#
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:35 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: 1970 Datsun SPL311 Roadster
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:47 am 

I figured I'd post up my cars story and some pictures since I've been on here for a while now. I bought it a little over a year ago, I was looking for a fun project so I'd leave my subaru alone for a bit. I've always liked Datsun 510 and 240z's and remeber as a young kids seeing a roadster and couldn't believe it was a datsun. My family has alway been into cars and have had a number of hot rods growing up and would spend friday nights at the Big Daddy's drive-in in Auburn Washington to look at all the hot rods. After I got a little older I was drawn towards Japanese cars, I loved that there was a whole other world of cool cars that I had never seen before.

So one day looking through the local car add I saw the roadster for sale, it's not common to see them for sale here in Utah. It was priced way to high so I moved on but would check on it every once and while to see if it had sold yet. After a while I noticed the price was dropping about $500 a week so it got down to a reasonable price. I called the guy to come check it out. Over all it was in good shape, it had a new paint job and was about 90% done but there was quite a few minor issues that I knew would add up so I gave him an offer and he said no. Well a week later he called and said if i was still interested I could come pick it up. He was moving to Chicago and needed it gone immediately, he wasn't going to have it shipped there. So I said yes, and have been loving it ever since.

Here are a few pictures of it from the ad and the day that i picked it up.

The first order of business was to get rid of the 6 ft antenna and put on some fender mirrors. I then installed Comp racing springs and short bumpstops to get rid of the 5 inch fender gap and find some wheel that didn't look like they belonged on a military vehicle.

After that I was in search for some vintage JDM wheels. I soon realized that finding wheels for the roadster was a daunting task, being limited by the rear fenders, the wheels had to be just the perfect width and offset in the back but be staggered up front to clear the sway bar. Finding a set of staggered vintage wheels was near impossible. After months of searching I realized it wasn't going to happen, and that I would have to run spacers so I decided to buy a set of 3 piece Black Racing wheels and have them shipped over from Indonesia. They were a bit rough when they showed up so I spend the next couple of weeks restoring them. I sand blasted them and powder coated them red baron red, sanded the lips forever and polished them and bought new hardware. With the right spacers I managed to get them to fit in the rear with just a few mm to spare and larger spacer up front to clear the say bar.

I found out the side marker lights weren't working so I rewired them and swapped them out with clear lights from a 510. I also added some amber fogs and clear turn signals from a older roadster. I'm that the exterior is look good I'm starting under the hood, I powder coated the valve cover and filter cover light blue, like the original Nissan oil filters. Put in a new distributor, polisher thermostat housing and have been replace gaskets. I think over the winter I'll pull the engine and wire tuck it and paint the engine bay and who knows maybe a engine swap.

Last edited by aclever1 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 1970 Datsun SPL311 Roadster
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:01 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Damn she looks good. And you got lucky that the new paint the PO did was good paint. See too many cars with bad paint jobs.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:08 pm 

Nice looking car. Who says you need staggered wheels for a roadster? Thats crazy. I run 14x5.5 Libres, 14x6.5 Hayashi Command 500s, and 14x7 Panasports and the only way I have very minor contact with the swaybar is if Im runng 225s on the Panasports (0 offset). Having staggered wheels is silly since you can't rotate the tires.

Will

'87 BMW M3

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:44 pm 

Yeah I wouldn't run a staggered width unless I decided to do a 8"+ wheel in the rear, but I think that is too much wheel and tire for up front. It would track and follow every line on the road and it really just isn't practical. To get the fit i liked it needed to be a staggered offset and that is just easier to do with spacers and then I can rotate the wheels and tires.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:06 pm 

I recently bought a stock 1970 Datsun Roadster. I found a set of Panasport 15x7 Wheels. Will they fit my car? What size wheels are the ones you bought from Indonesia?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:05 pm 

NW1600 wrote:
I recently bought a stock 1970 Datsun Roadster. I found a set of Panasport 15x7 Wheels. Will they fit my car? What size wheels are the ones you bought from Indonesia?

Mine are a 15x7 with a 32 offset but I'm running a 20 mm spacer in the back and 15 mm spacer in the front, so it's a 12 offset rear and 17 front. Every roadster is different but a 12 to 15 offset on a 7 inch wide wheels is pretty safe and good fit.

What are the offsets of the wheels your got?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:43 pm 

I currently have stock wheels installed. What Tire Size are you running on your 15x7 Wheels?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:45 pm 

I have Falken 512's in a 185/55/15. I would have liked a little less side wall but I also didn't want to increase the fender gap.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]