#
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:10 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Why in the year 2012 are Japanese cars still hated?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:24 pm 

So I have had some odd things happen to me over the years on my various J-tin cars,and trucks. For the past 5 years or so it has been fine, but this afternoon I was reminded that there are still ignorant people in the world of cars.

Now I understand my choice in vehicles is eclectic at best, but it still doesn't make what happened to me any more understandable. Around 6-7 years ago I went by a local cruise night with my 74 REPU, and started driving in the back where the "show" cars were parked (I parked way out in the grass area away from the "cool" cars on the pavement) as I thought it would be cool to show off my rare truck. As I was pulling in a guy at the gate stopped me by stepping in front of me. I guess he was handing out some sort of raffle ticket to participants that I didn't want or care about. I had my oldest son with me at the time, and was just looking to go park my truck,and look at some cool cars and trucks. The guy then tells me that he doesn't think I should be going into the show. I ask him why, and he says it was only for classic cars and trucks. I said great,and started to let out the clutch, and move along. He then steps back in front of me, and says I guess you didn't hear me? I said no I heard you just fine, and was going into park my truck. He says well you don't understand this show is only for old cars and trucks. I said okay well is 74 old enough? He steps back, and inspects my truck, and with a puzzled look on his face asks me if I were sure it was a 74? Of course I said, and drive into the show. The very next week I go to the same show as we had a good time aside from the guy at the gate, and wouldn't you know the same guy stops me again. I wasn't hearing any of his noise,and drove right past him or at least tried to, but he steps in front of me again with the same line of BS as the week before. I asked him nice and polite that if the show were for old and classic cars then why was there a brand new Vette, and Mustang sitting right in front of me? He says well they are future classics and "cool". Well I said leave me alone man this truck is "cool" and maybe one of the most rare vehicles you will see all night. I told him that I didn't want the stupid raffle ticket,and I was sick of him hassling me,and drove into the show. I have never had an issue with that show since, but I know that certain people would still rather not have any Asian, or import cars in it at all, but they can't stop us.

Fast forward to tonight,and my youngest (5 years old) son, and I head out to another local cruise held at a semi-local Vocational school that I haven't been to in quite some time as last summer I was busy most Tuesdays so I couldn't make it. We went in my new 1990 Mitsubishi van. Now I understand it is an odd vehicle selection, but that's what makes it cool if you ask me. As we are pulling up to go into the parking area for the show I have another one of these coolness czar's stop me,and tell me that I was not welcome in the sparsely attended show. I asked him why,and he said it was because they only allow old cars in. The same tired line the other DB used on me 6 or so years ago. This time I was maybe just too tired, or not wanting confrontation due to being older but I just politely turned around (the mitsu van has an amazing turning radius by the way), and headed back home instead of entering the regular parking lot,and going to see the cars. Still it bugged me. I bet if I have a V8 under the seat they'd of let me in. What do you think?

Do you guys get this hate where you live? I swear maybe it is a New England thing, but Japanese cars don't get any respect around here from anyone aside from other J-tin lovers or open-minded people. By that I mean way back when the guy hassled me about the REPU I had a great number of people say they loved my truck that night when I was either just getting out of it, or back into it to leave so I understand some people liked it, but the old guard muscle car guys seem to be stuck in the 1940's or something. I would have thought that by 2012 we would be past this sort of thing especially in a world where there really is no such thing as an American car anymore.

Your thoughts?

78 RX-7 GS Spark Yellow
74 REPU Lawn Green
89 Mitsubishi Delica P25W

Post subject: Re: Why in the year 2012 are Japanese cars still hated?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:58 pm 

Down here I think maybe there is a *little* bit of prejudice by the V8 muscle guys, but it's not very much. For example, a few weeks ago I took the Hako to an event which is called Muscle Car Saturday. After I parked up, I had a few ppl come over to say that they thought the Hako was the coolest car at the event.

...mind you, they said it in a whisper, as if it might be a bad thing for them to be overheard saying such a thing :D Then again, at a classic car show last yr, it was mostly V8 muscle inattendance, and the Hako got runner-up in entrants choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:07 pm 

I enjoy being the under dog at such events, I used to take my Colt to the regular vintage car display (it was eligible) just to stir up the old boys!

Funny thing is, Baby boomers who are into muscle and old vintage are going to retire soon,
some of there ridiculously priced 8's are going to be up for sale and there wont be anyone who cares around to by them soooo...

prices will plummet!

And Jap tin will go up.... the great cycle continues.

'79 Honda C50
'73 Honda ST90
Custom Honda Chaly
'85 RX7
'79 B1600

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:55 am 
JNC Fanatic

I haven't experienced it much in Detroit... but I haven't really tried to take the '71 Mazda to shows either (because it doesn't run... :lol: ).

I'd chalk the REPU incidents up to one person's ignorance, and the Mitsu van doesn't surprise me, unfortunately- it's really not all that old, and unless you knew what it was, it just looks like an old van. I wouldn't expect to get into a classic car show with an '89 Aerostar, Astro, or Previa either.

