#
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
 Post subject: 1972 Mazda 1800 Estate wagon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:05 pm 

Hey
I just purchased a Mazda Estate wagon. It's been sitting for 10+ years in a barn, but seems to be complete and in good shape. It has a small dent on the nose and a little rust on the floorplan but otherwise is very straight and complete. My question is: do these have any real collecter value? The engine and trans are unknown condition (it doesn't run and is locked up) and I'm figuring the hydr. are in need of rebuild. While it would take a serious effort to restore to original condition, it looks like a good canidate for trackday/racecar. Anyone out there have any experience with these cars? I've searched online and haven't found much. A rotary conversion seems likely although I like the idea of a 1.8 miata engine/trans. Keep in mind the car is no diamond in the rough...more like lucky to get a second chance to run again. I have a first gen Rx7 racecar and a GTA alfa vintage racecar that I've raced and restored.

Last edited by Olycarguy on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 1970 Mazda 1800 Estate wagon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:10 am 

Hi mate, if you post up a few pictures for us to look at you might get a few more replies. This can be a funny old place as it seems pictures get answer faster.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:34 am 

Hi Oly,
I think it would be a shame to race such a good looking & historical car. First significant bing and there goes a lot of history.

Whereabouts are you? Would also be interested to see some pics of car -

Stuart.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:16 am 

Hey
I will post pictures as soon as I can..... my iphone is my only computer and can't load pictures with it (unless someone knows a trick). I'm not sure about racing it, but it most likely will see time as a trackday car. If it does see time in competition it will be company with other racers that are also concerned about smashing up their vintage iron..... my $50K Alfa included.
I was hoping to find out about the suspension and drivetrain of these Mazda's...
and of course value. I don't want to convert to rotary or modern drivetrain if they're worth more bone stock..... From what I can find on the net, the only real value is that it's a Bertone design, 1970's Japanese built survivor.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:15 pm 

Ok, I picked up the wagon this weekend and was just a bit horrified when I arrived to claim it. Photo's coming soon. My eyes are failing me a bit in old age and my memory is not far behind. Granted, the barn was dark and the car buried under car parts.... The car is rough. I bought it anyway with the intent of building a racecar. As it turns out the car is a 1972, not a 1970 as I stated earlier..... The original 1.8 and 4 spd. are in, it but in unknown condition. Nestled in the back was a twin distributor 12a and a 4spd. complete but condition unknown. Rust has munched its way around enough to lighten the car by at least 50 pounds....(haha)
This is going to be a fun build.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:01 pm 

Update: I pulled the plugs on the 1.8 and #'s 3&4 have smashed the ends of the plugs in a terminal manor.... I'm giving up on the piston engine and moving towards a rotary conversion. I'd like to use the twin dist. 12a that came in the boot, but I don't know what condition it's in and how difficult parts are to find. Pros or cons anyone?? I have a 12a and 5spd. from an 84 Rx7 that is supposed to be in good working order and that will probably end up in the car. Anyone have experience with this swap?? I've done a few rotary conversions but this body design (2 piece driveshaft) is new to me. The way the engine/suspension cradle bolts to the car seems weak and flexible. Any proven mods?
I cleaned and scrubed the car, popped out a few dents and got the body looking much better. The floorpan is good enough to run, I'll have to weld in a few small patch panels but overall it's good. The lower front valance is damaged beyond repair and I need to source one. Anyone out there have any spares?? I also need a left front fender and left rear tail light.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:53 am 

There are some converted on ausrotary... You might have to sign up but there is some good stuff if you can dig it up..

13bt
Link: http://66.240.222.38/viewtopic.php?f=21 ... 9d8b30e905

12a
Link: http://66.240.222.38/viewtopic.php?f=21 ... 9d8b30e905

Long owners discussion thread
http://66.240.222.38/viewtopic.php?f=21 ... 9d8b30e905

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:44 am 

Hey
Thanks for the link. Funny on the timing.... I just signed up with the Aus. Rotary site last night. Great site with lots of info. I've been back and forth with the idea of rotary conversion vs. piston engine..... I'm planning on running the car in the "24 Hours of LeMons" race series. Fuel mileage and pit stops play a huge role in winning, so the rotary is a hard sell in that light. I'm going to do it anyway. I plan on making the rotary engine mounts "bolt in" so that I can switch to a piston engine if so desired.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:01 am 

here are ac couple of pictures:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:41 am 

