Completely understandable Toyotageek, everyone thinks it's a proper nostalgic, and when you look at the Honda racing 50s of the 1960s, it's easy to see why! (http://www.elsberg-tuning.dk/honda.html
) I wish this one was a 50cc twin though, that would be awesome.
Thanks camshaft! Unfortunately, the Bellet is giving me dirty stares, haha. It's alright though, I'll be back on it soon! I just need to get my hands a good metal brake, and then I should be able to run with it from there.
Alrighty, it’s about time for another update!
The CDI and tail light I ordered showed up as well as a few other things, but my turn signals still haven’t made it (this would be the first item I’ve gotten on Yahoo Auctions that hasn’t been dealt with extremely well). They’ll get here eventually, so in the meantime, I figured I’d get to work!
Here’s the new CDI.
And my new tail light.
The reason I was going for a new tail light is that I was still using the old square-ish factory tail light, which was designed to mount o the fender. It looked a little out of place, so I figured it was time to get a proper, small, round one going. This of course required creating a new mount for it. So I bought some stock aluminum and cut and bent three pieces into shape. These all bolt together and then the license plate frame bolts to this, holding the tail light right in position!
Turned out pretty good looking if you ask me!
Here’s a shot of the bracket without the seat on.
I was worried about a light so small being bright enough to see, but as you can see in this picture, it puts out tons of light! I think it’s actually brighter than the original light even.
So, I had my new tail light mounted and ready to rock, had my new carburetor on and I was pretty much all ready for a test ride. Then I remembered that I forgot to put the carb insulator on. So I took the carb back off, honed out the insulator, slapped it all back together, fired the bike up and rolled it outside to warm up while I put my jacket, helmet and gloves on. I head back outside, hop on, give it some throttle and then the whole thing dies before I make it 5 feet. I kick it and it fires up again and then almost immediately dies again. I keep kicking to get it to start, but the damn thing won’t run. So, dejected, I wheel it back inside and start to diagnose.
Pulled the carb off, everything was hooked up fine and looked okay, so I put it back on and tried to get it to start again and sometimes it would run and sometimes it wouldn’t. The whole thing was sounding worse and worse. So, I’m thinking it’s the new CDI I put on, so I pull that out but nothing changes. I’m racking my brain and going crazy until finally I decide to put the original carb back on and see if that solves the problem. Miraculously, it does! So, now that I know it’s a problem with the new carb I pick it up to look at it and hear a clinking sound coming from the inside. So I crack the carb open for the first time and the main jet and emulsion tube have fallen out. That’s right, fallen out. So, I put them back in, tighten them down and try to put the carb back on and the threads on the carb for installation strip out, both sides. I almost threw the Taiwanese piece of junk across the room.
I went upstairs and ordered a proper, Honda original, PC20 carburetor off of Yahoo Auctions. Genuine Honda/Keihin stuff.
The build quality is completely different. This carburetor moves smoother, sounds better and is generally just of great quality. Lesson learned, when buying carbs, go with genuine stuff. Here she is installed on the bike!
Since I was putting the bike back together, I decided to re-install my CDI. Interestingly, the CDI isn’t a replacement CDI, it’s just a piggy back unit. It’s supposed to change ignition maps, increase the strength of the spark and eliminate the rev limiter. Don’t know how effectively it does all that, but it most definitely lets me rev to 14k now instead of having the whole thing stop the fun at 13,500. Here you can see the CDI unit ziptied to the frame (zipties are the preferred method of installation since the CDI unit comes supplied with two for installation!).
So, I pulled the bike out for her first test ride since I went crazy with all this stuff.
The bike ran terrible, haha. Then I thought about it and of course it did, the carb is meant for a 125 probably, so the main jet size is probably mega rich for a 50. So, out came the carb and the tuning process began! The main jet installed at factory on the new carb was a #95 and the original carb had a #75. I worked my way down to a #78 and it ran just a little lean, so I jumped back up to a #80 and the bike seems to be running pretty awesome! I still need to do some fine tuning with the needle clip, but I rode the bike for about an hour yesterday without a hitch!
Not bad looking for a fifty!
Unfortunately, rainy season reared its ugly head this morning, so I won’t get a chance to ride it again for a while.
I still got a few more things to knock out and then I’ll be pretty happy with it! Most notably, the big ungainly turn signals are going to get replaced with much slimmer ones, if the slimmer ones ever get here (2 weeks for shipping is a little ridiculous…). Also, I picked up some front springs that slide over the front forks to stiffen up the front a bit (Honda original part). I also grabbed some Honda original rear shocks and springs from a CB250RS for cheap. I’m going to disassemble them and double check the spring rate before they go on though.
Thanks everyone for the comments!