It just depends on the circles of people. Sit down classic car cruise ins tend to gather an older crowd- so even if opinions have changed, you're still interacting with the people who created that original opinion, and they haven't changed. And at this point, they likely won't change anyhow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:16 am 

Try not to let a couple ignorant people get to you. I'll bet there was more people thrilled to see your REPU in the show. I know I would have.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:39 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I haven't taken the celica out to a proper car show yet, but it has attended several cars and coffee events. I don't try to park near the mustangs or exotics, eventhough last time there was an open spot between two 977s I really wanted to park in. I actually got quite a few "I had one of those when they were new" comments. I even had one lady who stopped and chatted with me for 10-15 minutes about the one she bought new in '76. She even remembered the color code for the paint! So I don't see it near as much as I used to. There are still those who look at my car weird, but I don't really care.
I do notice, at the cars and coffee stuff, that more younger kids stop and notice my car than older folks. I still get people, especially at some of the local salvage yards talk about 'Jap crap" when they see my car. Ricers don't help the issue either :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:45 pm 

Back when I was driving my old R30 people used to tell me to send it to scrap and get a V8 all the time. When asked what they thought I should get, it was always "What, you dumb? Get a Commie/Falcon mate. Would shit all over that fucken Japanese piece of shit."
Funny thing was, that R30 ate V8 Commodores and Falcons for breakfast, lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:56 pm 

you know the famous nickname where you are from for those types right?

Massholes..

other than that.. people are people.. prejudices come easy when its not about a person..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:49 am 
Mild Cam

I get it all the time where I live, too...I'm tempted to organize my own car show. No cars older than 1980, no red Corvettes, nobody old enough to remember where they were when Kennedy got shot, and no friggin' Beach Boys blaring from the DJ booth. Reverse age cutoff FTW.

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:52 am 

We also still have some TEAM AMERICA v8 american steel types here in CA. Sort of related..I was riding my Honda 954RR home from work, and some angry old man in a convertible 350Z randomly cut me off right before a red light...he then proceeded to tell me "get your f*cking japanese rice rocket off the road". I then explained to him in not very kind words how he almost knocked me over for no reason and p.s. you are driving a japanese car you ignorant *($)*@#()*@@)($!!!!!

However I haven't encountered any hate while driving my 240z, and mostly receive thumbs up and "i use to have one of those" comments. Like anything there will always be people ignorant to unfamiliar/foreign things...unfortunately

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:10 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

jwebb2876 wrote:
"What, you dumb? Get a Commie/Falcon mate. Would shit all over that fucken Japanese piece of shit."
"I'd rather my Torana any day Mate", getting spat at in an Alpine, cut-off regularly, keyed Karmann Ghia, and flavored milk carton poured into in a Porsche - I miss Australia! Mind you, that was way back in the 1990s, and things have changed a little for the better these days? I think they sell wine - instead of just beer - in some restaurants now for example? Neko.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:11 pm 

Because people like this have given us a bad name.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:03 am 

I think there are a lot of older generation folks who harbor distaste for Japanese imports. I also think there are a great many folks who have no eye for the rare, obscure and different. Meaning, if it isn't something they know and are very familiar with, they don't want anything to do with it, and it must be bad/worthless/ugly/undesireable/etc.

For a long time, I've wanted to start up an import 4x4 club here locally where I live. Reno is a mountain town, and 4x4s are everywhere, and Jeeps are obviously the dominant breed. But I want to see something different. Nothing amazes me more than an old Nissan Patrol still on the road, or nicely modified Sami or Xterra. Hell, I'd like to see more IH Scouts, old Broncos and Land Rovers.

Bart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:51 am 

Don't confuse hatred with ignorance. Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and the real a$$holes like theirs to be heard by any/everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:50 am 

Salt Lake has a pretty good J-tin scene, I've been going to a few of the bigger cars shows a year and there are always quit a few Japanese cars. A couple of us recently went to a big show with about 800+ cars, mostly the American muscle cars. It was Ryan in green GC10 Skyline, Duane brought his Green 510 wagon and the Toyota Helix and me in the Datsun roadster. My roadster looks the part of a classic a little more, people just usually say stuff like nice MG. But I loved watching the people that walked by, going from the usually GTO's, Mustangs and Camaro's to the Skyline or the Helix. Most just glanced over and kept walking but there was still quite a few that were completely blown away. I even loved that there was a younger kid that was about 12 that was telling his dad about the skyline was that it one of the greatest cars to come out of Japan and that it dominated racing. Of course there was some comments of why would these cars be in the show but I kind of like it, it's like being a part of a secret club, that not everyone gets.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:38 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

aclever1 wrote:
but I kind of like it, it's like being a part of a secret club, that not everyone gets.

^ this. You just ignore the stupid dumb rednecks who know nothing except how to breed and grow a beer gut and give the nod or wink to those that get it.

(BTW: I get the same thing owning a Pommy 70's sedan. People come up and try and tell me all sorts of things about my own car, all of which are complete and utter nonsense.)

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:42 pm 

aclever1 wrote:
Salt Lake has a pretty good J-tin scene

Layton doesn't, nothing but VW hipsters.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:39 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Had a bit of a re-think on this topic.

I read a book over the last few weeks about the RAAF (Australia's air force) and WWII in the pacific, it detailed some pretty horrific war crimes carried out by Japanese soldiers. I can kind of understand a bit better now why some older guys might look upon Japanese cars with a certain amount of distaste, even if they didn't serve in WWII, their father may have and it may have carried down on to them.

Just food for thought.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:09 am 

I agree with what your saying :tu: , but we can not live in the past :wink:
But I think in Australia there are to many meat-heads who love footy V8 supercars & beer :roll: . Why do you think they made it Holden V Ford car racing? Because when the Jap cars were racing they would win most of the time :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:23 am 
JNC Enthusiast

ewokracing wrote:
Had a bit of a re-think on this topic.

I read a book over the last few weeks about the RAAF (Australia's air force) and WWII in the pacific, it detailed some pretty horrific war crimes carried out by Japanese soldiers. I can kind of understand a bit better now why some older guys might look upon Japanese cars with a certain amount of distaste, even if they didn't serve in WWII, their father may have and it may have carried down on to them.

Just food for thought.

I disagree.
German cars don't seem to get as much flack, or do they?

I think a lot of people are just plain ignorant. The reasons for their ignorance may vary widely, but I personally think that's what it boils down to.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next