#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:21 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 73 of 81   [ 1608 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: JNC Project Hakosuka Build Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:38 am 

There is a huge car meet in the middle of Sydney not this weekend but next... Rooftop car park in Lang Road, Moore Park... You should go. It's part JDMST, Lowdown, MCM... should be good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:30 am 

Yeah, the Lowdown meet: http://www.the-lowdown.com/showcased/

Should be a great day, but saturdays ain't so good for me to get away to do car stuff :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:59 am 

Recently, I've noticed a little coolant weep between cylinder 4 and 5, about here. You can't see it now, but sometimes there's a little droplet right there:

Now just over a year ago, the head gasket blew at the racetrack, and it looked like this:

Not wanting to have a repeat of this, I tried to think of reasons why there might be a bit of a leak there, and a friend suggested that maybe I should try retorquing the head. Well you never know...so first the strut brace and the throttle cable have to come off.

Then the rocker cover can be removed...

And everything under there looks as it should, after 15,000kms, Tony Knight's handiwork on the head still looks new...in the middle of the pic you'll notice the 12-point nut for the ARP head stud kit that I fitted last year. We'll be loosening these, and retightening them again.

One of the possible theories is that maybe my Old Faithful Torque Wrench isn't so accurate anymore. That's the one at the top of this pic (which is the common kind that everyone has). I've had it for about 20yrs now, and during that time it's been abused and never been recalibrated. You see, this kind of wrench relies on an internal coil spring and various spring loaded gubbins inside, and over time they can lose their accuracy and need to be calibrated.

But the new one is a really nice, aussie-made Warren & Brown unit, which is reassuringly oldschool. Basically it simply relies on its shaft bending under torque when you tighten a bolt.

To set the desired torque, you slide that black triangle thing back and forth, and the tighter the setting, the further to the right it goes (and hence the more the shaft has to bend). When that conical thing on the bottom touches the black triangle, it pops some internal spring loaded device and makes an audible click. So this kind can never go out of adjustment, as long as its used appropriately, and is a really nice thing to hold.

First, I loosen every head nut a 1/4 turn, starting with the ones at the firewall end. Then I loosen the ones at the radiator end, and work my way towards the middle (this is the sequence according to the factory manual).

Then, to retighten...do the opposite, and start in the middle and work outwards. I start off with tightening all of them in sequence to 40ft-lbs, and then do a second round to take it up to 60.

And the verdict? :) Well it seems that Old Faithful is perhaps not really all that faithful anymore, because 60 pounds on the old wrench actually turned out to be 40! With the new wrench, the nuts took almost an extra quarter of a turn tighter at 60ft-lbs. I'll keep an eye on that coolant weep, but I presume that clamping the head 50% tighter isn't going to hurt...and Old Faithful is now enjoying a well-earned retirement in the Garbage Bin of Shame :D

But while everything is apart, it's a good time to give the rocker cover a bit of spit and polish...

And it's all looking good again :)

And in other news, I made a shelf :D

Heehee...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:27 am 
Mild Cam

A nice torque wrench is ALWAYS a good investment. :tu: As a kid I bought a $20 torque wrench at a Harbor Freight store...I've never even taken it out of its box. I keep it around as a reminder not to skimp on tools.

Nice dimple die work on the shelf, hahaha.

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:49 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

What are the massive pipes going through the wall Kev?

I got given a torque wrench that some students left behind from a project here at work, it's a cheapy brand so I've been using it as a paperweight. :)

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm 

ewokracing wrote:

Water from the roof gutters, runs into those pipes, which then go into these huge tanks that we use for washing cars, watering the garden etc.

Of course, I have no idea why the plumber couldn't have put the pipes on the *outside* of the building, but hey it's too late now :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:27 am 

Location: Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney
That Warren & Brown unit looks identical to my Dad's 30+ year old Repco torque wrench and it is indeed a nice tool to use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:31 am 
Mild Cam

kev wrote:
ewokracing wrote:

Water from the roof gutters, runs into those pipes, which then go into these huge tanks that we use for washing cars, watering the garden etc.

Of course, I have no idea why the plumber couldn't have put the pipes on the *outside* of the building, but hey it's too late now :)

I've started hearing about this...the "green" movement is very popular in the States and even people who don't live in dry areas are adopting setups like these in an effort to lower their "carbon footprint." :roll:

...however Mom has started collecting rainwater for her garden and she's got a cool little system set up now. :) It's gotten me thinking. How do you purify the water? How do you get sufficient water pressure to wash a car?

