It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: 93cc (Don) 81 Celica GT LB
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:03 pm 

Thanks... Looks like I can get a new one for not much too

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:05 pm 

Ordered some AGX Camero shocks for the rear of the Celica... Planning on using the stock rear springs unless someone has any better recommendations

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:49 am 

Got the suspension done:

2nd Gen Supra Top Mount, KYB AGX for SW20 and AE86 Ground Control Coilovers and some AGX Shocks for the rear.

For the front:
I thought I would try and see how low I can drop it without cutting the strut tube and this is what I got with the coilover adjusted down as far as I could adjust them plus about an 1" of drop with the supra top mount.

If you don't want to cut the strut tubes you will also need one of these http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=110 to keep the strut in place. The one for the AE86 wont fit, the unthreaded part is to long and will not allow it to screw into the strut. Call Gabe and tell him you need the shorter one, I think it was the one for supra. While it does fit, it is just a little to short and the strut had some play. So I put a 1/4 washer on top of strut between it and the spacer.

I also have read that you can put spacers/washer at the bottom of the strut tube so that the strut doesn't bounce around in the strut tube. A word to the wise the strut tube is narrower at the bottom then it is at the top. I'm not sure by how much but a washer that just fits at the top will not go all the way to the bottom... I found out the hard way

and in the rear of the car:
With just the stock springs the ride quality was better but didnt make it any lower. So went to PAP to find some springs I could use to cut and lower it. They didnt have any 2nd gen celicas so I just went to see what other options I could find... I ended up finding a 4 door 85 corolla and the springs looked pretty close and since I was there I thought I might as well give them a shot.

here are pictures

Before

After

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:50 am 

after removing the power steering pump, reservoir and associated hoses I was finial able to finished up the power steering delete by removing the line you can see in this other picture:

I had been looking around for special plugs and or fittings and was having no luck.  So I was at Lowes today and was looking at what they might have and found the two plugs you see here and as it turns out these are just Oil Pan drain plugs! they are 16x1.5

a few days of driving it and so far I dont see any leaking.   :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:16 pm 

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:15 pm 

errolae92 wrote:
:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :oops: :oops:

thanks! I think?

Post subject: Re: 9
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:52 pm 

think that this beautiful that 22r, the look they give these side carbs, added to the performance, make a machine that 22r worthy of admiration! :oops: jeje

Greetings from Costa Rica

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:32 pm 

I have posted here in awhile and thought I would fill you all in on what is/has been going on with my car

The car had been running real load... kinda sounding like a diesel, so I finally took the time to look into and found this

http://postimage.org/image/kkzm6u34v/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:36 pm 

yep the timing chain was really lose and was chewing thru that bolt head.... :shock:

So I ordered a timing chain kit...

I got every thing pulled apart and was able to remover the bolt with half the head missing. :D

when I went to remove the hidden bold that connects the head to the timing chain cover, it was missing as in not installed :o

Had some issues getting the timing chain cover off with all of the RTV that was on it in and removing the crankshaft pulley and the pump drive spine, which put up a little bit of a fight coming off.

after removing the timing chain cover I was checking things out to see what damage there was and noticed that the timing chain no longer had any slack in it :shock: and the tensioner was extended and holding the chain tight.... not sure what the deal was when the chain had all kinds of slack in it prior to removing the timing chain cover. I'm guessing the tensioner was stuck closed or partly closed.

There is a little bit of damage from when the chain was lose to the timing chain cover and the front of the head but I dont think its enough to worry about.

The distributor shaft had a lot of play on the top end and the springs seems to have no life left in them either, so I got a replacement distributor too.

Last edited by 93cc on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:36 pm 

here are some pictures of the damage to the timing chain cover and the front of the block/head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:37 pm 

and also found out that one of the gears on the oil pump is cracked.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:37 pm 

and I think I know what caused the problem with the timing chain

Going off the idea that a bolt was too long and interfering with the tensioner, check out this damage to the tensioner

and when the tensioner is installed it lines up with this bolt that is too long

So based the fact that there was no bolt from the head to the timing chain cover and that some of the other bolts seem to be miss matched or just what ever bolt they could find, I'm going to say the PO cut this one down and left it too long so that at one point it got caught up on the tenioner causing the chain to be lose and etc...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:39 pm 

and as things were going back togeather I ran into this issue when trying to reinstall the cam gear, everything seems fine until I went to tighten it down and the gear would wiggle side to side, it was like it needed a washer or something. So back to the internet and more research I came across this

and found out that you need that after you removed this

when I got the car neither one of the above part were installed so am guessing the PO removed them when they removed the fuel pump eccentric and didn't replace it with a spacer.

Luckily ShoNuff had one and after a quick test install it looks like that fixed the issue with the cam sprocket tighten down like it should.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 pm 

Everything is all back togeather and has been running ok....

So I think (keeping my fingers crossed) that I have worked out all of the little issues minus two small coolant leaks (drips). One is coming from the water by pass pipe and the other is dripping from somewhere by the water pump.

and it runs ALOT quieter :tu: :tu: :tu:

Next on the list is to get the carbs tuned like they should be... they sound really good but I still think there is a lot of HP still waiting to be released

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4