#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: My 78 Accord CVCC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:41 am 

picked this up not too long ago i been doing little things to clean the body up not exactly sure what i want to do with it yet

heres the car its got 77k original miles i was told the engine had a rebuild and by the way it runs thats true not to mention i pulled the valve cover off and the inside of the engine is CLEAN its also got a new clutch the carb needs a rebuild im probably gonna get a weber and eliminate a bunch of these wires under the hood also found a header on ebay i want.....gonna run a 2 1/4 exhaust with a glasspack also looking for the old Mugen valve cover (good luck right?)

i like the stock rims i sanded em down and painted em black im looking for the chrome trim rings i want to lower the car does anyone make a coil over kit? im leaving the stock breaks for now

body wise it needs a passenger side fender mine looks like it was hit everything else is perfect...NO ROT! im gonna be removing some of the trim on the side and filling the holes also ditching the factory mirror.....this car needs fender mirrors haha eventualy it will be repainted the stock color if not im gonna paint it the same color as my old mustang

color is called sunburst orange

interior is PERFECT im not touching it other than a white 5 speed hurst shifter handle

and in the future i want old recaros like the ones that come factory in 79-81 mustang cobras

but thats all i have now i might just use this thread as a build thread

Post subject: Re: My 78 Accord CVCC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:18 am 

this Honda is super clean, I am jealous! I love the old CVCCs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:46 am 

Wow that does look impressive!
I just bought the Ebbro 1/43 scale Accord in that colour!

Dealer accessory floor mats, radio/cassette player (normal aftermarket too big to fit properly) and wheelarch trims even, I've never seen those properly before. Pretty special even if I have never liked the extra protective side chrome.. Unfortunate they drilled holes to fit them.
Unusual steering wheel. Looks like it belongs on a Datsun!
Good seat upholstery and uncracked dashpads are pretty rare even if mileage claims can be difficult to confirm with 5-digit odometer.
Original wheel trim-rings were used by Honda well into the '80s so can be found with patience and do have a nicer profile than most aftermarket ones, (must get around to airbrushing my '77s wheels a darker grey).

Make sure you get a '76-'78 fender, '79-'81 will fit but have a differently shaped wheelarch, yet even Honda fitted them sometimes as a "goodwill" gesture if the originals rusted out prematurely (some within 3 years!), so you might keep an eye out for the plastic wheelarch liners fitted to later models if it doesn't have them already.

Weber should provide a bit more power given the 80hp of the non-CVCC 1600 Accords, even without their less restrictive cylinder heads.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:31 am 

Congrats on buying the car. I would've bought it over a year ago if I had the space.
The guy you bought it from has worked on Hondas for a very long time and indeed
rebuilt the motor. I'm glad to see you took care of the front fenders. Where in NJ are you? :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:33 am 
Nice to see another Accord getting some love. The weber and header will help the power a bit, but you may be going overkill on the exhaust. 1 3/4" would be plenty large for a motor of that hp, 2" max. Don't believe Mugen made CVCC stuff. I have only seen EB stuff. Coilovers would be custom.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:49 am 

bob78cvcc wrote:
Congrats on buying the car. I would've bought it over a year ago if I had the space.
The guy you bought it from has worked on Hondas for a very long time and indeed
rebuilt the motor. I'm glad to see you took care of the front fenders. Where in NJ are you? :)

im in Ewing i bought the car at suburban wrench in pennington....this car must have sat there for about 4 years before i bought it.....and yea the fenders were bad lol

im trying to figure out if this is the original steering wheel or not and i love the factory floor mats im going to try and re glue the drivers side one i might throw bs ones in the car and put these in at car shows like honda day

this is the car as of last night like i said i want after market wheels but for now im gonna run these with chrome trim rings i also need a hood latch cable right now there is no hood latch on the car.....i need to find the chrome trim that goes around the wheel arch on the passenger side it was all torn up along with the fender but i figure the car will look great lowered a tiny bit

and im pretty sure this IS the origonal milage there is a sticker in the door from STS for an oil change and it said 11,xxx miles and that was in 91'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:14 pm 

Wow, love it! Keep up the great work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:56 am 

Love that interior! Car's looking good bro! :) :tu:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:49 pm 

Thanks Guys!

im looking into possibly swaping it in the future im looking into an engine out of an 85 Prelude....the one with the dual carbs.....how much modification will i have to do to get it to work?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:59 pm 
For the amount of work in relating to the reward on the dual carb prelude motor, you would probably be better off going with a D series swap. Probably equal amount of work for the D series, but a much better supported engine. Oh, and that vacuum hose mess! :shock:

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:42 pm 

what will i do about axels? im assuming the motor mounts will have to be custom as well

i just found these off my old 82 GT mustang they will be going on the accord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:15 pm 
Yes, custom axles and mounts, but they would probably be needed for the A engine also. I see you are also on the 1st gen civic site. May want to hit up Justin or Lay, as they have done a few swaps into civics and can probably give you some insight.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:46 am 

D-series mounts would be completely custom, though on one side the (SOHC D-series) g-box driveshaft spline is the same & the 1g civic guys change the other inboard end.
2g Preludes & 2&3g Accords still shared the same engine mounting concepts as the 1g.
All of these engines have their exhausts exiting towards the front of the car which is difficult to accomodate past the Accords front crossmember, especially with the Accord engine mount upon it (relocated to side of car on end of transaxle for D-series).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:24 am 

well.... got my fogs on while i was doin that i decided to respray the grill took the cvcc bade off to repaint it...i kinda like it without it lol

shot the valve cover satin black (dont like it gonna respray it crinkle finish i decided im gonna go all out and detail the engine bay and paint it black did the top piece of the rad support and redid alot of the parts that had surface rust....taped off all he stickers under the hood i kinda like all that crap lol i also sanded down the fan shroud and re painted it and cleaned up the fan blades but im gonna get a bottle of purple power and degrease everything and start doing the bay black heres where i am now haha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:25 am 

also ALOT of my buddys said the same thing it NEEDS fender mirrors anyone know where i can pick em up?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:17 pm 

Not the correct fender mirrors for the car i puled these off a 67 Chevelle in a junkyard they cleaned up super nice....i love the look on my car

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:15 pm 

had a buddy do a quick photoshop for me waddy guys think? yay or nay? its ovbiously gonna have to require a 4x100 swap

also detailed the balls out of my engine bay......gonna respray the valve cover metallic orange

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:13 am 

I do like the look of that, the larger diameter improves the wheel design.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:51 am 

little updates

giving up on finding a fender for now so to try and hid the fact that my fender is trashed,......

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]