#
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 13   [ 243 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Bellet of the ball!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:59 am 

The 7AFE and 3SGE are two completely different motors though arent they? Probably abit like comparing the 289w to the 429 Boss...

The 3S's are a good motor but its still bound to give you all sorts of headaches going in

Daily 78 Isuzu Gemini Sedan, stock G161z, Rodeo EFI, 500hp roller, 157rwkw. Fun :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:21 am 
Mild Cam

David, I have a rebuild kit for an Impulse engine. It's yours if you pay shipping and promise to use it. Hit me with a PM for more details.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:17 am 

Dave,

Here is that photo I mentioned.
I fixed it up a little.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:56 am 

cdtpf60 wrote:
nick he already has a 1800 ohc motor,just not a g180z like we use...............

as feared has said the g180w(twin cam) shares bearings with the cross flow g180 that come out in gemini's and rodeo's - your motor shares the bottom end as the twin cam

A bit late - I can confirm this, bought a Twin Hitachi'd 1.8 SOHC years ago (out of a JDM commercial vehicle I was told - I actually put the crank and pistons from it into a G161Z!), they are the same block - distributor hole for the Bellet version welsh plugged up on the DOHC, DOHC still runs the Side Cam (for oil pump from memory).

Hey, aren't the 1.8 Diesels similar block aswell?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:04 am 

& I'd Love to have one of these, keep up your good work. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:56 am 

wtf mike you'vre turned to the nissan side :shock: 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:15 pm 

Yeah he sold out on us a while ago paul.

Good to see ur still alive mike, thought ud disapeared :lol: Refer to your pm's I want it, give me a god-damn price and go get the damn thing!

Daily 78 Isuzu Gemini Sedan, stock G161z, Rodeo EFI, 500hp roller, 157rwkw. Fun :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:55 am 

Nakazoto wrote:
It also makes a nice place to stand...

... or hide!

Well known look, pal!!! A lot of very much alike parts with Florian in yours Bellett

Nissan Skyline PC110, G18, 1800 GL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:24 pm 

Location: Taytay..Miami,Texas,New Orleans,Italy, France,Germany,Spain, Mexico..etc...next year Asia JAPAN..
Nice Bellet man..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:38 pm 

After reading through the 360 build I can't wait to see how this turns out! Looking good so far!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Any updates on this?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:03 am 

Alrighty, time to come back from the dead!
This update's for you UtahSleeper, thanks for inspiring me to get out there and get something done!

Between winter, a Nissan March Super Turbo and a Honda Dream 50, the Bellet unfortunately got ignored for far too long. But she wasn't completely ignored. I was consistently thinking about engines. I wanted something that had plentiful parts, could still be easily registered and was Isuzu. So I bought a G180Z. Still a single cam but now a cross flow head design. Shouldn't really make anymore power, but full rebuild kits for this engine are still readily available in the US as this was the 4 cylinder that came in the Chevy Luv pickup!

So, even though I had this engine stuffed away in my garage, the rest of the garage was in no condition for working on cars in. So the first step was to clean this mess up!

Much better!

My first goal of the day was to get the doors off. Actually, my first goal was to get the front fenders off, but the doors had to come off for that to happen, haha.

These things were crazy heavy!

Both doors off!

And a nice big gaping hole is the result!

The doors used the really ingenious pieces of steel to act as both the spring that keeps the door open and as the stop to keep it from being overextended. Such a simple design, I love it!

Now it was time for the fenders. These things were ridiculous. Most fenders are held on with 8 or 9 bolts and that's it. These fenders were held on with 16 bolts! As if that wasn't enough, they were also glued on! In this shot you can see the line of bolts holding the fender on behind where the door sits. This is why the doors had to come off.

After some serious tugging and work to get the fenders to break loose from the glue, I finally got one off!

The body actually looks really good behind it with no obvious signs of cancer!

Finally got both fenders off. The bulk of the rust on this car is now localized in this picture. The bottom of both fenders rusted out and were poorly patched with fiberglass. This is the kind of fix that you see all too often on old cars here.

Got the door strikers and what not off as well.

Then I set into the trunk, pulling off the hardware and the lid itself.

And that was where I ran out of steam. It's time to start the tedious process of sanding and prepping for paint! Although there's still one of two things I need to remove first.

Hopefully the next update will be much sooner!
Thanks again guys!

Cheers
David

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:22 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Glad she is still around and is going to get the attention your mitsu did :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:25 am 

nice to see some more work happening to her! Just remember that the later isuzu engine isnt a straight bolt in, the guys on bellett.net would probably be able to help with mounting it. (not sure if the origional g/box will bolt up either?). Cant wait to see some more updates!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:46 am 

as mrflibbes said....
this is far from a bolt in engine. trust me, i know from doing this very conversion TWICE, and practically NOTHING is close to what a standard Bellett uses.
my current Bellett race car uses this exact engine.

just quickly, the swap needs:
engine mounts must be fab'd from scratch. this also must take into account the alternator mounting and the oil filter (read below).
firewall and tunnel mods are needed.
the usual wiring and plumbing changes.
standard gearbox WILL NOT bolt up, so u need a gearbox to match. and depending on which gearbox used means possible gearbox mount fab'ing too.
different gearbox means headaches with clutch mechanisms coz nothing is even similar between them....
oil filter must be remote mounted as it sits exactly where the engine mount sits, so more fab work!
can't tell what sump (oil pan) it has tho, coz some fit and some don't....

obviously it can be done, and as said, they are easy to get parts for and respond well to the usual hot-up tricks, but they certainly aren't a swap over in a weekend job or one to be tackled by those without experience in doing conversions beforehand.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:09 am 

If I can find a good rebuild kit for the G180SS, then I'll most likely stick with that and hang on to the other engine for a rainy day. Unfortunately, I can't find anything for that engine, still got a few resources to grill for information though. Regardless of what happens with the engine, there's some very important body stuff to handle first!

