines.

Haha that just cracked me up!! Number one on the "questionable tunes list" is.....you guessed it.....call me maybe. I reckon we listened to it 3 or 4 times yesterday....you must have daughters!!

Yeah you are right, in hindsight looking back on yesterday, it was a great day sharing my passion with one of my kids. Exactly what an RX7 should be all about....enjoyment....driving the car makes me happy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:30 am 

mattrx2 wrote:
Looks like a nice cruiser Benn. Good to see that youre getting your daughter involved too mate. My oldest daughter wants nothing to do with my R1 but the younger one (2 1/2) fucking loves it. Was stripping down my diff the other day and she was next too me holding spanners for me and dancing to the rythm of the sledge hammer when one one the axels refused to come out :lol:

Hey Matt, that is pure gold right there. My 15 year old son isn't really fussed by either of the rotors, but Em loves them, especially "Hanna" the 7. Glad to see you getting the kids involved. Maybe in 30 years our daughters will be out cruising in an R1 and a 2 coupe....Or would have cashed them in for houses.... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:17 am 

Looks nice. When I get a house with a decent shed I'd love an early RX7. It's a shame they way most of them turn out in Australia though!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:29 am 

timmy201 wrote:
Looks nice. When I get a house with a decent shed I'd love an early RX7. It's a shame they way most of them turn out in Australia though!

Are you referring to the fact a lot of them turn out neglected rust heaps or to the "Leb spec" versions that roam the streets of Sydney at night? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:34 am 

Yes to both. And they all seem to have gigantic exhausts and turbos. I'd rather have a mildly tweaked NA. And on 15" wheels. Not 18" chromies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:41 am 

timmy201 wrote:
Yes to both. And they all seem to have gigantic exhausts and turbos. I'd rather have a mildly tweaked NA. And on 15" wheels. Not 18" chromies

Couldn't agree more....although I am guilty of the gigantic exhaust bit.....every rotary should have one :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:53 pm 
Mild Cam

jdmrx2 wrote:
Haha that just cracked me up!! Number one on the "questionable tunes list" is.....you guessed it.....call me maybe. I reckon we listened to it 3 or 4 times yesterday....you must have daughters!!

No, but I hear it at an alarming rate just going through the motions in everyday life. A friend just told me they heard it twice in the same shopping mall food court, in the span of one hour. :shock: It's bad enough that I now sing a parody version about trying to buy rusty heaps I see on the roadside from hillbillies who usually answer the door with a shotgun. :lol:

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:02 pm 

jdmrx2 wrote:
Couldn't agree more....although I am guilty of the gigantic exhaust bit.....every rotary should have one :lol:

Oh yeah, I'd do it to mine too, but I wouldnt buy one with a big exhaust and turbo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:20 am 

Spent a bit of time today messing about with the carby to try to grt it to idle lower and more consistently. Used the basic Nikki tuning guide on the Sterling US site.

Car now idles at about 750-800 rpm happily and is more consistent when it returns to idle from drive speed.

The tachometer has been a bit funny for the first couple minutes when started, but is fine once warm or on second start. Assume trailing ignition module is suspect, so ordered 2 new ones from the US.

Ordered some new door rubbers from the states as well to replace the perished ones that are on it.

Fitted up my new momo wheel as well, but since removed it.....heaps easier to get in and out of the car with the momo, but I just don't think it suits the car.....so have put the original wheel back in....looks much better, just a pain getting in and out......sucks being 6'3.......

Still haven't got around to polishing the rims. It's hard to polish something that won't stop spinning as I am always driving it!!

Wil get them done soon and post up some pics. :D

Tie rod ends next on the list.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:34 pm 

jdmrx2 wrote:
just a pain getting in and out......sucks being 6'3.......

Still haven't got around to polishing the rims. It's hard to polish something that won't stop spinning as I am always driving it!!

Ha ha I feel your pain, I'm 6'5!

Tie rod ends next on the list? the 7 now has a list... uh ohhhh hahaha!

If your driving it allot just black out the stripes on your rims give a quick clean and keep em spinning!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:07 am 

beans161 wrote:
jdmrx2 wrote:
just a pain getting in and out......sucks being 6'3.......

Ha ha I feel your pain, I'm 6'5!

Tie rod ends next on the list? the 7 now has a list... uh ohhhh hahaha!

If your driving it allot just black out the stripes on your rims give a quick clean and keep em spinning!

6'5....you should be an R100 owner....most of them seem to be very tall!!

Yeah, I know it has a "list".....it's only a small one though....ha ha....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:50 am 

Had a bit of a play with the 7 today in between spring tidy up chores.....

Fitted 2 new ignition modules so figured I may as well put a new dissy cap, rotor button and a pair of new coils in for good measure.

Also pulled all the boot plastics out, gave them a good clean and went over them with wax and grease remover. Bought some VHT vinyl dye in burgundy and repainted all the plastics. Let dry and put all back together. It's not a perfect color match, but looks a whole lot better. The trims had faded badly and where turning white, so are now a nice rich maroon. Also traced and recut some new carpet for the section that hangs vertically from the hatch down to the floor, as the original was shagged.

Now I don't have to pull the hatch blind out to hide my ugly boot all the time!!

Still need to do something with the wheels....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:43 am 

Decided to do something about the rims today. The matt silver finish just isn't right. Not wanting to spend a fortune on getting them stripped and polished, I tackled them myself.

Gace them a coating of Mr Muscle oven cleaner and let them sit for an hour or so. Then rinsed them off and gave them a quick wash with detergent.

Then grabbed my buffer and put an old 8 inch meguiars foam pad on it. Put some mothers metal polish all over the wheels, turned the buff up to 5 and went for it!! Then added a bit of water to the mix with more polish and went back over the rims. Used a small cotton polishing wheel on the drill to get around the tyre valves. Gave the wheels a good wash down with a wheel brush and detergent and dried.

The difference is incredible. Obviously not a "show" finish, but came up fine for a streeter!! Didn't even take the wheels of the car....will have to come off tomorrow so that I can mask up and paint the back bits in black and hopefully polish up the nuts.

Will post up some pics tomorrow.

Also ordered some "Savanna RX7" badges today, so I will replace the factory ones with these. For some reason I have always like these better than the stock ones.

Now need to re-black the door frames and fit up the new door rubbers. At some stage I need to repaint the mirrors and I would like to take all the gutter and front windscreen mouldings off, strip them and redo then in black as the finish on them at present is not that great.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 5   [ 90 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next