#
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:21 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 6   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Tokyo S800M Coupe.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:21 am 

Firstly, it's a beautiful machine that you have there.

Re: that blanking plate in the console, here's a screen grab of a video I shot of a junked S800. Sadly, there's that big piece of steel covering the... whatever is under it. You being familiar with the car might be able to determine what. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:49 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

wasabicars wrote:
Thoughts?

Could be a bumper from another car perhaps, as its straight not dipped like an ur-S. What its covering though is an auto-seek OEM radio. Based on the dash design, and non-silvered meter surrounds, it looks like an S600 too, not an S800. Nice find regardless!

A few weekends ago, I took mine back to the 1960s to waste some film (and buy some salad ingredients)...

Arigato! Neko.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:47 pm 

On my current alloys I am running 175/70
I have some 145!/80/13 on an original steel set- but have never mounted them to see what it looks like yet.

On the subject of blanking plates- I have a hastily superglued in example that came with the car.
*I've just realised my vent controls are mysteriously cut in twain after comparing to your photo.

Have you found the secret air vents on each lateral side of the car under the dashboard?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:18 am 
JNC Enthusiast

145, that would be a small tire for sure! I think a 175 seems to be the best option for me. I've seen a few blanking plates for sale, but they cost more than the radio, so the choice was easy. I found my secret vents when I was looking at the body diagrams, and saw a Karmann Ghia like duct from the front of the car. Not sure they've ever been used as they took a bit to get open, but the foam sealing needs replacing.

Today's job, in 33C heat, was replacing in the sound deadener with new needle felt. Very cost effective, and very easy to work. Makes a huge difference for both heat and road noise over nothing. Carpet as template, normal scissors able to cut.

Some of the floor bungs were unserviceable, so I replaced with new general purpose grommets.

Rear area, trimmed up nicely.

Seats installed and fully bolted in for the first time in a month or more.

In looking for some alloy options, I came across this set. Only \60,000 but they looked a bit ratty, and not sure of the style. But these do appear to be the type fitted to the period Suzuki Garage special, so there's some history on this period style. No idea what they are though.

Like most S600/800 the red zone on the tach has faded on my car, and this racing tach was for sale this week too. But I passed as mine is smooth and stable, and has nicely faded like rest of meters, so not worth it for just the cosmetic benefit. Though the style looks kinda cool...

See ya! Neko.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:59 am 

would that wheel be a Hayashi Street? if they are, its odd they wouldn't be advertised as such..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm 
Mild Cam

RdS wrote:
would that wheel be a Hayashi Street? if they are, its odd they wouldn't be advertised as such..

Beat me to it. Stepped lip and everything. Wicked cool that you found a size to fit the S800. :tu: They'll look good with the grey body. 8)

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:26 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Not listed as anything more than ホンダS800 600 500用アルミホイール (Honda S800 etc Aluminum Wheels). So perhaps they are copies? Regardless, they're only \40,000 now and while I could easy clean up I would be a little concerned of corrosion or cracks. Here's another set of S800 suitable alloys, looking strangely familiar to the Porsche driver in me as well...

Sharing the same 5x130PCD as 356C, 914/6, and 911 I suppose it was inevitable someone would fit Fuch to an S-series. My present license plate however would exclude them alone... How embarrassment! Neko.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:03 am 

neko, get those Hayashis!! i saw them on your flickr and instantly started drooling.. they will look soooo good!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:11 am 
Mild Cam

Go for it! Those wheels look huge on the S800, and not at all in a bad way!

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject: Re: An S800M Coupe in Tokyo.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 am 

I've got to say, that dash is a beautiful example of gauge clockwork. Classy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:58 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

e-at_me wrote:
neko, get those Hayashis!!

Not a bad idea, but not sure this set for sale are any good without an x-ray check... To round out seeing what the wheel options look like, here's a set of Fuchs and TT RS steels fitted:

But the red car's Watanabe above looks OK too. So, a friend of a friend has a set I am going to look at this morning, so if they're OK, they might have to do.

palatine wrote:
I've got to say, that dash is a beautiful example of gauge clockwork. Classy.

Nice simple design indeed. Reminds me of my early 911, just missing the matching clock... Neko.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:50 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Boring and dirty job. But at least I know the differential and gearbox oil is new, clean, and the right types. Why does gear oil stink so bad?

I guess someone did not have the right size 10mm square drive for the differential drain and fill plugs, using the well proven hammer and screwdriver removal technique previously. I went to replace with new ones, but could only find 1.5mm pitch 20mm plugs, not 2.0mm pitch as per these. Still, a little PTFE tape on the neck threads, and they seat nicely. The heads just look mashed. Again, only a cosmetic change not needed for any function...

The SAE90 differential oil (LSD high pressure rated) has made the rear-end a little quieter, as looking at the viscosity of the previous fill, it looked like regular gear-box oil. Same same I suppose, but a bit quieter is nice.

