#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:55 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 32   [ 621 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1973 Mazda Rx3
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:37 am 

Any progress is good progress, no matter how small! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:39 pm 

I was back for the weekend so managed to squeeze in a few hours. Some more photos....

While working more on the harnesses and tracing various things I thought I'd show a difference between early model and late model cars. The late model engine bay/ firewall harness is larger and will not mount to early cars. My guess is the extra connectors are for Anti Pollution cars. So if you see the larger style harness in an early model car you'd want to do some thorough investigating ! Pic 2, bad photo, there is a white wire with a black trace coming from the back of the taco (one of three). This wire has a male bullet connector. There are no other connectors aside from the big round one. Does the W/B wire connect to the black only female bullet connect behind the dash ? The female bullet plug is right next to other big round one that connects on the back of the cluster running off the main harness.

There are no other W/B wires within the car and definately none that pass from the cabin (LHS and RHD) into the engine bay. Doing a quick trace of the circuit board at the back of the cluster it looks to possible an earth. Also there is no W/B wire on the ignition harness.
Image Image

Pic 1 shows what people do to fit the larger 323 4 bolt booster into an Rx3. Pic 2, Im using a pedal box that is in better condition out of an 808 auto. They look identical to Rx3, the pedals are currently getting blasted and powder coated. I'll swap the pedals over when I get them back.
Image Image

Another shot of pedal box... rx3 and 808 auto. Pic 2, tapin little brackets to parts helps alot with assembly. Pic 3, mounted.
Image Image Image

Getting ready to mount the new backboards to the door trim. Pic 2 and 3, removing old pitman arm
Image Image

Pitman off, with a wack of a hammer and the help of the puller. Pic 2, cleaning up years of dirt with degreaser.
Image Image

Getting the steering box ready for fitment. Covering all holes so oil doesnt leak everywhere and onto carpet. Pic 2, black engine bay bits are sprayed in a semi gloss 2pack finish. To get the effect Single Stage solid black is mixed 1:1 with a matting agent. That mix is then mixed 2:1 with a hardener an a little paint reducer. Each company is different so check the data sheets.
Image Image

One part down, finshed in 2 pack semi gloss.... Pic 2, Steering box fited permanently.
Image Image

3 bolt Rx3 booster getting ready for paint and new decal. I have a new Mazda brake master and tank to be fitted afterwards. Pic 2 old master is removed and threads measured for cleaning.
Image Image

Threads cleaned and tapped.
Image Image

DA'd the master for fresh paint. Inital approach was since it looked in good condition to repaint and fit and if I found it didnt work then recondition. Pic 2, I pressed the rear lever to take a look at the pivot, definately needs to come apart otherwise the scaley pivot will tear the rubber seal. So much for plan A !
Image Image

A photo of the back of the old brake master cylinder.... will be kept as a spare. Pic 2, new clutch bits to go in as well.
Image Image

Another photo of steering box in place. Won't be long before shrouds and wheel are in place. My home made trimming attempts look OK ! Still trying to stick to the 13K no more to pay drive away resto price :) Pic 2, I have a couple of indicator stalks that came with the car. I'll make one good one from the 2 as they are both not working. I'll repair the one with missing wiring seems the easier approach.
Image Image

I've started sorting rear diff housing and brakes. Also I'll be reflective chroming the rotary engine console badge as Im not happy with the silver finish. I'll be starting on seat belts shortly as well so the interior can be finished off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:31 pm 

i really love this build.

it has come a long way in the last 4 years.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:22 am 

Yes its has been a few years, hopely it'll all be done later this year.

Uploading the last of the photos for now.

I had to make a little bracket to attach the ashtray holder to the base of the fan controls as the mount spot is in a different area to the original fan control unit. The original is offset, the Savanna unit is not. Pic 2, I think the center dash unit has been pulled apart and checked for the last time.

