#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:12 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 9   [ 168 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: How my life found a '72 Nissan Skyline 2000GT HT
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:48 am 

WHat makes your story even more special is that you literally found your car yourself, bought it in Japan yourself, and drove it around Japan yourself for a while before bringing it back to the States.... That's pretty fantastic!

Next time I'm out there, I'll go down to Nagoya and look up the old "RH Factory" address in the hopes that some random person knows of a way to contact the former manager there... I'd love to know more about my car's past life and possibly even be-friend it's former owner if at all possible...

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:19 am 

I am picturing a reverse "Black Rain" scenario (starring Ken Watanabe) where the yakuza come to the US to take the car back :lol:

...or alternatively it will be a light-hearted comedy starring Jackie Chan.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:37 am 

let's modify the script:

they show up in their vip cars just like the story was told of its purchase
all serious and grim

but when they see the care & attention we're paying to their cars, they break out into song & dance

someone brings a case of Orion and good times are had by all... lol

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:22 pm 

beans161 wrote:
:shock: great story!

I can relate to your story on many levels, I went to japan in 2007 for a 3 month winter in Hokkaido, loved it so much I extended my visa bought a Subaru Legacy GT-B wagon ( a car I had dreamed of owning) thrashed it around the country side of the north island dreaming of shipping it home but found it too expensive.. I stayed for just over a year and a half and had the time of my life. I have been back almost every year since, was even in tokyo for the big earth quake last year :roll:

When I stumbled on your story and read this I found this stupid smile on my face and me saying "f#ck yes, I have a great one about the Tokyo motor show thats just like your black cars pull up chapter " crazy shit does happen its just sometimes stories just seem too long winded to tell when your back home havin a beer with friends that have never been to or really understand the massivness that is japan. Your right, no matter how JNC cool you think you are, when you get there you realise you were not ready for it..

Looking forward to more of the story and pics :tu:

Thank you so much!!! :D The stories do get too long…I guess thats why I started this thread. I really miss Japan like an old friend. When this story gets around to my return visit in 2009 there will be another one of those "I can't believe that just happened" events, I'm still on 2007 so it might be awhile, but I've got to do it chronologically. Good thing I took a lot of pics! Till next time! :tu:

Last edited by 47hako on Thu May 10, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:28 pm 

kev wrote:
I am picturing a reverse "Black Rain" scenario (starring Ken Watanabe) where the yakuza come to the US to take the car back :lol:
...or alternatively it will be a light-hearted comedy starring Jackie Chan.

ericbauer wrote:
let's modify the script:

they show up in their vip cars just like the story was told of its purchase
all serious and grim

but when they see the care & attention we're paying to their cars, they break out into song & dance

someone brings a case of Orion and good times are had by all... lol

You guys should see the movie Outrage: Way of the Yakuza :mrgreen: :tu:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:09 pm 

47hako wrote:
You guys should see the movie Outrage: Way of the Yakuza :mrgreen: :tu:

...or it could be a Godspeed You Black Emperor remake, with a gang of bosozoku bikers making their way across the US to get you :)

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:05 am 

Part 9.5: Little brother drives to Fuji!

2007 was my last year stationed in Japan and I urged my brother to come and visit while I was still there. His visit was typical except for 3 aspects: A trip to Fuji Speedway where I allowed him to drive my car there, a trip to Daikoku-Futo, and a trip to the Toyota Mega Web and check out their automobile museum. Here are some highlights of his stay:

Parking fee at Narita Airport :shock:

The main features at the Toyota Mega Web
ImageImage

Hey Toyota guys! What engine is this?

I don't know anything about it, but it looks so "nostalgic" and "tuned"; I would love to have it in a mango or a slammed 70's lift back...

Some 2000GT love...

and the very E-Type esque one-off convertible driven by Bond, James Bond...

...and they even had a KPGC10 there too!

At the main entrance to Fuji Speedway…

Standing on the track really give you a sense of how steep a 30 deg banked track really is…

It was very hard to walk on...

