#
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 10   [ 184 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Norwegian Toyota Cressida RX30 2JZ-GE project
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:15 pm 

yyz78 wrote:
Great stuff, thankyou sir :tu:
can't wait to hear what it sounds like with that exhaust!

Me neither, but I it should be sexy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:23 am 

fredriksoerlie wrote:
Engine is now bolted in place, and we're now working on the fuel supply (new fuel lines and a catch tank in the boot) and the electronics. We have also started on the exhaust which will be a dual 2" system all the way. I've decided on the dual pipes to try and mimic the sound of the old Hakosuka racecars as much as possible :D

This week I recieved some goodies in the mail as well. From TechnoToyTuning I got the stronger and shorter steering arms, RCAs and weld on LCA kit, and from Kurumamotoring I got a set of short stroke Tokico HTS dampers. Haven't quite decided on springs yet though. Any suggestions?

I've also bought a front chin spoiler and a couple of Tsurikawas from Japan. Looking forward to getting to the point where they can be fitted :)

НЕШТЯК!!ЗАЕБИСЬ!!!NICE NICE NICE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:41 am 

Asked him about the crossmember, and he said he could do it. We still have some changes to make to my prototype, but once we got everything lined up he could make a jig for it. However, he said that they will probably be expensive. A rough estimate would be ~$900, so not sure if it's worth it for anyone?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:56 pm 

Ok, so we've made some progress lately. Here's an update :)

Basically the car is now more or less drivable. We've done quite a bit of work on the front suspension to achieve the correct geometry for the new ridheight and steering rack. The lower control arms have been reinforced and the inside bushing is replaced with a ball joint. The mounting position has also been altered a bit to allow for increased steering angle as well as perfect camber gain and roll center. The end result is a very well setup front suspension (at least in theory) and 70° of steering lock. I need smaller front wheels though, as my 9x15's are way too big :P

Image Image Image Image Image

We are also in the process of fitting new front brakes. David managed to source front calipers and discs from a JDM Caldina at a very reasonable price. The old front brakes will replace the rear drums.

We've also finished the suspension. The front struts was shortened to accomodate the new Tokico HTS dampers. We have yet to decide on springrates, but I'll probably go with a 9kg/7kg setup with Öhlin springs. For now I will keep the stock arb at the front and add a stock AE86 arb at the rear. Might upgrade later though.

Image Image Image

The exhaust is also more or less finished. Just need to weld a little more. The rear silencer might have to go though, or at least the DTM-style tip! It's horrible!

Finally I spent way too much money on a custom built, powder coated alloy radiator :P

There's still plenty of stuff left to do, but at least we were able to fire it up today and it sounded great. The engine fired on the first attempt and ran great. Hopefully it'll be back on the road again soon :)

Here's a video from the startup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ3e6sXVB7g

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:12 pm 

Wow!
Amazing......I now have an ideal to dream of if I ever change my front suspension and steering of my JZX32..
sick :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:31 pm 

Hi guys. Sorry about the lack of updates, but progress has been a little slow so I wanted to make a large update when I had something to show you. We've made some progress lately, so today I snapped a lot of pictures and planned a proper update. However, my phone messed up and seems to have deleted all the images I took today. I know they were there, as I showed them to my mate, but when I went to copy them to my computer they were gone :(

Oh well, I have some from earlier this week, so they will have to do for now. I promise a better update next week as the first test drive is scheduled on monday (yay!).

The main reason progress has been a little slow is that we've been testing different front suspension and crossmember solutions. The first custom crossmember has been scrapped, and we are still not 100% happy with the current version. As I've probably mentioned before we have converted the car from steering box to a rack. We have also made custom front suspension arms and are aiming for a good amount of lock in case I decide to drift it (known to happen every now and then...). The difficult part has been to get the rack in the correct position. It's still a bit too far back, but we are working on it. So far we have 61° of steering angle without rubbing, but we are aiming for a bit more :)

Anyway, the car is basically drivable now, allthough we still have to finish everything and tidy it up a bit.