Couple more photos... all coming together. Cabin wiring should all be OK now. Waiting on some Mazda terminals to complete the engine looms, 1hr work max as most is already done. Not entirely happy with the rotary engine console badge so redoing it in a reflective chrome, aside from that its :tu: Steering wheel is same as an SP, late model 808 coupe or Savanna. I think they have a nicer feel than the fake wood plastic ones. Passenger door trim isnt finished yet incase you were wondering.

Mounting the door trim vinyl to the new back boards. I used Oxy/TiG wire to make my own staples.

New boards are now mounted. I want to repad the upper area of the trims (the area above the chrome trim) before I glue around the edges.... future update on that one.

The dash restorers did a great job years ago and I was lucky that most of the chrome work was pretty good. The chrome work on the Rotary Engine badge had rubbed off years ago and no one in Australia will plastic chrome just the high lighted bits (like factory) so I thought I'd give it a go on a spare badge I have. Local businesses will typically plastic chrome the whole part then black (paint) out the bits that shouldn't be chromed which is ok but I think would chip over time.

I have a heap of stuff to restore if it works out... front and back RE10 badges, Super Deluxe badges and quite a few other things. This is the start of it, clean up a part so its spotless then spray a conductive copper coat that is then tinned to increase conductivity further.

After the above I'll lay down copper wire and plate several layers of copper rubbing back with 1500/2000 wet between copper layers. Once its all done the copper is buffed to a shine then chromed like original (I hope !).

I pretty much have everything except would you believe Battery Acid. 15 - 20 years ago you used to be able to buy it from any service station when they were really service stations and not super markets. They actually used to give cars a quick going over as you filled the tank. Remember that !

I've tried 5 or 6 places in Melbourne and no luck. If you know of anywhere that will sell it please PM me. Battery acid is diluted Sulphuric Acid which in its pure form is pretty nasty stuff, not even Battery World would sell it ! Im after either 1.5L of battery acid or 500ml in undilited form, preferance is to buy it already diluted as its not the sort of stuff I want to keep around the place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:40 am 

Hey Gypsy,
Give these guys or similar, a crack. They definitely should be able to help you out! :D

Used to buy laboratory chemicals from them, when I was working in a Quality Assurance Lab
up in Ballarat. :tu:

http://www.westlab.com.au/search.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:18 am 

I’ll continue with the Rotary Engine badge at a later date. For now the dash is complete although Im waiting on a couple of brackets to come back so the hand brake console can be permanently mounted.

In the mean time I’ve been working around the exterior getting the remaining bits and pieces ready for fixture.

Pic 1, the mirror stalk was sent away to be chromed and I polished up the mirror housing so it can all go together. Pic 2 the other parts that go together on the door mirror. Bottom right is the dreaded high tension spring. I custom made a jig to assemble the parts. I’m keeping this one too myself so no one hurts themselves.
Image Image

I realised after it was too late that I hadn’t correctly seated the stalk in the tool causing two 3 – 4cm creases either side of the mirror housing stalk. I would have taken more photos however I was convinced that the mirror housing was destined for the bin so never bothered! This is the tail end of the repair. Too my surprise I repaired it as seen in Pic 2 although it took approx 2 hrs to repair the damage.
Image Image

Pic 1, the reflector and indicator housing came up pretty good with a buff. Pic 2, tapping the door mirror mount threads.
Image Image

Door mirror mounted and the locking pin in place that holds the high tension spring.
Image Image

Door is pretty much together, just needs the door trim to complete. Pic 2, had to enlarge the 808 interior backing board to accept the Rx3 brake booster. Aside from the hole size Im pretty sure the interior back boards are the same.
Image Image

Just showing the part that wont pass through the 808 backing board without enlarging. Pic 2, general shot.
Image Image

Another general photo, looking like a car again after almost 20 years. It wouldn’t a real rotary without having a 48 IDA Weber. The Weber will help get the most out of the bridge port engine which just like the car hasn’t been used since the 80’s. I’ve also got some Racing Beat goodies to go on 
Image Image

A few people here have given me ideas, the car is primarily a road car however I wouldn’t mind having a bit of fun at the odd track day. I’m looking at upgrading the suspension setup, and maybe some decent brakes. I have a second set of wheels that will be used for track days.

