#
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Toyota W58 Gearbox Gear Stick Variations?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 pm 

I've got a W58 Supra gearbox in my RX-4, and would like the gear knob to be slightly further back than it currently is. I know Dellow sell different shifter bases which move the whole shifter base forward or back, but the one in the car suits the hole in the tunnel so I don't want to go messing with all that.

I have seen pics of a "swan neck" gear stick, examples below, but it's not completely clear what these are out of, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with the "W" series box's and what gear sticks go with them.

Stated as being "W58 92 swan neck (red paint) and r154 swan neck shifter". Great but 1992 What, Supra, Soarer, what would I ask for???
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/218163_1715472841832_1088520138_31599024_1025951_n.jpg

This was a link pic to an R154 shifter, which I believe is the top one, again the swan neck version below, but again, from what?
http://www.boost.org.nz/Media/My%20Cars/Soarer/Documentation/Tech%20&%20Diag/R154%20Shifter.JPG

Another pic of what was referred to in the same SC300/SC400 for sale section as a TX r154/w58 swan neck shifter
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab43/sc300bigtx/shifter.jpg

So the only real clues I've found is some one asking for the following: "Anyone have a stock W58 SC swan neck shifter they want to part with?" and someone selling a seemingly identical "TX r154/w58 swan neck shifter". Does this mean it's an SC300 or SC400 shifter, and is the "W58" in these the same as the typical steel plate W58's we've been putting in our Mazda's for decades? Also with the mention of the R154, does this mean the R154 and W58 shifter are interchangeable?

If anyone has one of the "swan neck" gear sticks I'd be keen to grab one if they do interchange just to see where the gear knob ends up in relation to the std stick. Ideally I'd like to run a short shift, not to have some homo 3" long gear stick, but because I want to run a quite long gear stick to get it up level with the centre of the steering wheel, so will need to reduce the throw a bit over a std unit. If anyone knows of a good quality short shift to suit that would be appreciated as well.

Post subject: Re: Toyota W58 Gearbox Gear Stick Variations?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:42 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Not swan neck, but I have swapped R154 and W58 shifters. My R154 came out of a 7MGTE supra, so I can tell you that the MkIII Supra does not have the swan neck. I would guess that you are looking for either an SC300 or Soarer R154 shifter. Might want to check the japanese auctions or maybe someplace like driftmotion.com Driftmotion sells a lot of conversion parts for guys doing JZ series swaps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:55 am 

how about a shifter out of a w56? i've never tried it nor done research but i know its further back due to the transfer case shifter being directly in front of it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:47 am 

Thanks for the replies.

Yep I did the whole heat and bend thing to get the gear knob where we wanted when we put a Supra 'box in my mums 12A powered 808 about twenty years ago. This time I was keen to leave the original shifter as is, and try a couple of variants, just in case changing it doesn't give the expected result.

Also I'd ideally like it a little longer, and I've seen that you can get extensions to lengthen the gear stick so that's a no brainer. Basically once I've got a position right, I'll then look to see if using some kind of short shift conversion is necessary. Unlike some people I actually don't mind a bit of a long throw, it makes the shift action very light and easy and I've never found it shows down shifting speed.

So yeah, really appreciate the advice but I'm keen to find one of these goose neck jobbies if possible.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]