#
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:46 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 15 of 17   [ 322 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1978 323 wagon
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:14 am 

Toyohead wrote:
Time for new cilinders then, a rebuild is not enough with new rings when bore is scored. Good luck :)

I've got two new cylinders on order. May as well do both sides before the other side wears out!
myold323 wrote:
How did you go with your car Tim did you get your brakes cylinders done? That cruise on Saturday, what a waste of time I was the only 1 to turn up at menai Maccers :td: :roll: Hazelbrook is just around the feckin corner from Menai NOT :? Round trip 200Klms .Got my super deluxe dash in on Saturday but the clock doesn't work, "bugger". you should come up to Harries on the last Saturday of the month getting more Mazdas out there now :D
Cheers Greg

My parts didn't turn up on time. I would have come up for a drive if they were fixed though! Hopefully the next one is better attended..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:39 am 

The second pair of wheels finished getting rolled straight so I got some tyres today
The wheel cylinders came in. Apparently there were none left and they made some more, so these still had fresh paint on them
I've put in both cylinders but the shoes haven't come in yet. There were no shoes at the manufacturer or any of the suppliers so they've made a fresh batch... They might be here tomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:57 pm 

The cruise is on this sunday Tim are you going ? If you don't get your new brake shoes just clean up the old 1's and chuck'm back in :wink: they didn't look that bad anyway.I'm not sure if i'm going or not :? If you get your car running I will prob come :lol: just to make sure your looking after my blinker lences :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:49 am 

If it was Saturday I would have come but I've got to work Sunday afternoon. Brake shoes turned up this afternoon so I can pick them up in the morning and hopefully have it back together and bled so I can finally drive it!

I don't like to mess with brakes, I'd rather know that I did them properly :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:25 am 

Ok so new shoes turned up Friday and I picked them up this morning.
New cylinder first
Then on go the shoes held on with the anti rattle clips
My favorite part...the springs
The secret is to hold the shoes as tight together as possible, I used a tie down strap and squeezed the cylinder in. It brings the spring much closer and it's so easy to get the spring on
Bottom one is a breeze
Then the drums go on and bleed the air out. These one person bleeders work well
Wheels!
The battery needed a little jump and we were back in business.
Finally got the four gold rims sorted
I don't seem to mind the height so much on these rims - maybe because they fill the guards a bit nicer
Had quite a large grin for the rest of the afternoon zooming around :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:57 pm 
Mild Cam

I'm a bit surprised...those gold rims really suit the color of the car! You should be proud. :tu:

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:17 am 

I was dubious also about the gold on yellow combo.

But sometimes things just go on like they were made for it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:59 pm 

It does look great Timmy, I have been watching your thread for a while now and it looks like you're really enjoying the car. Good on you mate.

I reckon the gold wheels look great too. I love (well, some) gold on silver wheels but I have been reluctant to put some on my car which is yolk yellow. I don't reckon it could pull it off like yours haha. Oh well. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:55 am 

Those rims look awesome on your wagz :D

I love checking the progress of this little bus!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:46 am 

rx7_ben wrote:
It does look great Timmy, I have been watching your thread for a while now and it looks like you're really enjoying the car. Good on you mate.

I reckon the gold wheels look great too. I love (well, some) gold on silver wheels but I have been reluctant to put some on my car which is yolk yellow. I don't reckon it could pull it off like yours haha. Oh well. Keep up the good work.

It hasn't seen the road too much recently unfortunately. Work lent me a Hilux for a few weeks as its running behind on km for the lease. It is interesting how much better a 1978 Mazda drives than a 2012 Toyota Hilux!

I couldn't be happier with the wheels. I still need to touch up some paint on the rear pair and shine up the tyres.
jdmrx2 wrote:
Those rims look awesome on your wagz :D

I love checking the progress of this little bus!

Thanks! It's not in the same league as your RX2 build but it's a good taste for the next car I get...

In other news I may have found a place that will sell me the right size u-bolts so I can finally lower the back! The odometer has also hit 99000 today, so only 1000 more till we make it round the clock back to 0!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:30 am 

I haven't been driving the wagon much for the last few weeks due to having the work ute. The few times I have driven it recently the car has been really hard to start (which I thought must have been due to the colder mornings we've had recently), down on power when going up hills and at low revs and seems to be sucking down the petrol. It also needed lots of revs to get going. It was about time for a new batch of oil so I though I'd give it a bit of a tune to try and sort the problem. I was suspecting the distributor..

Valves were fine. I took out the spark plugs and checked the gaps. One was fine, but the other three had closed up, one of them was under 0.45mm and they needed to be 0.8mm. They were all fine when I put them in last time so it was a bit strange? I checked the points too and they had closed right up as well so I gapped them properly too (installing the electronic distributor has now jumped up the "to do" list). Chucked all the bits back together and she started up first crank. I went for a drive around to warm it up and see if it was any better. It was a huge improvement, much more go at low revs and less throttle on the highway.