Everything is moving at a snails pace but moving none the less.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:36 am 

:mrgreen: so sick, great progress yet again! :tu: to the wheels and brakes etc!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:30 am 

looking good gypsy, car has come along way over the last few months, love the sticker along the bottom of door, its one thing i didnt have time todo b4 putting my car in storage :( we basicly have twin cars, even more so if mine was still na! i like your choice of wheels for the track, cant wait to hear this fire up! and once ive finished my travels we will have to go for a cruise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:24 am 

Thanks Benn, your car is looking pretty good as well.

Car should be ready for cruising beginning of summer. I find all the small bits are really slowing me down. I assembled a Few more things and started on the front door trims again. Need to send off brake booster sometime soon.

It's looking really good :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:11 pm 

You have to be happy with that Dave.

The part isn't finished yet, I'm experimenting with some spares I have. The goal is to only chrome the type face. What you see so far is the copper strike coat. What I've done to date is masked up and sprayed a conductive copper solution.

From there I'll clean the part and run copper wire above and below the raised type face then bridge the copper wire to the raised type face using the same copper solution. The copper strike coat is then tinned, dried off and then tested for conductivity.

After that it'll go in a copper tank and layers of copper are built up, sanded and polished. Then it'll go in a chroming tank. Once chromed I'll run a razor to carefully break away the copper wire from the type face and hopefully that should leave a chrome only type face.

That's the jist of it, I have it all worked out in my head just need to put it into practice. I have a heap of stuff to do like badges, Savanna handbrake surround (which is normally sprayed silver), the twin chrome rings around a Savanna gearstick panel, radio face plates, Aus Spec gauge cluster etc etc. I can only do small parts at the moment, if I get it right I'll setup a larger tank. Between my stuff and some mates there's a bit of stuff too do, keeps the cost down though.

As you know yourself its very time consuming repairing parts first to get a nice finish and before you know it hours can go by. There's certainly no way I could do this thing economically. I just like stuffing around with things in my spare time instead of watching the TV everynight although that Bingle show is A++ viewing.

There's been a delay getting the acid which is used to make the electrolyte solution. I should have it this week sometime, and if I get time I'll give my theories a go and put up some pics when I get it right. It all seems simple enough...in theory !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:03 am 

RestoreMaz wrote:
John what did you do with that rotary engine dash badge?

I recently did this one for a guy in NZ. copper coated it, then chrome, then black. it looks great. the whole thing is suposed to be black, but he asked me to leave the border chrome.

My console badge is a metal repoduction but painted in the same configuration as above (thanks to Dave) :D
I like the badge in general black chrome whatever its just a cool badge. But if I had a plastic original I probably still would want it with chrome lettering and the recessed line around the edge chrome to make it like a border kinda like the console chrome trims. Not the whole outer edge as above.

Your progress is moving in leaps and bounds now, it surely cant be too long before your sights are set on some turn key action? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:46 am 

Turn key is still a little while away but hopefully before the end of the year. I've been pretty busy with work plus looking at houses at the moment and looking to possibly build to move into in a couple of years or so. More importantly I managed to squeeze some Mazda time into the week. I've started on some mechanical work to get the car road worthy starting with the diff.

I ended up fitting new tail light lenses that were purchased from Street Lense, Sydney many years ago. He still does them for anyone that wants a set. Pic 2, gluing down the lifted edges on the left kick panel.

The old lenses come out pretty easy, the recesses are cleaned up and the new ones are then glued in using silicon glue in a chalking gun. Kick panel edges are done then I use Eucalyptus oil to remove old tape adhesive that was used to hold the original screws in place.

Kick panel ready to go on. Pic 2, making my own tail light gaskets from 6mm sponge rubber.

Gasket is marked out by using masking tape over the top. Pic 2, reflector, badge and one tail light installed.

