#
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Windshield wipers half way thru their stroke?
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:11 pm 

sorry for the akward title, ive been searching for an answer to my question with the "Google" as well as on here but i cant find my answer, or my verbage is garbage. thats why cameras invented pictures

i went to JCCA in january here in tokyo and i noticed a lot of the cars had their wipers up, is there any significance to this?
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 6571_n.jpg
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 6991_n.jpg

here is the link to all the pix i took if your interested in old school stuff, maybe? dont be massively impressed by my iphone pictures :)
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 821aeb6ff9

it interests me so i would like to know if there is a real meaning behind it. just like just like when people say the cute little stuffed animal hanging from a tow hook is a "drift charm", but thats a rant saved for another day

thanks in advance for the help

Post subject: Re: Windshield wipers half way thru their stroke?
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:45 pm 

is there any significance to this?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:08 pm 

Yes :)

Above 160km/h the wind resistance can overcome the wiper mechanisms, and start to push the wipers up the screen. So after a couple of hi-speed laps of your favourite circuit, the wipers are at 45degs across your field of vision. Many older cars have non-parking wipers, so when you turn them off, the wipers stop where they stop. So if you are going to the track, you can park the wipers upright, which takes care of the problem.

Some period race cars sometimes can be seen with the wipers upright, and on the Hako's first trackday, yes, after a few laps the wipers were at 45degs across the screen. Funnily enough, in every subsequent trackday, I've forgotten about it and left the wipers at the bottom of the screen and it's been fine....

But I guess in Japan, parking the wipers upright is sorta to look like you're a badass who did 160+km/h on the way to the meet :D (or...more charitably, it is a respectful nod to period racing practice). So you often see classic cars in Japan with the upright wiper thing.

And I guess if the JDM does it, then you can bet that we will too :D

....and for the record, it was a total mystery to me too, until the wipers started creeping up the windscreen down the straight at my first trackday, and then the penny dropped :D

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:19 pm 

Thanks a bunch Kev. Time to get my JDM fan boy on

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]