#
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:22 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 72 of 80   [ 1594 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 80  Next
 Post subject: Re: JNC Project Hakosuka Build Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:49 am 

kev wrote:
Thanks Alan!

So was the PDC campaign mainly like a petition, or did the funds raised by the sticker sales go to a particular purpose?

(But there you go, R30 owners....you have no excuse not to have a PDC sticker on your car) :D

I went to a car show in Mojiko, in Kita Kyushu yesterday. I saw this car.

And, on the back of it was this.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:06 am 

Daaamn....an RS 4dr DR30 would make a great daily

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:03 am 

Just in case anyone had thought that I'd forgotten about this car.. :) I haven't been doing much work on it lately, but it is getting driven a lot, so don't worry I haven't forgotten about it :D

One recent little project I had was to replace the rather patinated old Omori oil pressure gauge. Sure, it still worked fine, but was looking a little beaten up, and having had the Omori water temp gauge (that came with the car) fail on me, I thought I'd do an upgrade.

Being an Omori, it's a mechanical gauge, which means that there is a tube that runs from the engine block...

...inside the car and right to the back of the gauge. The oil inside the tube pushes on a diaphragm, which then pushes the needle around the gauge. Very simple and interestingly, the tube doesn't get hot at all, even though there is a small amount of engine oil inside it.

The replacement is this, an electronic VDO gauge, which doesn't use the oil-tube system, but rather has an electronic sender.

The sender screws to the side of the block, and you wire it up to the back of the gauge.

Wiring up the gauge was pretty easy, a long time ago I fitted one of these Narva mini fuseboxes. I run a main power wire to it that's switched to ACC on the key, and whenever you need an accessory power source, you just pop in a blade fuse and plug in a wire. Very convenient for things like wiring up gauges, wideband sensors and stuff.

And without further ado, the VDO gauge burst into life!

The elation was short-lived though, because as the oil got hot, the idle oil pressure began to drop to zero. And the oil pressure on the move dropped from a max of 55psi to 35psi.

This had never happened before, so I suspected that the VDO sender was a dud....sure enough, with the old Omori re-fitted, hot idle oil pressure returned to 15psi (as it should be for an L-series) and on the move, max pressure was 55psi, whether hot or cold.

From chatting with our esteemed Technical Editor John, it seems that electronic pressure gauges aren't as accurate as mechanical ones like the Omori, but this sender was clearly a dud, and VDO seems to have a problem with their stock. This dud one is actually the second sender I bought. The first one was new and boxed, but was obviously used, since the threads were oily and it had bits of thread tape on it :) I handed that back to the shop straight away, and they ordered me a new one, but I get the feeling that someone is playing silly buggers, and is replacing bad ones for good and returning them to the shop. Oh well, I guess this is a sign from the resto-gods that the Omori is meant to stay :D

The other thing that I did recently was something I had wanted for a long time. A real 2000GT-R looks like this inside (I took this pic at the Tokyo Nostalgic Show a few years ago):

The 2000GT-R, even though it was twice as expensive as the most expensive "normal" Skyline of the day, was a real stripped out, basic motorsport homologation car. It had no heater, no carpets (just the taxi-pack vinyl mat)...and no radio. It just had this plate over where the Hitachi radio normally lives. When I fitted the Becker Europa stereo last year, I was pretty stoked with how it looked...but it always grated on me that I had this redundant radio at the top of the dash, too. The slot at the top of the dash wasn't DIN-sized, so moving the Becker up there wasn't an option.

Now when I first bought my car in 2007, I remember that all the restoration shops offered the 2000GT-R radio blanking plate as a repro. But by the time I realised I wanted one, they were all gone. Luckily, the repros are being made again, and I snapped one up from Yahoo Auctions, thanks to my friend Ryan. And what a beautiful looking thing it is.

Fitting it isn't the work of a moment though. First you have to remove the old radio, which means that the centre stack has to come out. So it begins with delicately removing all the knobs from the ventilation controls and radio.

Remove a few retaining nuts from the radio and fan knobs..

Undo the cables that run from the ventilation controls to the heater box, remove a few screws and the centre stack can slide off

Then the radio has to be removed (it's located by a single screw on the side, which you can just about access from under the dash)

And out that comes too.

The radio plate just screws in place through the holes left by the radio controls, and it looks just great!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:05 pm 

Nice work, the Becker looks awesome anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:10 pm 

kev wrote:
The 2000GT-R, even though it was twice as expensive as the most expensive "normal" Skyline of the day, was a real stripped out, basic motorsport homologation car. It had no heater, no carpets (just the taxi-pack vinyl mat)...and no radio. It just had this plate over where the Hitachi radio normally lives.

Great update as always Kev, but can I just point out one thing?

