#
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:36 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 1980 RX30 Cressida 1UZ
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:30 am 

spongebob wrote:
A performance oriented Corona sedan was introduced in 1970, called the Toyota Carina, and available at a different dealership sales channel called Toyota Store.

In North America, the Corona was replaced for the 1983 model year by the similarly sized but front wheel drive Camry sedan and five-door hatchback. Since then, the Camry has grown a size larger than the Corona and its sportier Carina sister car.

The 1970 and 1981 Carina models were sold in most of Europe, but in 1984 they were replaced with the "Carina II" — which was really the 1983 model Corona as sold in Japan with alterations to the headlights, grille and trim.

- i copied this from wikipedia, it may be wrong but im not too sure. sorry i read this and just thought if the chassis codes are similar to a US model the rearend may be on a USDM corona

i'm sure your right and i'm wrong. i'm sorry for posting without knowing full well what i'm talking about. i hope i can learn from this forum as i'm mostly experienced with nissan S-chassis

Yes i am right n youare wrong. The internet (including wiki) is filled with misinformation...

Sorry for the hijack....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:51 am 

OK guys, Corona/Carina topic here - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19367

Let's keep it friendly and informative and not hijack NathanRX30's thread.
I am genuinely interested so lets get some discussion going on this and then fix (if necessary) the Wiki entries.

NathanRX30, sorry for the intrusion on your build thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:41 am 

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: absolutely gorgeous man! ive been grinning ear to ear reading this. 1million% jealous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:50 pm 

all of the cressida's here in america have the M-series six cylinder, however im not sure if the MX32 is mid-sump here as well. thanks for the detailed description of the fitment :tu:

ok so please don't shoot me in the face, but wiki sais the MA46 celica supra in the US has the F series rearend. who's to say its correct? i have heard of people swaping the "celica supra" rearend into thier X-chassis though, is this the 'F' series rearend you speak of? :|

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:28 pm 

This Celica Chassis number rings a bell but cant be 100% sure. When I brought the rear end it was headed up "carina/corona/celica rear end". This guy knows his stuff and him quoting that chassis for Celica sounds like something when I was researching.

Unfortunately I wont know how well it all bolts up until a few months. Im planning on locking my E series diff and leaving the W50 in place and going to a track day in September. If/when it breaks I'll have a few months to change the rear end for the f series and stronger axels(will need to use crown or Toyota Previa axels cut down) and add a W55 or 58. As the November track day has a mini drift comp I'll need a stronger gearbox for sure. Will see how it goes.

Heres a small addition to my build a few months back..

As the coilovers are for MX83 the front were to long. On max low setting it still wasnt low enough for what I wanted. Doing some research I found that R32 skyline front inserts were 60mm shorter and had the same thread. Proceeded to get some and fit them. They sat a lot better and I went for a drive.FAIL.

The R32 front shocks only control up and down where the rest of the arms handle the sideways forces. Hence my car was asking the R32 struts to handle everything and they didnt like it. I got to my destination non the wiser which was crazy I didnt feel anything in the steering. Arrived with massive front camber, looked underneath to see this...

This is the R32 insert vz the thickness of the MX83..

So dont use different inserts from a different suspension set up.

The first coilover weld to the front suspension was as per their instructions. 10mm or so from the cast base, inserted about 50mm into the base of the coilover and plug welded....

But as this wasnt low enough on max setting we started again and managed to get another 80mm out of the base. This involved routing the base into the cast and cutting of any excess length from the base of the coilover tube...

Apparently S13 top hats are the same as X3 but the holes just need to be drilled larger. I used the MX83 top hats and just re drilled my strut towers...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:23 pm 

Kudos to you, gave up on mine and sold it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:52 pm 

Oh well. You would have loved it :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:08 pm 

still thinking on how best to do mine. ford rear end is out, unless i could find some way to run 5 lug fronts. too complicated for my purposes. mkI supra or some form of transplanted IRS looks like the right way to go.

car's looking really nice man.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2