Rear shot, the other tail light will be fitted shortly. Pic 2, interior almost done, dash is complete waiting for power too test everything out.

Passenger seat and scuttle panel will go in shortly. The car needs a good clean, various fasteners spread across floor related to brake, clutch pedals and various other things. I know where everything is which is the main thing :) Once the seat belts are done I'll give it a good clean. Pic 2, attaching the door trims to the new back boards. Guy in Sydney did a great job making them. The trims are only glued around the pressings so thats the only place where I placed the glue.

The trim is then flipped over and I place a couple of heavy tiles overnight to make sure the vinyl bonds nice and flat with no wrinkles. I'll be padding out the upper section with new foam and pulling it taught. The passenger side is 5 shades too light so it'll be given to a trimmer to dye the fabric back to the original colour. Its a chemical bond process and not simply vinyl paint over the top. Aside from that the vinyl is still nice and soft.

The axles were stuck in the diff so reversed a drum and used it as a slide hammer. They eventually came out after 5minutes of bashing.

Diff splines were nice and straight, all the diff housing bits and pieces will be painted to freshen them up. Pic 2 is the replacement diff housing that I bought as a complete unit, not sure whether to use the 808 one or the Rx3 one. From what I can tell they are pretty much the same except the hydraulic line is mounted in a different spot on the genuine one that is still in the car.

You can see the original diff housing has the splitter hydraulic hose top side near the diff. If I use the genuine one I need to have new lines made up as they are missing + I need the splitter that connects the left and right side to the front of the car (master cylinder). Pic 2, other tail light is now permanently in as is the key lock.

Original head rests that were sewn to replacement vinyl that the trimmer matched. Pic 2, rather than continue with the 10a door trims I decided to fit the 12a ones which are the same except they don't have carpet. Once the car is running and I have more time I'll fit the other ones. Doing it this way will speed things up a little. I have the correct parts which is the hard bit for these cars ! Its got a newish 70's feel which I really like :)

Preparing the seat belts for chroming then I'll send them away. After a bit of looking around I discovered that the front and back belts were originally different. The twin hole ones are for the rear and the single hole for the front (non retractable). I've removed the chrome so my mate can blast them before copper plating. If you have ever wondered why Mazda seat belts rust its because I believe they chromed directly onto the steel. I saw no trace of copper when stripping them. If you didnt know copper is like an etch coat, nickle is the water proof barrier and the chrome is shiny non dulling finish. Chrome is porous by the way which will cause the steel to rust if there is no nickel especially if its an exterior part. That's how I think it works !

A platers magnificent work, did a good job of the cast alloy mirror stems then did this. They are pretty much useless as I can't remove the chrome plate from the pits without using electrical means (swapping anode and cathode around and reverse plating). Too much of a headache for me so got some others. :roll:

Starting to repair the rear bright work, a few dents, twists and lots and lots of scratches. Will take a 2 or 3 hours to have them looking their best again. I had Dave (Restoremaz) do the gutter chrome a few years back which is ready to go in shortly. Rick from Mazbitz also did a few bits for us. I decided to do the remaining lot during a weeknight when not much else is going on.... fiddly work.

I blasted 5 layers of paint off the rear vents a few years back to reveal pretty good plastic. One of the previous owners must have had a fetish with colour matching blue, red and green because those colours where colour coded everywhere :lol: I'm tempted to leave them in natural plastic but there are not quite perfect. I'll probably drop them off to Ricky, it'll save me some money mixing up paint and buying plastic adhesion promoter so the paint doesn't peel off. He has a couple of bits for me that I need to pickup anyhow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:47 pm 

Your write up is like reffering to a build manual with colour pics! I enjoy the read. The interior is so good, looking forward to seeing your car with more of the parts attached. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:53 am 

Thanks, I've also finished repairing the rear windscreen chrome. Turned out pretty good. If anyone knows where to buy a new rear screen with the demister let us know, thinking about having the windscreens installed shortly. If I can't find a new rear one I've got a couple of used ones that I'll need to buff up and pick the best of.