1988 Mazda RX-7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:35 am 

Camshaft wrote:
It's gotten me thinking. How do you purify the water? How do you get sufficient water pressure to wash a car?

It got a little serious here in Sydney a few years ago, when there wasn't much rainfall for a long time, and the drinking water supplies almost ran out. So they had this rule, where you could only water your garden in this one hour window twice a week (or something).

And washing cars with a hose was forbidden, so you had to line up all these buckets of water to tip over the car (which probably used a ton more water than a hose, but I think it was mainly to make washing a car inconvenient for most ppl).

So installing rain tanks was necessary if you had a big garden and lots of cars that need washing, because if you were using rainwater, you could do whatever the hell you want :) The tanks run off a pump, so the water pressure at the hose is about the same as regular tap water. Also it's not purified so you can't drink it, it's only for washing cars and watering plants.

Of course, in recent years we've had so much rain that they lifted the restrictions on using tap water for washing cars :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:49 am 
Mild Cam

kev wrote:
The tanks run off a pump, so the water pressure at the hose is about the same as regular tap water. Also it's not purified so you can't drink it, it's only for washing cars and watering plants.

Hmmm. What sort of pump do you use? The water pressure at my house leaves a lot to be desired, I bet I could probably get more water pressure with a pump and just use an in-line water purifier if I was so inclined.

Sorry for going so OT, mate! :oops:

1988 Mazda RX-7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:45 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Run the house/shed/garage guttering to a tank. Put a spout at the bottom of the tank. Connect hose to spout, gravity does it's work and no need for a pump.

Also works a treat with gardens etc.

You can also get a grey water setup going... you divert the water from your laundry sink (ie washing machine) and shower.... NOT THE TOILET! to a tank. The tank lets the sediment fall (ie clothes fluff) to the bottom. You have a spout up a certain height off the bottom of the tank and again, perfect for gardens. You just have to make sure that you use a laundry soap that is green friendly. You don't want to use something like Acid to clean parts in your laundry trough! Some grey water systems have pumps or built in filters as well.

Best part is, with either rainwater from the roof or grey water, in summer you can water the garden or lawn and it keeps the plants green and your lawn green, so it stops stuff dying and the soil getting loose and blowing into your house and garage. WIN!

ps. You should go into business making dimple die brackets Kev!

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:50 pm 

more OT. We've got a 9k litre rainwater tank under the house, and we use it for everything. A few filters are set up to clean it, then it just runs through the normal plumbing. It's enough for a family of 4 to last near a month with no rain. When it does run out, we've got a valve set up so that you can just turn on the town supply.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:23 pm 

aussieANON wrote:
There is a huge car meet in the middle of Sydney not this weekend but next... Rooftop car park in Lang Road, Moore Park... You should go. It's part JDMST, Lowdown, MCM... should be good.

On second thoughts, the stars have re-aligned and it looks like I can make this after all! The Hako is entered in the rooftop car show this Saturday at: http://www.the-lowdown.com/showcased/

So come on down and say hello :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:26 pm 

kev wrote:
aussieANON wrote:

On second thoughts, the stars have re-aligned and it looks like I can make this after all! The Hako is entered in the rooftop car show this Saturday at: http://www.the-lowdown.com/showcased/

So come on down and say hello :)

oh damn right i'll come on down! Got a carload of mates too, expect plenty of annoying questions and photos. Are you on the top floor or second?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:48 pm 

aussieANON wrote:
oh damn right i'll come on down! Got a carload of mates too, expect plenty of annoying questions and photos. Are you on the top floor or second?

Rooftop.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:26 pm 

seems like a good place to ask..

chasing these two books, kinokuniya books dont have anymore.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... BA&cad=rja

not that good with computers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:31 pm 

renaissance wrote:
seems like a good place to ask..

chasing these two books, kinokuniya books dont have anymore.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... BA&cad=rja

not that good with computers

Here you go mate (these are a bit pricey though):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYLINE-COMPLET ... 3a76aaad1e

Or you could try this online bookstore in Japan:
http://shop.lindbergh.co.jp/cgi-bin/e/s ... code=11581

(no one seems to have the G-Works book though)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:34 pm 

that was quick ...
ps how do i get get pic on post ???

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:35 pm 

renaissance wrote:
that was quick ...
ps how do i get get pic on post ???

Easiest way is to go to www.photobucket.com and upload pictures there (it's free). After uploading, copy the image tag below the pic (the bit that starts with [img]) and paste it into your post and we should all see the picture :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:48 pm 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 73 of 81   [ 1608 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 81  Next