I also picked up some NOS period Racing Service Watanabe wheels. Gray, still in boxes & original packing, with original valve stems, RS Watanabe valve caps, and manufacturer guarantee cards (above). Made in November 1988, they've not been used. Neko.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:49 am 
Mild Cam

Kuroneko wrote:
I also picked up some NOS period Racing Service Watanabe wheels. Gray, still in boxes & original packing, with original valve stems, RS Watanabe valve caps, and manufacturer guarantee cards. Made in November 1988, they've not been used. Neko.

WHAT

Pictures now! :D

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:01 am 
JNC Enthusiast

With the mounting pad on the Wat being thicker than the steel, the rear studs will need replacing with longer ones, and I need some new tires before fitting. The fronts appear OK on the test fit above presenting two threads proud of the nut. The disks filling the void nicely too, avoiding that silly look of tiny disks seen through massive wheels. Color seems to suit well. Rather pleased, though I will need to freshen up the rear drums a little. The font on the guarantee card has a great nostalgic look. Thanks. Neko.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:10 pm 

Epic win! Those will look awesome fitted. Hard for me to choose between Wats and TE37s as my favourite wheel of all time, but I think the Wats will best suit the S800.

Aside, it's amusing to me that such a light car has 5-stud wheels. What's the PCD?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:56 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

^ Hey thanks! Agree, the gray matches the dark body well. Someone has offered to buy my old steels too, making it double-plus good.

Curiously, I've only seen a few S-series with Watanabe in Japan, with most fitting Cosmic. It might be a gaijin thing too, as I suspect the Watanabe is considered a little 'working class' locally. Lucky I've got a matching Xebec shirt...

It's a 5x 130PCD, and why Honda used it I do not think anyone knows. At the time they were putting together the S-series design the 356C and TTS both had 5x 130 PCD wheels, so perhaps the thought was to be able and share performance wheels of the day?

Got a set of mild Advan this week as well, and am waiting on proper nuts, so after stud replacement, I can fit. Neko.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:02 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Step One - fitting & balancing at my local stando. 175/60R13 Yokohama Advan AD05/06 replacing 185/60R13 Spainisch made Targa.

Step Two - replacing original rear short studs, with alloy-length longer (+15mm) studs. Initially, I had thought axle removal and press needed, but a fellow S-hachi driver suggested the method of a lump-hammer, and loosening brake plate to allow the long stud to wriggle in place a lot easier than removing the whole axle. So I capped the old studs and tapped them out easily, removing the shoe hardware the new ones wiggled in, I cleaned the hub splines and using the steel nuts to tighten up, the new ones pulled in flush nicely. Making sure the rear-chamfer cleared the inner hub flange.

Though the man at Watanabe advised the OEM steel nuts were OK for street use on the alumi wheels, as others suggested I am waiting on delivery of some proper M10xP1.5 steel nuts with a 60 degree taper suited for the alumi wheels, so when I've got those a test drive will be next. Neko.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:05 pm 

just waiting for the last piece of the puzzle then.

Kuroneko wrote:
I've only seen a few S-series with Watanabe in Japan, with most fitting Cosmic. It might be a gaijin thing too, as I suspect the Watanabe is considered a little 'working class' locally. Lucky I've got a matching Xebec shirt...

this sort of thing is fascinating to me, I have next to zero insight into class distinctions within Japanese society.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:42 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Camshaft wrote:
Pictures now! :D
Sure; I've got some replacement lug-nuts now, so I will fit and get the car out of the driveway for some proper photographs then... Any excuse! Next on the car comes dirty, messy, less fun jobs I suppose - the ignition system (I've got some new plugs & lead retainers ready to go, and am waiting on some Pertronix hardware), making a battery tie-down of some sort (OEM parts are near impossible to get, so any suggestions would be great), new door & tailgate weather seals, fix some bits on the interior like securing some more sound-deadening, securing carpets somehow, replacing vent foam seals, and then perhaps a wiring clean-up.
samoht wrote:
just waiting for the last piece of the puzzle then.
this sort of thing is fascinating to me, I have next to zero insight into class distinctions within Japanese society.
A difficult subject on which to make an intelligent comment, not without resorting to generalizations perhaps. But, still entertaining... Thanks. Neko.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:34 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Proper lug-nuts fitted, and I was planning on getting out and taking some real photographs, but too much else on. I need to adjust ride-height a little, but the change in feel is remarkable. Much better turn-in, with more squirming-about road feedback present (which I like), and no real change in compliance - though rough roads are not exactly common in Tokyo...

The new wheel / tire combination weighs 12.5kg a corner, not as light as I thought they would be, over the 13.1kg of the old combination, but a little change for the better. Plus, they look damn nasty... My lovely wife commented, 'OK, now I see, it looks like a man's car...' See ya! Neko.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 6   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next