The diff housing is all a part as well so I can give it a coat of paint. Thinking of installing a 3.9 instead of the stock 3.7. I've got an LSD which I'm thinking about putting in as well. LSD will most like be sent away as well, I've learnt enough skills, I'll leave that one for the professional. Brake booster has been sent away to be quoted on reco'ing. Drum brake backing plates are also away at the blasters. I was surprised to find the rear axles are different lengths, learn something everyday.

Lots of small fiddly stuff to do, front windscreen chrome is the next job on my list then passenger front window, seat belts take #2, the list goes on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:46 am 

I think you will be out of luck finding a new read screen, when I took mine out I accidentally cracked it and needed to replace. Tricky Rick informed me that knowone makes aftermarket rear screens for the rx3, so you might have to give them a buff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:22 am 

I'll give a few places a call and see what I come up with. I could have some made but I'd hate to get stuck with them after half the people change their minds ! I think you're right I'll take a look at the 2 I have and buff up the best one. I have some industrial glass polish which should help making it look respectable.

Who did your windscreen install and would you use them again ? Does your windscreen have the blue shade across the top ? (Im after a plain one).

Pulling apart the 808 diff housing for a rebuild and paint. Brake lines coming apart using a pipe spanner.

Brake drum backing plates have been sent to the blasters. I'll paint them once I get them back. Pic 2, I forgot how much diff oil stinks !

Not sure if this is present on early diff housings like the one currently in the car (10a one) but you can see oil baffle plate for the axles.

Diff will be sent away for a reco and an LSD installation. I'll most likely install a 3.9 gear set instead of the 3.7. I have a 5th gear now so that will make the car nicer to drive. The brake booster is currently at a brake specialist getting overhauled. I tried cracking it open without success so decided to send it away. It needs a new pivot made up which Im unable to do (don't have the tools) so made sense to drop it off to a specialist.

Don't remove chrome trims with screw drivers, it only will damage them like this. I spent hours tapping out dents from the rear chrome trims. Pic 2, all repaired and nice and straight.... this one is ready to be buffed up to a nice shine.

The 6 pieces to the right of the photo are the completed rear screen set. A couple of pieces took close to an hour each to repair but Im very happy with the result. The other shiny one to the left of the corner bits is the first of the front windscreen trims to be repaired. That particular trim took aaaaaaaaaaaaaages ! To be honest the novelty wore off after the 2nd one I repaired :lol: I still have to complete the front trims and the big long ones that run along the sill panels as well as the shark fin trim that sits infront of the rear wheels. All I'll say is you need your wits about you when fixing this stuff as it doesnt take much to send them to the bin or injure yourself when buffing them.

More soon although I now think I've got a plan for the a front brake upgrade... thinking of 4 potters with vented rotors which should fit under the standard 13" wheels. I recently missed out on a set but after talking with one of my mates I realised that the Escort conversion is very similar. SOOOO at some point I'll be borrowing all the hardware from him and going from there. I may fit alloy hubs as well to counter act the additional weight from the calipers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:47 pm 

High standard of work as always John. You have inspired many people me included to tackle jobs on there cars that they previously wouldnt have. :tu:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:31 am 

Im pretty happy over all Mick, a few things I'd do different next time around if I'm mad enough to touch another.

If you've never tried restoring a 30+ year old car you'd most likely be unaware how painful it can be chasing bits and pieces that havent been available for many years. You generally have to look at ways of making old parts useable and presentable again. While my car was painted quite a while ago, there is actually very little assembly left. Most of my time (when I get time) is spent chasing bits and pieces and ways to make parts look half decent again. If the car was still wearing original paint it wouldn't be much of a problem but once new paint goes on everything else looks below average.

I recieved a call back for my brake booster, good news is tested as a working unit but it does have a minor leak. The brake guys deal with all sorts of cars and were recommended by a vintage Porsche enthusiast who was encouraging me to try and get the car to some large car festival around Geelong towards the end of the year. Apparently the're after cars like this for some casual Sunday "fun" drag racing with similar vintage cars.