You're right that the basic spec of the C10-series GT-Rs included no heater / blower / demister, carpets or radio - but that was the basic spec, and prospective purchasers could, if they paid extra, specifiy them on a new car at time of order. In this way, quite a few GT-Rs did end up with the full heater / blower / demister and/or the radio. My KPGC10 was one of them.....

My car lost its heater / blower / demister some time back when it became more track-oriented, and to be honest I could do with having it back! The radio on the other hand I can live without..... :D

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:47 pm 

Thanks Alan!

That would explain why I see some 2000GT-Rs with aerials in the a pillar. I always assumed they were retrofitted later, but there you go

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:24 pm 

Kinda glad you're sticking with the mechanical gauge. Also, that blanking plate is looking sexy! Solid update.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:25 am 

Since we've decided to keep the old Omori gauge, I decided to tidy up something. You see, when the Japanese owner decided to deck out the whole car with a million gauges...

They had to make room for all those Omori tubes to feed through the firewall. So they took a cold chisel...and made this er...anatomically curious hole :) The thing is, it protrudes 7mm from the firewall, so putting a flat plate over it won't work, and the funny shape of the er...hole...means that a grommet won't fit neatly into it.

Years ago, after I removed most of the gauges, I plugged up the (now gaping) hole with this rubber mushroom, and it's done the job for a long time. But now that we're keeping the Omori, I thought I'd make a bit more of an effort :D So I start with a piece of 1mm aluminium

And this, my bead roller. I've had it for a few years, but don't use it much.

It comes with a set of different rollers, and when you feed sheetmetal through it and turn a handle on the end, it can roll a round bead (like say for the ends of intercooler pipes) or a step like this. The kit comes with a few different sized steps, and this is the medium-sized one:

I start off with rolling a shallow step.

Then I put on the biggest stepped rollers, and if I space them apart a little, and pull down on the left side of the sheetmetal as I roll it, you get this nice, domed shape. I'll be the first to admit that there's definitely a knack to using one of these, and I'm just making this up as I go along...so if anyone has tips on how to do it properly, they would be welcome :D

After it's shaped, I rough out the shape I want with tinsnips, then clean up the edges on the belt sander, and then a little with a handfile for the bits the belt sander couldn't reach.

Then make a central hole with a step drill...

Pop in a rubber grommet, and give it a big of a polish (not necessarily in that order...)

And here we are!

I'm thinking it looks a little...rustic...:) but it'll do the job until i figure out how to use the bead roller properly. It's mostly hidden behind the brake booster hose anyhoo :)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:10 am 

I think it fits perfectly. It has that hands on feel to it. More function than bling.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:14 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Looks good. Alot better then some triangle opening.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:54 pm 

next project:
the cap on that brake master cylinder.
(you just knew somebody was gonna say it...)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:01 pm 

I can get new caps from Japan, and they probably would be $50ea shipped, but at the back of my mind, I've always thought "but yeah, one day soon I'll put in bigger brakes and get a new master cylinder anyway." :)

Of course I've been saying this for 4yrs now :lol:

..and while it's all apart, I'll paint the booster, make up new hardlines, blah blah bla :D

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:34 pm 

I've been following this build for a while as a guest, and I thought it was finally time to register.
Kev, I'm amazed by your determination to get this car running perfectly. I'm sure that most people wouldn't have bothered doing the little things like the hole in the firewall, but it's the little things that matter.
I'm in Sydney too, and I'd love to see the car around. When's the next show you're going to?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:50 pm 

aussieANON wrote:
When's the next show you're going to?

It should be on display at World Time Attack, in August at Eastern Creek :D

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:24 pm 

What front spring rate do you have? Do you think a 5k/280lb would be to stiff for around town driving?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:45 pm 

250F/1100R

It's firm, but no firmer than say a set of Tein Super Streets, so still comfy enough for city driving.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:38 pm 

wow you have 1100 rears. I only have 900 rears. Would you think a 224 would be a better match for my rear rate?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:43 pm 

Yeah, 225F might be a better match for your 900 rears.

I started out with 600R, and it was waaay too soft. I basically followed the "Suzuka" spring set that Rubber-Soul sells, which IIRC is 275/1100. Pretty nice balance, still a little softer in the rear than the front, but the car seems to be happy with that.

http://rubber-soul.net/p-asimawari.htm

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:19 am 

kev wrote:
aussieANON wrote:
When's the next show you're going to?

It should be on display at World Time Attack, in August at Eastern Creek :D

are you racing there? Entry's only 50 bucks for spectators, I've gotta go!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:24 pm 

No, not racing :) There is a car show in the pits, and the Hako will be in it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 72 of 80   [ 1594 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 80  Next