First of all I want to show you my new wheels and my front struts. Wheels are 7x14" SSR Longchamps. Not as agressive as the 9x15" Rota's, but a lot nicer. I might widen the rears a bit later. These will be my "drive fast" wheels, so I wrapped them in 185/60-14 Toyo R888's. No stretch, but still looks great in my eyes.

Edit: Sorry about the thumbnails. Stupid 800px rule...

Here the struts are in place. Notice the custom brake caliper adapter. The calipers I use are from the SW20 MR2 and the discs are vented S13 items.

At the moment the car has Cusco lower arms and caster arms, but they are only borrowed while we make our own (not happy with the lock achieved with the custom stock arms). Lock is better now.

My mate likes to mark his parts in pink. Here's the custom throttle pedal and the steering column thingy (no idea what it's called).

Here's how it sits right now. We still haven't done the setup, so heights might be adjusted a little. We want it as low as possible without rubbing.

As a final bonus, here's my custom painted fuel catch tank. Looks awesome. Hand painted by my mate Kristoffer.

I'll bring a proper camera on monday and get some nicer pics of all the custom bits and pieces :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:35 pm 

Oh, and I made a matching drift trike!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:16 am 

Where did you source that steering wheel? Since my corona is gonna be a drifter I need something with a little bit more of a sports feel. I really like that steering wheel.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:19 pm 

Wagon_MX29 wrote:
Where did you source that steering wheel? Since my corona is gonna be a drifter I need something with a little bit more of a sports feel. I really like that steering wheel.

Hi. Got it from EP Importers in Japan: http://www.ep-importers.com/apps/websto ... ow/2769121

I really like it too :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:18 pm 

Very happy today. Was able to take the car for it's first test drive with the new engine! We still have long to-do list, but it was very nice to drive it and confirm that we are on the right track. Drove it around a little and gave it a good wash! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud1CMVrf-Hk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:30 pm 

Worked on finishing the wiring today, and had some issues with the water temp not working as it should (showing too low temp) and also unsure about what to do with the speed sensor. We didn't get to drive it hard on our test drive, but it felt like it wasn't really giving full power at high revs. Could it be that it needs a speed sensor signal?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:20 am 

fredriksoerlie wrote:
Worked on finishing the wiring today, and had some issues with the water temp not working as it should (showing too low temp) and also unsure about what to do with the speed sensor. We didn't get to drive it hard on our test drive, but it felt like it wasn't really giving full power at high revs. Could it be that it needs a speed sensor signal?

If it was vss....you probably would have hit a soft rev limit at around 5500 rpm.....
Dont think vss would effect power output

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:24 am 

Are you getting any codes from ecu?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 am 

No codes. Do I need the speed sensor connected at all really?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:05 am 

Why do you have that "accordion" junction on just one down pipe only?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:29 am 

fredriksoerlie wrote:
No codes. Do I need the speed sensor connected at all really?

I have heard mixed things on this....
I have a swapped 2jzge vvti.....and my vss is not connected and i have no issues other than a 5500 rev limit in neutral....when driving i have normal rev limit

Weird thats it not connected and u have no codes though.....
Mine throws the vss code cause its not connected

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:57 pm 

why did you swap to power rack steering? are there issues with the box steering? i plan to use my box setup for drifting in my MX62, hopefully.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:21 pm 

spongebob wrote:
why did you swap to power rack steering? are there issues with the box steering? i plan to use my box setup for drifting in my MX62, hopefully.

You can use the powerbox....but its alittle like asking why do you run in sneakers
Not dress shoes...
The feel and performance of rack steering is much better...more precise...betterfeel...everything

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 pm 

Stevester wrote:
Why do you have that "accordion" junction on just one down pipe only?

We kept one original and added a normal flexible pipe on the other one. Not sure why. Just happened :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:19 pm 

spongebob wrote:

For better feel and geometry when adding lots of lock (61° and counting). We have done quite a few mods to the front suspension, such as a custom crossmember that have the inner control arm points higher and further forward. It's way better now than stock :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 10   [ 184 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next