#
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Coolest thing happened at the auto parts store
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:27 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Okay, if most of you are like me, you tend to memorize locations of J-tins in your brain. I have this mental roll-a-dex of dattos and yotas and even some honda J-tin around my area that I check on frequently. When I meet other J-tin fans, I like to compare notes and see if I am missing any entries in the storage bank. That is the background needed for this story.
So, my wife's camry has been losing coolant. I was very afraid that she had blown the headgasket. Last night, she got back from the store and I noticed she was dripping coolant, so I started checking. Turns out she had a pinhole in one of the hoses carrying coolant around the intake mani. So off with the old hose and down to the auto parts store I head.
Pull into the local O'Riellys and what do I see but a '69 510 Wagon!!!!! After I finished screaming like a little girl, I head inside to find the owner. Turns out he was a good guy. We started chatting, comparing notes and cars. Told him I had a '76 Celica LB and he turns around and goes...
"Yeah, there is a guy up on thirtieth street with one of those too."
"Yeah, that is me" I say back. Then quickly, I realize, someone has noticed my celica and filed it away in their roll-a-dex as well. At that point, I almost couldn't contain my excitement. I was an entry in somebody's 'I need to remember where that car is and check on it' file. Not a big deal, but it made my day... The thunder winning against Miami was just icing on the cake. I did pimp out the site to him. I, unfortunately, did not have any stickers on me, otherwise I would have slapped one on his wagon as well.

When I finally got home, 30 mins later(O'riellys is a minute from the house) the wife did not find my story nearly as cool as I thought it was. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Coolest thing happened at the auto parts store
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:05 am 

She only cared if you got the part or not..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:42 pm 

Thats awesome! I dont feel wierd now. I do the same thing.
I actually just saw an old school honda one street over from my house and now its in my roll-a-dex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:56 am 

Anytime I try to explain something cool that is automotive to my wife I quickly remember she is a normal person and I probably sound like a child to her lol...but that will never stop me!! It's always nice to meet local j-tin owners around town.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:45 pm 
Mild Cam

This happened to me two summers ago...

"Hey Sarah, a first gen MR2 followed me home for a few blocks."

"Did you call the police?"

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:46 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I just got an eye roll and a glazed look in response to my story. Heaven forbid if I don't remark about her new shoes... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:09 am 

OkieRA29 wrote:
When I finally got home, 30 mins later(O'riellys is a minute from the house) the wife did not find my story nearly as cool as I thought it was. :lol:

Well I find it cool. Mainly because the same thing happened to me last summer.

In almost the same capacity.

Last summer I had gone to the local Autozone to get a part and when i came out, a guy was standing next to his car. I didn't realize it at the time, but he was watching the other folks come out to see if they were going to my car. When I headed to it, he stopped me and asked me lots of questions about it. He said that he had only seen one one other time in his life. That happened to be the year before and he pulled out his phone.....

........and showed me a picture of my car (before paint) in a Lowe's parking lot that he had taken with his phone.

The excitedness I felt then that someone actually took a picture of my car and had it in their phone for a year was definitely cool.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:21 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Got the same feeling a couple of months ago. Took the 'hello kitty death car' (pet name for the celica) to the local 'cars and coffee' event. Needless to say, in this red neck state I was about the only old jap car around... Well, the FJ club doesn't count around here. Any rate, I was walking around, I notice an older couple, mainly due to the bronze star plate on their car. They started walking around and I lost track of them. Turn around to leave and there is the couple. I shook the man's hand and thanked him for his service, preparing to ask him where he won his bronze star, his wife, before I could ask, asks me if the celica is mine. I answered politely that it was my car. She then proceeded to gush about her 76 celica that she had bought new. I sat and conversed with the lady for a good 20 minutes. She even remembered the paint code hers was painted in. I told her that when I finally had a passengers seat she was more than welcome for a ride. I saw her again last month, this time driving the 85 rather than the 76 and she asked how soon I was gonna have a passenger's seat in the 76. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:11 pm 

That is funny, I had the same thing happened to me, I stopped by O'reiley's to buy a rear trans seal and I pulled in next to a red 67 roadster. I looked at it for a while and the guy came out and nearly freaked out when he saw my roadster. He said he lived by me and had been chasing me around for the last year in his pick up waving and trying to get me to stop. People wave to me all the time so I didn't think anything about it and just wave and keep driving. I spent over about hour and a half talking Datsun’s with him before I headed home only to find my wife pretty mad since she had been out looking for me, I forgot my phone at home and see called to have me pick something up at the store and since I didn't have my phone and was gone longer than the 5 mins that said I would be, she thought I had broken down somewhere. After I explained what had happened and that I would have called she was slightly less mad. Keith (other roadster owner) and I have now been to a few shows and drives together. The J-tin are starting to make a presence in the usually domestic cars shows and it's growing everyday.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]