Wish I had a better camera for this shot...

It was great showing him around to appreciate another part of the world to see how other people live.

Until next time…an important chapter in her life…

Part10: My Hako's last day in Japan...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:55 am 

The Toyota engine looks like a Tom's 3K-R.
Basically a 3K bored out to 1293cc with a DOHC 16V head producing 180BHP @ 9000rpm.
Think (Toyotaku please confirm) that they only built about 20 which is a shame.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:11 pm 

Yup, 3KR. Toyotas secret weapon for the (rwd) Starlet to fight the Nissab Sunnys in the small capacity touring car class in the mid 70s.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:42 am 
JNC Enthusiast

That white AW11 MR2 looks pretty mean. Is that a track car?? Looks like a PikesPeak racer. Nice pics of Japan.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:24 pm 

Drive510 wrote:
That white AW11 MR2 looks pretty mean. Is that a track car?? Looks like a PikesPeak racer. Nice pics of Japan.

It was going to be Toyotas contender in Group B rallying, but the rules changed before it was ready, so it became ineligible form WRC and never raced.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:39 am 

Part 10: My Hako's last day in Japan

Well the day had I arrived. My tour was coming to a close in Japan and it was time to get packing and ensure my Hako was ready for her trip. It was a very worrisome day. A lot of thoughts come circling around you head: Will she be okay? Do I have all my paperwork? Is it correct? Did I prep her enough? Does she meet the height requirements? How long will it take? Where do I pick her up? Should I get anything replaced? What if the ship sinks? Is this really happening? etc. etc. and so on…It seemed like it would never end.

After I was done worrying, I brought her to the auto hobby shop and swapped out her suspension for her stock ride height. Pulled out any non essentials, and carefully packed the GAB/Rubber Soul suspension in the trunk. My buddy Dave (R32in Part 9.3) was also leaving around the same time as me but was moving to the UK, so we decided to make a road trip of it. We had to take our cars to the North Dock in Yokohama Bay to have them inspected by customs, produce some paperwork, fill out and sign some more, and say good bye. We had Paul give chase in his Toyota Bb and to give us a ride back to Yokota…here are some pics of her last drive on Japanese soil…

…and right behind me Dave in his R32 GT-R…

Once we got to the dock, we park in front of a small unassuming building with one lone Japanese employee. He directed us to park under a nearby overhang and conducted a very complete detailed inspection of anything that could be described as a blemish. (note the ships and other U.S. cars in the parking lot going back)

We took a last pic with our cars in case we never got to see them again...

...and one "last image" shot…

And so we said good-bye, hoping and praying that their trip would be alright. I remember being really happy about going back to the U.S. Sometimes I wish I never left Japan, but I was born in the U.S. and there's nothing like it. It was time to go.

For anyone you that would dare take on the challenge of finding your own; I would give yourself at least 3 months of searching, 2 months online, 1 month in Japan. You wouldn't necessarily need all that time. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks or so to goto to all the locations to see the cars in person and maybe set up some extra time on the end to handle all the shipping issues.

The 2 most important forms I used to get her back were the:

EPA Standard Form 3520-1 http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/documents/3520-1.pdf Fill out the top and check box E.

and the...

NHSTA HS-7 Rev from: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/hs799short.pdf Fill out the top and check box 1.

For more in depth info make sure you visit the EPA and NHTSA websites.

Of course you will also need your Japanese Title, Registration, Bill of Sale, JCI, Road Tax Receipt, Insurance and anything else that proves the car is yours. I do believe you also need to show your Title to the Land Transportation Office to get one other sheet that shows you declare to export the vehicle. I can't quite remember that one.

As a bonus you get to keep your actual Japanese plates. :tu:

For my next installment, we will fast forward about 3-4 months…

Part 11: Day 1 in the U.S. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:53 am 

Drive510 wrote:

It was called the Toyota 222D:

kev wrote:
It was going to be Toyotas contender in Group B rallying, but the rules changed before it was ready, so it became ineligible form WRC and never raced.

