#
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:11 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Mick's Mazda garage.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:43 am 

Well I thought I would post some pics of my mazda's past and present. The story starts in the early 90's when Mazda rotaries were a common find in Australia and at an affordable price for an apprentice electrician. Having owned most examples from Mazda's stable over the next 5 or 6 years (Photo's of which I will post later when I finally get around to scanning the old prints). After that I took time out from cars to travel and after finally coming back to home to Sydney I settled down with a mortgage. It didnt take long before I got the itch for a toy and it simply had to be a mazda. The search began for a familia SS a JDM spec car that didnt reach our shore, a long shot to find but worth the look. During my search nothing original turned up, only a few sta/stb sedans in different states of transformation to a replica. All of them having there good and there bad points. One particular car I viewed had potential with good running gear but a rotten body an offer was made and there was a rotary in my garage again after 10 years.

Shot at 2007-01-28

Shot at 2007-01-28

Shot at 2007-01-28

Shot at 2007-01-28

Shot at 2007-01-28

My goal was to build a highly accurate replica of a familia SS, after driving the car around for about 6 months the decision was made that the body was too far gone and a new shell would be a better option. The search turned up a tired car but virtually rust free.The shell was stripped bare and sent to the body shop and the search continued for all the parts needed to transform the car into a accurate replica.
Shot at 2012-04-13

Shot at 2012-04-13

Shot at 2012-04-13

More pics and the rest of the story to come.

Post subject: Re: Mick's Mazda garage.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 am 

Great write up Mick :tu:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:07 am 

YES! More pictures please with the rest of the story..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:55 am 

Shot at 2012-04-22

Shot at 2012-04-22

The donor car stripped and getting ready for paint and panel.

Shot at 2012-04-22

The car back from paint shop with all the familia SS mods done.

Shot at 2012-04-22

Shot at 2012-04-22

Shot at 2012-04-22

Shot at 2012-04-22

Shot at 2012-04-22

Shot at 2012-04-22

Thats a quick pic gallery of the SS the car took about two and a half years to build and I held onto it for about the same again. The car turned out a treat and got around with a lumpy 10A bridgeport. Car has now been sold and after a bit of a break I am ready for the next project details and pics next post.

Post subject: Re: Mick's Mazda garage. New project 800 estate now home.
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:38 pm 

Well the next chapter in the story begins, I have had a bit of a soft spot for the 800 estate for a while and had all but done a deal on two of them when I was mid way through building the familia. But by the time the familia was finished and I had room to bring the cars home the owner had a change of heart and the sale fell through. So the hunt began to find a another wagon. Rare? not really, Of great value? hardly, Parts readily available? no chance, Good looking car? maybe to some, Performance? bahahaha. So you may ask as I often do to myself why, why would you spend good money and valuable time trying to restore a car that has almost zero parts availability,will be worth next to nothing when finished, you could almost run faster than it and it steers and handles like a boat? Well what can I say I love a challenge and and my heart longs for mazda micro cars.

Well when I say rare not really, they are not exactly common as such and trying to find a suitable example became a little bit of a task. I got a tip that Mo had one that hadnt made it home to his stable yet. A few phone calls later and a deal had been done. Time for a road trip. Coincidently I had rang the previous owner to purchase this car only to be told it had been sold a few days earlier, strange how things work out some times.

The car while is complete, after close inspection is in need of a full resto nothing on this car looks like it wont need work. Im going to go about this resto in a unorthodox fashion and start by restoring mechanical and running gear first. Im doing this because I have no way of knowing I will be able to find or restore all parts needed to complete this project and the last thing I want is a restored shell that I have poured heaps of time and money into only to find I cant drive the thing cause I cant find mechanical parts. Twice the work but hey some might say twice the fun.

Well enough of my boring banter on to the pictures.
Shot at 2012-04-13
Shot at 2012-05-19
Shot at 2012-05-19
Shot at 2012-05-19
Shot at 2012-04-13
IMG]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4594/mick800wagon010.jpg[/IMG]
Shot at 2012-04-13

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:40 am 

:mrgreen: great cars, looking forward to seeing the wagon progress. :tu:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:43 pm 

I'd be inclined to tidy it them up and drive them as they are without a full resto. Checkout the latest Unique Cars Magazine, there are 2 Falcon GT's rough as ever but somewhat appealing because they are basically untouched from the 70s and used everyday.

Post subject: Re: Mick's Mazda garage. New project 800 estate now home.
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:40 pm 

jdm10a wrote:

Do I spy a Mazda 808 hiding in this picture...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:18 pm 

gypsy wrote:
I'd be inclined to tidy it them up and drive them as they are without a full resto. Checkout the latest Unique Cars Magazine, there are 2 Falcon GT's rough as ever but somewhat appealing because they are basically untouched from the 70s and used everyday.

surely a car of this age would need a full restoration???

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:18 am 

Amazing. I saved this 800 wagon from Crows Nest near Toowoomba back in 2004. I only sold it late last year and already it has changed hands many times. Great to see it being restored as I only sold it because it was one of many in the queue to be done.

Here is a pic of it when it was found. It was a one owner car. The white one was a 1964 and the green one is a 1965. Yes, it will need a full restoration but not as difficult as some of you may think.

2003 Lexus LS430 sedan
2011 Mazda CX7 diesel wagon
1977 Honda Z50 J1 Mini Trail
Then there are the three fire engines.......

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:32 am 

John the pics are very easy on the eye compared to the wagons true condition, But I do hope to put historic rego on it once it is up to scratch mechanically for a couple of club runs before I rip it apart for a body resto. The car has too much rust to let it go.

