#
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Local Laws concerning car modifications
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:44 am 

after getting my car ordered of the road for the modifications it has, i though i would start this thread to see what kind of laws we all face day to day when it comes to modifying our cars. ive always been interested to see how strict/ relaxed/ different laws are around the world. we all see so many awesome cars on the internet and ive always been curios as to whether the owners of the amazing cars actually follow their local laws or just give "THE MAN" the finger and roll round with out giving a stuff.

post up what hoops you have to jump through, what has to be done to get your pride and joy on the road. will be cool to compare different laws from around the world

cheers,

leppa

Post subject: Re: Local Laws concerning car modifications
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:37 am 

Everything is illegal here.
If the Police stop you and you have an aftermarket exhaust they will impound your car for a month and hit you with a heavy fine.
In the neighbouring Emirate of Sharjah (same country) they will permanently confiscate your car with no hope of getting it back if you have as little as an aftermarket exhaust or aftermarket air filter.... and hit you with a heavy fine.
Abu Dhabi is bringing in a similar ruling next month.

Some people are lucky and get their car through registration but others are not so lucky.
Any mods mean big risk and the more obvious the mods the bigger the risk.

Apparently there is no problem with putting Lambo doors or 20 inch chromed neon spinners on your car....

None of this matters if you have Wasta*. If you have Wasta* you can do what you want.

*Wasta - local word for power and influence.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:44 am 

dirtyleppa wrote:
post up what hoops you have to jump through... to get your pride and joy on the road.

None, thankfully. 8)

If I want to drive it just occasionally, I can get an antique plate and no one ever even looks at the car. :P

If I want to drive it daily, I have to get a "state inspection" once a year. Which means the lights, brakes, horn, and wipers have to work. Other than that I'm free to do anything I want to it. :tu:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:21 am 

Texas, still the lawless State.
Not jealous.
No Sir.
Not much.... :(

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:46 am 

john wrote:
dirtyleppa wrote:
post up what hoops you have to jump through... to get your pride and joy on the road.

None, thankfully. 8)

If I want to drive it just occasionally, I can get an antique plate and no one ever even looks at the car. :P

If I want to drive it daily, I have to get a "state inspection" once a year. Which means the lights, brakes, horn, and wipers have to work. Other than that I'm free to do anything I want to it. :tu:

serious? damn you lucky bastards. suppose its different state to state, but not having to worry about modifications being illegal would be a nice change of pace, and a lot less stressful. also cheaper in the scheme of things

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:07 pm 

dirtyleppa wrote:
serious? damn you lucky bastards. suppose its different state to state, but not having to worry about modifications being illegal would be a nice change of pace, and a lot less stressful. also cheaper in the scheme of things

Technically, there are "rules" for the daily driver plates. Any emissions equipment that it had from the factory is supposed to be in place and functioning. But the flip side of that is the inspectors never actually know what the car is supposed to have, so as long as any modifications look somewhat "factory", or anything you take off looks like it was never on there originally (charcoal canister, smog pump, etc.), you're fine.

Also, installing a newer engine means you have to pass the emissions standards for the year the engine was made. But again, none of the inspectors actually know what engine the car is supposed to have, so... :P

And with the rolling 24-year-exemption from smog testing, that means that right now I can swap in an engine as new as a 1988 model and still not have to legally pass smog.

Thankfully, 90% of the inspectors in my town don't even open the hood on the smog-exempt cars. :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:09 pm 

john wrote:
dirtyleppa wrote:

Technically, there are "rules" for the daily driver plates. Any emissions equipment that it had from the factory is supposed to be in place and functioning. But the flip side of that is the inspectors never actually know what the car is supposed to have, so as long as any modifications look somewhat "factory", or anything you take off looks like it was never on there originally (charcoal canister, smog pump, etc.), you're fine.

Also, installing a newer engine means you have to pass the emissions standards for the year the engine was made. But again, none of the inspectors actually know what engine the car is supposed to have, so... :P

And with the rolling 24-year-exemption from smog testing, that means that right now I can swap in an engine as new as a 1988 model and still not have to legally pass smog.

Thankfully, 90% of the inspectors in my town don't even open the hood on the smog-exempt cars. :tu: :mrgreen:

sounds pretty similar to Utah, but our cutoff for being smog exempt is 1967. 68 and newer you need to pass smog, no matter what (as long as you live in the city. out in the middle of nowhere, they don't even require emissions testing.)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:22 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

opelboy76 wrote:
sounds pretty similar to Utah, but our cutoff for being smog exempt is 1967. 68 and newer you need to pass smog, no matter what (as long as you live in the city. out in the middle of nowhere, they don't even require emissions testing.)

Not quite :) If you get historic plates (which means weekend driving or car shows) you just have to pass safety. To get historic plates that car needs to be 30 years or older. So my 80 Corolla does not have to worry about smog unless I want standard plates.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:11 pm 

not to be a jerk but where i live in the mountains of colorado,we have no smog check, no inspection. the state law says no altering of suspension, but here you will see a datsun 521 draggin frame one minute,then see a lifted diesel with 40" tires hummin down the road. as long as your neighbor or local busy body wont call the pd you can run almost open headers. :lol: i guess thats 1 good thing about livin in the sticks lol :D but i do understand why we have these laws just greatful that we here are able to do basicly what we want

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]