That is correct Kev, I believe it's also why the we never saw the Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth in WRC either. The "Cossie" however did end up getting altered for DTM/BTCC/SuperTouring matches. Changes to the rules...

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:47 pm 

Part 11: Day 1 in the U.S.

Here we go! The day had finally come, I had already been back in the U.S. for about a month and I got the call that the car was ready to be picked up from customs. So me and my "bride to be" were on our way to Cali to pick her up:

This is where she was:

First they said she was inside, but she wasn't there :shock: :

So then we went out back…What a sight for sore eyes :D :

And of course what is shipping without breaking something :evil: :

They couldn't figure out how to open the hood and ruined my hood latch release cable. Luckily there was a Z shop I found near Glendale where they installed a modified 240Z Hood release cable to work.

After doing an inspection on everything else, I drove her around front and parked next to my girls car:

We then went back inside, I signed some paperwork and she was fully released to me. So first order of business was to her first taste of U.S. gas 8) :

...and off to the in-laws for a bath:

It's amazing how you remember stuff as you go along. I just realized I didn't take her home to Las Vegas for a week or so because JCCS 2007 was in a few days and we were a last minute entry. My wife had met Terry and Koji at a small Kyusha meet in Eagle Rock and gave her a flyer. We called to see if we could still enter the show and we were good to go. Also, special thanks to Kitty at Autolink for letting me use the bay at her shop last minute to install my suspension before the show. Which leads to…

Part 12: JCCS 2007

See you next time :D :tu:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:38 am 

I've been horribly busy with work and finally have a day off. So without further ado…

Part 12: JCCS 2007

Being her first U.S. show (and first real show for that matter) I was very fortunate to be able to compete I was registered, but it was unknown if actually would be able to show due to the timing of when the car would actually arrive. I was given a 20 day window before she required U.S. registration and I even found a shop close by that allowed me to use their bay to swap out the suspension just before the show. I had to raise her up to 6 inches of clearance required for shipping. So after that and bit of spit and polish, it was off to the show. Here are a few favorite pics…

Always had a soft spot for these…RHD + JDM + original track car = Love

So cool just because no one would do it, but this guy did! It's done right but just so different…

SR20DE(T)! He deserves a second look...

Awesome color choice!

I love this CR-X, if I ever own a Honda (not including the S2000 or NSX), this would be it and only if I could find those super rare wheels!

A few days later we drove her home to Las Vegas, I tucked her in and got my paperwork together to get her registered.

Up next…Part 13: New Home, New Wheels

See you next time... :tu:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:25 am 

Wow.. That was the JCCS I took my 4dr too. I can see myself in the back ground in one of your shots. I wonder if we meet that day and talked.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:43 am 

Part 13: New Home, New Wheels

Well here's her last day on Japanese plates...

After spending the day at the wonderful DMV (actually, I had a friend that worked there back then) it was pretty painless, but had to come up with a lot of paperwork and you have to pass smog in Nevada unless your car is older than 1967.

I didn't make adapters for the plates, I ended up choosing just to drill new holes in the plates vs. the body and added the original "prefecture seal" and a matching NISMO bolt cover.

Back home chillin' with the others...

We don't own the other 2 anymore…or the house

Well I linked up with my buddy John Oshima (he owns the '77 C210 featured in JNC Vol 4, not running at the time) and decided to take her out to the local In-N-Out (use to be midnights on Weds or Thurs, I forget). Anyway this is when he let me know about some other Watanabe's he had laying around for someone else but the deal fell through.

I borrowed them to test fit them, but it was quite awhile until we actually made a deal, I still ahd to line up another deal...

Until next time...Part 13: Shots at Red Rock

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:12 pm 

what size are they ?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:20 pm 

wolff wrote:
what size are they ?

^ +1. Offsets? :)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:11 am 

synth19 wrote:
wolff wrote:
what size are they ?

^ +1. Offsets? :)

Currently I'm running 8J - 15, +0 on the front and 10J - 15, -25 for the rear.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 9   [ 168 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next