First thing was to get the brake lines out of the engine bay so it can be ground down and painted properly.

Next up was the exhaust. Even though my garage is quite small, I still managed to manhandle this beast out of the car as a single piece!

It's surprisingly lightweight for being a plain jane exhaust system.

Next up was to remove the two quarter window pieces to make it easier to paint those difficult bits that are covered up by them.

The quarter window weatherstripping was pooched though! The passenger side looked like it had completely melted at one point in time!

Look at that nastiness!

Now these were awesome, I was really surprised at how ingenious these were. "These" would be the two door courtesy switches.

Now they were threaded into the steel and this is how they normally look.

If you look closely, it sort of looks like a screw head. That's because it is! You push the courtesy switch in with a screwdriver that then slots into the head. Then you just unscrew it like normal!

Pulled out a lot of sound deadening stuff that was just in awful shape. Not sure what I'm going to do about this stuff when it comes time to go back together...

The interior courtesy light was actually really cool too. The switch mechanism (like everything on this car) was so ingeniously simple, I was stunned. It's just a simple lever that pivots at the base and is connected to the switch (which moves laterally) via a spring and that's it! You move the switch, the spring stretches and the lever pops over to the next contact. So simple!

Popped out the rear interior panels while I was tooling around in the interior.

The interior is just about ready for a date with the grinder!

I started masking things up in preparation for my grinding session. Wanted to protect both the glass and the rubber.

The headliner is actually in really good shape and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to remove it without destroying it. So I got a bunch of newspaper and tape and just masked it off along with the dash and the glass!

So I started my grinding on the front rockers thinking that they looked far too solid for a car of this age. I was right, there is definite evidence of rust here and there appears to be new steel. This at first made me pretty happy, but then I ground through a little more of the bondo and red flags started flying at me in numbers that were slightly uncomfortable.

Yup, you're seeing that right. Instead of cutting out the old rust, the guys who did the blue paint job instead just cut out steel and screwed it in place. Yes screws...

Fortunately, that means that the basic shape still remains behind the crappy rust fix, which makes it easier for Sugi-san at Classic Car Nagoya to build new steel in the proper shape to weld in.

So far we need new steel at the front of the rocker panels and at the bottom of both front fenders. We'll see what other surprises I find as my grinding continues, hopefully none, haha.

Thanks again guys for looking!
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Nice progress. Sucks about the crappy repair of rust though. Atleast it will be fixed right this time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:36 pm 

I'm so glad to see progress being made on this car. Things are looking good! Well, most of it, hehe.

I actually got kind of used to the idea of it having a Mazda BP engine, but then you came with that "new" Isuzu replacement. It was weird... but either way, I like to see that the original feeling and character of the Bellett will be retained.

I love this car. Good luck with the project!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:00 am 

Why not a G180W or G200W from an 117 coupe? should be a much easier conversion and easy enough to get parts for..

1988 Mitsubishi Starion GSR-VR widebody

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:05 am 

Thanks for the comments!
The engine thing is all up in the air at the moment due to, well, you guessed it, money. The body work is going to cost me much more than I anticipated and with other life obligations getting in the way, money is waning thin for hunting down a proper bellhousing, a rebuild kit, a good intake manifold and set of headers, a whole new exhaust, welding that will invariably have to happen, etc. It's getting to the point to where after the paint job and SOHC engine swap, I would be up to the price of a nice Bellet 1600 GTR. So, that whole engine insanity will have to get a proper rethink once the body is finished.

So I keep talking about body work, but what exactly am I talking about? Well, the bottom of each front fender is rusted through and was poorly covered in fiber glass, the front of both rocker panels has patches screwed in, the passenger shock tower has a rather large and alarming patched screwed in, the top of the driver rocker has yet another patch screwed in and the bottom of the passenger rear fender has some cancer holes. That's just the rusty bits. I could never figure out why the hood and trunk had a sort of maroon color hiding under the blue but no where else on the car did. Then I saw that there are a total 5 spots on the roof of the car that have bondo filled dents. Something fell on this poor thing (or the previous owner had a seriously malicious ex-girlfriend). The hood and trunk panels are replacement pieces!

So, ya, fixing all that is going to take a lot of work, the first step of which is removing all that very terrible blue paint. So, I went and bought some chemical paint remover and an electric sander and got to work!

The roof after stripping a bit of the paint away. All the white spots are bondo! That's a lot of dents!

Driver side rear fender mostly stripped. You can see some bondo stuck on here as well. That will have to be removed to see if there's rust underneath and then either fixed or re-bondo'd.

Then I hit that panels just behind the glass. This, mercifully, was in really solid shape.

Here you can see what the chemical does to the paint.

And here after I wiped the blue paint off and sanded it smooth!

And that's it for now, but I have a long weekend coming up, so expect a lot more fun soon!

Cheers
David

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 13   [ 243 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next