#
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:12 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: RIP Martin Swig
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:16 pm 

One of the few global automotive ambassadors, and a fan vintage J-Tin, passed away July 3. I only had the pleasure of meeting him once to discuss Japanese car collecting. I nearly ended up buying a Subaru SVX he had in his extensive collection of cars.

He will be sorely missed by many.

Post subject: Re: RIP Martin Swig
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 am 

Rest in peace, this is very sad news. I wish the best for his family / son David. This year was the first time I did the anti-football drive, and I wish that I had gotten the chance to speak with him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:36 am 
JNC Enthusiast

This is horrible news. I met Martin Swig while accompanying a friend who was interviewing him for a magazine. I debated about going that day but in the end Im very glad I did. The impact Martin Swig had on not just the automotive world but Japanese automobiles was huge. He’s a great person and very sad to hear this news. My condolences go out to this family & friends.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:51 pm 

During my college years in the early eighties, I coincidently ran into an ad for a part-time job at his new “Automobilia” store at the San Francisco Autocenter. I wasn’t looking for a job, but ran over there as fast as I could and passed the verbal automotive knowledge test given to me by his good friend Mr. Heigho. It was a dream job as I could talk cars all day, study when it was slow, and watch the stream of new cars go by in addition to watching vintage cars come to life after only knowing their existence from a book. The key position of the store in the front allowed me to eavesdrop on many a business conversation he had, from courting dignitaries/customers to dealing with difficult labor discussions. Mr. Swig, adorned in his signature blue blazer and khaki’s, was always firm and polite.

His passion for Alfa Romeo’s rubbed off, and my Garage today is adorned with his influence. I could think of nothing cooler than watching (and hearing!) him return to work after a business lunch driving his Alfa Romeo 1900 SS Zagato.

His respect for Japanese cars was clearly evident beyond simply being a successful business. I remember asking then about why he did not have an Alfa Romeo dealership, and it was related to how the Alfa execs would not even consider driving the amazing second generation Supra. How I wanted that Supra! He was one of the only ones that did not make fun of my immaculate final U.S. year Toyota Crown (Kujira) Wagon. His dealership was adorned with both an early Toyopet Crown and an Isuzu Bellel at a time when most would comment negatively about them.

We will all certainly miss you!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]