Came back and checked the timing warm. It was advanced about 20 degrees instead of 8 so I adjusted it back. The pickup is now much much better and the throttle is a lot more linear. I celebrated by driving my favorite country roads home :D

Magics back!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:28 am 

Update time again!
So I found a different brand of blocks on eBay and made sure they were the right sized bolts (on the right). These are much better quality than the first brand, the blocks look like they have actually been cleaned up after casting and had all the seams smoothed.
A before shot of the rear suspension
I started on the right side yesterday afternoon. The new bolts were slightly bigger in diameter so I had to make the holes bigger on the saddle plate. The new bolts were 11.5mm in diameter and I only had a 10mm or 14mm drill bit. I thought the 14mm seemed like too big a hole. So I wasted an hour or so with a round file trying to get them to fit. I had to shorten the bolts too, as they are universal length. Managed to blunten the hacksaw cutting the bolts and they ended up still being too long. Jammed it all back together on the right side and gave up after a couple of hours.

I had a think about it afterwards and realized that I needed the holes much bigger than the bolts anyway so that they would wiggle into place so I had a go at it this afternoon with the 14mm drill. I then decided that an angle grinder was a better solution than using a hacksaw with a blunt blade, so I had the right side fixed up in no time. The left side was then really easy as I'd ironed out all the kinks!

Unbolt old bolts, lift up diff, insert blocks
And bolt up with new bolts. It will be that easy if I ever need to change them in the future!
Before
After
And compared to the front
I've got to tighten the bolts now it's on the ground and then take it for a drive and tighten them again. Proper photos to come! :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:35 pm 

Made it to a cruise today with ausrotary.com
Car went well too. Best fuel economy yet at 7.2L/100km!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:53 am 

Great pics Timmy, car is looking sweet!! The shot on th elawn fron the front angle is awesome 8)

Where do you keep finding all these 13 inch rims in 4x110?????

Those gold ones look brilliant....reckon they would look killer on my new 7!! Ha ha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:23 am 

I don't seem to find them, they seem to find me!

The black set of rims are 14x6 and I bought them when I was supposed to be buying some different wheels.

The gold set are 15x6 and I bought them when looking at for sale ads for cars and they were listed as extras..

I think they'd look great on a S2. I keep hunting for sale sections in the hope of finding a non turbo 12A to move onto...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:19 am 

Odometer went over the clock just now!

All goals set out for this car have now been accomplished..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:56 pm 
Mild Cam

timmy201 wrote:
Odometer went over the clock just now!

All goals set out for this car have now been accomplished..

So the plan is to drive it, enjoy it, and keep finding cool new wheels for it, yes? :D
(...or ship it across the pond to your very best buddy Cam...)

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:11 pm 

Camshaft wrote:
So the plan is to drive it, enjoy it, and keep finding cool new wheels for it, yes? :D
(...or ship it across the pond to your very best buddy Cam...)

Well.. I made a decision when I rebuilt the engine, if it made it back to zero, I'd put it up for sale.

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthr ... 5-Door-RWD

It would probably cost you more in shipping than the cost of the car though..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:32 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Nice work, did you get the new lowering blocks from Dellow ?

I've thought about getting a set but think I may get away with how it is, the eyes have been reversed on my springs and beefed up by one of the previous owners. Never knew about that site, somewhere new to hang out.

So if this goes what's next ? There was a nice 67 Nissan Silvia (CSP311) only the other week that had me really tempted. Looked to be in nice shape, apparently they were hand built, went for a bargain as well. If only I had the room it would have been mine :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:42 pm 

gypsy wrote:
Nice work, did you get the new lowering blocks from Dellow ?

I've thought about getting a set but think I may get away with how it is, the eyes have been reversed on my springs and beefed up by one of the previous owners. Never knew about that site, somewhere new to hang out.

So if this goes what's next ? There was a nice 67 Nissan Silvia (CSP311) only the other week that had me really tempted. Looked to be in nice shape, apparently they were hand built, went for a bargain as well. If only I had the room it would have been mine :(

Yep I got the new ones from Dellow. They have an eBay shop now. Apparently mine are the RX4 style ones, as they swapped to a larger diameter u-bolt after the RX3/808.

JDMST is good. Alot of the Aussie guys on here are also on there. I went to a meet with them and there were 4 Hakosuka Skylines and a 10A Cosmo..

Next? Not sure yet. I'm getting married next year so some extra money and time out of the shed would be good. My grandpa has a 1963 Morris Mini which he is looking at moving on soon. Or the other option is a pre 50's International truck...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 15 of 17   [ 322 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next