Thanks for posting those pic's Kiwi808!!
The car looks worse than it actually is..... After alot of cleanIng it looks better and not so sad. A little rusty and neglected but that's all changing.... I'm going to pick up a 1984 Rx7 this weekend that will provide a 12a, 5spd and maybe rearend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:01 pm 

Hey Olycarguy,
This was the 1st Mazda to not have a rotary. Historically speaking, that is significant. You should rebuild the 1800 & run with it. It was not a Bertone design, but a Guigiaro, another Itallian design house. Same guy that designed Alphas & many other beautiful cars. This is the same engine as the early Ford Couriers, so use 1971 or 72 Courier at the auto parts store to get what you need. The side draft carb was one of the reasons it made good power & you could easily add a second of you have a good machinist. These didn't handle that great, but they did have posi traction, at least mine did. Won't be a great track car. Better restored as a grocery getter. They do not have a high demand & do not sell for much more than what you paid. Typically around $1000 for one that runs. Getting harder to find though. Please, if you decide not to restore it, get in touch with me. dkcomet@yahoo.com. I have been trying to find a wagon & have not had luck. The last one I came across was for sale cheap for a long time & by the time I found it, the guy had it crushed & was selling only small parts. They are much more common & popular in Australia, but still not too many.
Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:12 pm 

The wagon is too rough for restoration, (as far as cost is concerned). Rust has found its way through the floorpan, bottom of drivers door, front fenders are questionable, multiple holes in the hood and the engine is toast (cyl. #3 and #4 have chunks of aluminum visible through sparkplug holes).
Plans are to swap in a FE3 and make it a trackday/racecar. I'm not a butcher by any means, so all the mods will tastefully done keeping the original look of the car intact.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:57 pm 

dkcomet wrote:
Hey Olycarguy,
This was the 1st Mazda to not have a rotary. Historically speaking, that is significant. You should rebuild the 1800 & run with it. It was not a Bertone design, but a Guigiaro, another Itallian design house. Same guy that designed Alphas & many other beautiful cars. This is the same engine as the early Ford Couriers, so use 1971 or 72 Courier at the auto parts store to get what you need. The side draft carb was one of the reasons it made good power & you could easily add a second of you have a good machinist. These didn't handle that great, but they did have posi traction, at least mine did. Won't be a great track car. Better restored as a grocery getter. They do not have a high demand & do not sell for much more than what you paid. Typically around $1000 for one that runs. Getting harder to find though. Please, if you decide not to restore it, get in touch with me. dkcomet@yahoo.com. I have been trying to find a wagon & have not had luck. The last one I came across was for sale cheap for a long time & by the time I found it, the guy had it crushed & was selling only small parts. They are much more common & popular in Australia, but still not too many.
Cheers,
David

These where not the first mazda to NOT have a rotary. eg mazda 360,800,1000 etc.
Giorgetto Guigiaro was the man who designed the car.Mazda signed an agreement with Bertone the company to design the car.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:26 am 

An update on how things are shaping up. The 84 Rx7 GSL I picked as a donor turned out to be too nice to break apart. Although it had been sitting for 7 years (after theft recovery), the car took minimal effort to get going again. The car is loaded w/ just about every option and they all seem to work.... so it will find new life.
On to the wagon. Yesterday I picked up the FE3 2.0 liter and all the bits to make it run. A few weeks ago I picked up a B2000 5spd. transmission for the swap, so now it's down to rebuilding the engine/transmission and finding the high performance bits to make it fast. I need to locate an aluminum flywheel and performance cams.....

Post subject: Re: 1972 Mazda 1800 Estate wagon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:43 pm 

Hey Luce fans I've decided to sell the wagon. I don't have the time to restore it and hate to cut it up for a racecar. Someone please save it!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:15 pm 

Where is the car located? Washington state or Oregon area? I may have someone interested...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:36 pm 

The car is in Olympia Washington. If they're interested they might want to move kind of quick as I'm gearing up to start converting it into a racecar. I haven't had any serious buyers and racing season is just around the corner.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:24 pm 

How much if you sell the 1800 and 12a? For a track car u really need to stick with a 1st gen rx7. Does the 1800 have an automatic?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]