After speaking with the brake guys they sandblast, prime and replace the diaphram as standard practice which is what I wanted to here without prompting them. They mentioned the central pivot that I was concerned about will clean up OK as well. Overall good news.

I raised my hopes a little too high thinking that I could have front and rear windcreens installed sometime real soon. The front will be new but the rear will need to be a used one at this stage. Apparently they are no longer available. The 2 rear ones I have aren't really useable, too many scratches for my liking and the demister is coroded from a storage water leak. I tried cutting (sanding) and buffing the exterior side of the rear screen but while it can be done it isnt worth the month of my time ! I'll be calling around some windcreen manufacturers and see how many (if possible) need to be ordered to make getting a new one viable. This is a long way of saying the windscreens will not be installed anytime soon :lol:

Seatbelts take#2 ! This time I'm having them copper plated only and I'll repair the minor pits myself. Front seat belts tongues are single hole, rear are twin hole. Once I repair them there will be another copper coat then a bright nickel/ cobalt shiny chome plate. Pic 2 the headlight buckets, pedals and various other bits have been blasted and ready to go on.

These are the rear seat belt buckle covers. They have a plastic wrinkle finish but they normally chip and rust between the metal cover and the plastic coating. I had these sandblasted and powdercoated in a textured finish. They came up really good. The button will have a chrome finish with a rotor symbol in the middle. I saw a new set of original seat belts like this, never seen them before but thought it would be a nice touch. No idea if this detail was present on Rx3's but I like it ! Pic 2, pedals and accelerator ready to go on. I bought new pedal pads from Mazda, approx $5 each from memory.

Front seat belt buckles are different to the rear ones. The plastic coating typically cracks unfortunately, they work fine otherwise.

The fix is easy, dual wall 24mm (when shrunk) heat shrink. Dual wall means the wall is really thick and durable, typically double the thickness of standard heatshrink would be my guess :) The inner wall of the tube is coated in hot glue. The stuff is available from Jaycar Electronics if you're chasing some. Cut to length and slip over the stalk.

Apply heat, the tube shrinks, glue melts and we have a new looking stalk again 8) Pic 2, I finished repairing the front windscreen brightwork. Thankfully I've almost finished the lot. I have the long stainless sill (rocker panel) trims to repair and polish, the shark fins that sit in front of the rear lower wheel arches and that should be it.

A close up of the front trims, lots of shine and they are now straight and dent free. I will never look a stainless brightwork the same ever again! To say it's a tedious job is understatement, never again until the next car comes along.

I've started working on the brakes and diff so more on that next time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:06 pm 

About the rear glass. Don't you give them yours and they copy the dimensions to produce a new one?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:55 pm 

RX-2Fan wrote:
About the rear glass. Don't you give them yours and they copy the dimensions to produce a new one?

There is a bit more involved than that as the glass has a curved profile that needs to be matched so it fits right. Producing glass without the demister is relatively straight forward if you find someone who has a kiln.

If they have a demister the manufacturer needs to tool up in order to produce them with a rear demister.

I'm trying to see how many people are interested in buying reproduction rear Rx3 808 windscreens with demister installed. I'm meeting up with a manufacturer next week if my work commitments allow. Depending on numbers they will cost anywhere from 400 - 800. I've only been given rough prices at this stage. They will take 2 -> 3 months to manufacture, the tooling to produce the rear demisters on the glass is the killer. If anyone in Australia is interested send me a PM so I can get an idea on numbers.

If it turns out to be viable I'll contact interested people and a depot will need to be paid. In terms of delivery I plan on dropping off the glass to a Pack and Send depot where buyers will need to pay for frieght to their door with insurance if they wish. I'll provide more details after I meet with the manufacturer.

More updates on the actual car build shortly in the coming days :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 32   [ 621 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 32  Next