Kiwi 808 good eye it's only a pic I had on file from a previous owner but I think you are on the money, Ive had that pic for ages and have never noticed it.

Johnathan thanks for the info mate it's always nice to know a cars history and if you have any other pics of the wagon feel free to ad them to this thread. Did the car have rego when you got it? Im sure I seen a rego sticker in the glove box from the early 2000 but stupidly didnt check the details to see if it belonged to this car, would be nice when it's going again to be the second owner to register it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:58 pm 

RestoreMaz wrote:
I love these wagons. would love to do one flat black, mini tubbed with convo pros, with a supercharged 13b sticking up higher than the windscreen. 8)

It would actually be easier to put a Caterpillar diesel truck engine into an MX5 than a Rotary into an 800. Not much of the 800 is left when you finish, just ask anyone who has tried. Yes, it looks like it will fit but nothing standard is anywhere near up to the task of handling the power. When you have to replace everything driveline related and cut away half the floor I have to ask why would you bother? Sticking to modifying 323s, 808s and Capellas is a lot easier conversion but maybe not quite as cute? Yes, it would be a cool ride but not very practical or cost effective.

I have seen many 800s destroyed by owners trying this conversion, only to find you can buy a real RX2, RX3 or RX4 for the same if not lower cost. Each to their own, I suppose.

2003 Lexus LS430 sedan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:37 pm 

RestoreMaz wrote:
I love these wagons. would love to do one flat black, mini tubbed with convo pros, with a supercharged 13b sticking up higher than the windscreen. 8)

maybe one day after ive done my ultimate sleeper 13b turbo 121 bubble, and my black stretched 20b 1300 wagon funeral car. :twisted:

Dave I couldnt think of a better way of getting delivered to my final resting place, it would be a good little business for when you retire and we are all on our last leg.

John I know where you are coming from when you see classics like these cut up for conversions that never make it to the finish line, but I'm sure more of these gems have been left to rust in a paddock than lost to rotary conversions. Me I don't care which side of the fence one sits as long as they are loved and given a new lease on life. I personally couldn't cut one up that had half a chance of being restored to original.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:58 pm 

jdm10a wrote:
RestoreMaz wrote:

maybe one day after ive done my ultimate sleeper 13b turbo 121 bubble, and my black stretched 20b 1300 wagon funeral car. :twisted:

Dave I couldnt think of a better way of getting delivered to my final resting place, it would be a good little business for when you retire and we are all on our last leg.

John I know where you are coming from when you see classics like these cut up for conversions that never make it to the finish line, but I'm sure more of these gems have been left to rust in a paddock than lost to rotary conversions. Me I don't care which side of the fence one sits as long as they are loved and given a new lease on life. I personally couldn't cut one up that had half a chance of being restored to original.

I know of at least a half a dozen just from around Brisbane that I found out about AFTER the grinder had been used. I am happy to see cars modified or hotrod style but please finish what you start. There are just as many restorers hoarding cars, I know I am one. Hence this wagon (and a couple of others I had) got sold. I think all we want to see are the vehicles saved?

I still have an 800 ute if anyone is interested? Prefer to see it restored though as it is super rare. I have lots of NOS Mazda bits for it. PM for details.

2003 Lexus LS430 sedan

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:14 pm 

I like enthusiasts that have a vision, modified or stock. more pics please!

Dave started an 800 wags for someone a while back not sure what happened with that one? looks great with the gold b45 on the front...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14764&start=20

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:14 am 

mazdajon wrote:
I still have an 800 ute if anyone is interested? Prefer to see it restored though as it is super rare. I have lots of NOS Mazda bits for it. PM for details.

Ooo if I lived on your side of the ditch I would be dead keen on this. I don't suppose you could just post up a picture for some of us to drool over could you? Please? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:22 am 

In the endless hunt for parts to restore my estate I came across this car and bought it as a parts car.
Shot at 2012-06-23
Shot at 2012-06-24
Shot at 2012-06-24

I dont know what its future is the body is solid with only a bit of surface rust, interior trim is very good. The bad points for this car are the bright work is all gone anything that was chrome plated on the car is beyond repair, strange as the rest of the cars metal is in great condition. I know the car sat for over 20 years in an open carport so hasnt been subjected to water but to all the contaminants the air has held. The car was from just outside Newcastle in NSW Australia an industrial city with who knows what in the air. The mechanicals are all but gone, with very little needing a full overhaul. The car has also been painted quite poorly at some stage in its life being an original grey with white trim car now a period blue.

I really want to save this car but my priority is the green wagon and will only take parts from this car as a last resort and see whats left of it at the end. I might have to give this one to Dave to tub and fit a blown rotor in it. :lol:

Will keep you updated on progress on both cars.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:42 pm 

:tu: such tuff looking little cars, good luck with the build or builds maybe? will be watching the progress!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:49 pm 

Been having a fiddle with the parts car while I wait to bring the green wagon home. Thought I would see if the engine was seized like a lot of the other parts for the car are, Got the engine turned over by hand and thought we would put a battery on it and see what happens. To my surprise the starter cranked and the engine turned over. I decided to put some fuel down the carbi, and with no much effort the car started to my surprise.

http://youtu.be/cqWKrR6phTQ

Will I couldnt stop there so over the next couple of days I drained the tank and put some fresh fuel in and pulled the carbi off the manifold and gave it a clean. To my surprise the car started and held idle with ease fuel pump a bit noise but worked none the less. There appears to be no reason from the engine bay why this car was parked up 25 years ago but I really didnt think the engine was in any condition to run it looks like its pulled from a swamp.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:57 am 

any updates? :P

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next