#
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:53 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 1967 Toyota Crown MS47 Wagon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:02 am 

I am mega excited to be posting about my latest acquisition, a 1967 MS47 Crown wagon.

There had been much discussion on the forums and at club meetings about this nice old Crown wagon at Centre Rd Wreckers that needed saving. I didn't think much of it, assuming it was a rusty bugger or in dire straits, if it had made it to the wreckers.

Then on a sunny Thursday afternoon, with a does of the CBF's at work, I decided to go for a wander around the wreckers yard to see what was new. It was then I came upon this beauty. It was straight, almost completely rust free, and just too good to be sitting in the wreckers slowly getting pulled apart. I had to have it, especially as I have been dreaming of Crown wagon ownership for many years now...

So within 24 hours I had convinced the better half that it should come home with me, then gone back to the wreckers, did the deal and then towed it home.

Here she is on the trailer:

In the glove box Hendo had found this note

So naturally I called Don. Old bloke and was happy to have a chat. I didn't quite work out how the car got to the wreckers, but given the Manheims sticker on the window, I guess he sold it at auction, and the wrecker bought it.

He had owned it for the last 25 years and it had sat in his shed all that time! It was going to be a project he said, but he just never got around to doing anything.

That makes this sticker the last time it was registered I suspect!

He told a tale of getting it off someone he knew, who had got it from someone else when it was left in a workshop. The story was a bit muddled, but he invited me to go visit to collect some bits he still had for it, so I will try and get the story straight then.

He also told me he had rebuilt the engine bottom end, using a different block, and that he put in a different auto transmission as well, which led to him changing the gear indicator on the steering column. Clearly its a bit ass about!

Anyways, today I spent the morning getting to know my Crown a little better.

This how she looked pre-washing

Inside

That yellow shit you can see in the last photo is all the seat foam disintegrating and falling on the floor.

This is how she looks after a wash, which isn't really a lot different but its a bit better. A cut and polish is going to work wonders though!

I was so stoked to find these buried in the foam pile under the front seat last night

They meant that I could test the electric back window this morning, which to my joy goes up and down with a turn of the key, just like its meant to! If you read the writing, its the RACV membership from 1979, indicating the owner had been a member since 1966, and the original rego was KGE751.

Still has its membership sticker

And has this bit of history on the passenger rear window too

Here is an engine bay shot.

And here is the ultimate goal

So the plan is something along these lines:

Clean up interior and retrim seats
Overhaul brakes
Replace missing bits in the engine bay and see if she will fire up
Cut and polish
Find missing side trims, or remove them all
Slam it
Fit Hiace front disks

Cruise.

There is a few bits missing - steering wheel, grille, side trims, radio blanking plate, coil, radiator, badges - so if any one has any of these or spots them, I would be eternally grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

KE15 SL Sprinter - KE10 Corolla - TA22 Celica - KE35 Corolla Club Racer - AE71 Corolla

Post subject: Re: 1967 Toyota Crown MS47 Wagon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:45 pm 

congrats on the purchase

after all these year, the number of the contact person you found in the glove box still valid, interesting, so did you get any parts from the guy? I think it's a nice feeling when you get to know a little bit of history of your car :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 am 

The last owner only sold it pretty recently, so its no surprise that his contact details worked!

Speaking of the old owner, I went and visited Don this afternoon. Lovely old bloke.

He gave me a stash of parts that he thought he should hold on to rather than send to the auction house. Given the pillaging that had occurred before I got to it, I am rather glad he did!

Scored hub caps in great condition, a tool bag, brand new windscreen and windscreen rubber, chrome trims for the windscreen and a plastic wind deflector. Oh and the spare wheel.

He also gave me the owners manual, the service booklet and a Crown workshop manual.

Service booklet tells me she started life as someone's company car in 1967, with NSW rego EPC986

Then there is this receipt for its purchase in 1969 for the sum of $2060.80.

Not quite sure what that receipt is about, because then there is this letter a few days later - May 1969 - confirming its registration in Victoria as KGE751.

Then Mrs Armstrong got some head work done in 1980 on the old girl at Bill Moxon Autos, who coincidentally I use to get all my roadworthys done!

Service receipt in 1981, mileage at 97323 miles.

Mileage now is 02558. So she has done 102558 miles, the last 5000 of which have taken 31 years!!

Don had it in his garage for the last 25 or so years, and he bought it off Mrs Armstrong. Apparently her son had decided to do the engine up, and then never finished it as he moved to Darwin. So Don bought it for $200 and put it back together. After that it had an oil pressure problem, and it sat in his garage.

Recently he decided it was time to move it on, so he donated it to the RACV's Cars for Kids program that auctions old cars for a kids charity. They sold it for $430, and that is where Centre Rd Wreckers got hold of it.

He was quite pleased it was going to live again, and I promised him I would bring it back to show him when its done.

KE15 SL Sprinter - KE10 Corolla - TA22 Celica - KE35 Corolla Club Racer - AE71 Corolla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:08 pm 

Very cool find. I have two of these 67 wagons, so if you want parts, I have lots!

78 Levin Corolla GT (JDM)
78 Datsun 810 Wagon
79 Corona Liftback
81 Isuzu P'up Diesel
83 Maxima 5-Speed
88 Corolla FX16 GT-S
89 Civic LX
90 Miata and a 59 Edsel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:18 pm 

Kujira you might be a lifesaver!!

I am after some bits and pieces you might be able to help with - I posted in this thread here

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18280

I might send you a PM too :)

Cheers

Adam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:04 am 

I bought a Ozito polisher today, and grabbed some cheap cutting compound to see how she would come up. I am quite pleased with the result.

Half polished roof

Shiny bonnet

Some what better tailgate

Also tried to get her to kick over. She winds over, but there was no firing.

Might be because I wired up the coil wrong... does any one have a photo of how a coil should be wired up in one of these?

Could also be 25 year old fuel not having any kick in it!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:12 am 

Drain old fuel first and put fresh one in :) It will help (I bought car after draining fuel it was dark green colour :))
Check engine for spark.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:52 am 

So rather than making me spend months searching for elusive Crown parts online, fate decided that it would be easier to drop another Crown into my lap!

This was advertised on gumtree on Thursday morning for $200, and after initially thinking I would try and buy some bits off him, I decided it would be easier to just go and get the bugger. So I called the old bloke who had it in his paddock and begged him not to sell it until I got there Sunday morning. He was happy to do so, and so I went and collected it this morning

So this is what we found in the paddock.. apparently sitting in the paddock since sometime in the 90's. Rather rusty by 2012!

This one is a manual 3 speed with overdrive.

Plan is to strip the bits I need off it and then send it to the great scrap metal gods.. unless of course someone wants what is left!

Here are a couple of instagram art shots just for fun.

One Crown good.. Two Crowns better...

Ratrodders would love the moss...

And the lichen

I reckon I would have paid $200 just for a steering wheel!

Awesome badge

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:37 am 

nice find.. I will surely wait for this project..a tale to tell..old cars do aged like wine..this is priceless and when you see the day that this car ressurected its like seing your first born... :D :D

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:54 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Forget ratrodders, I love the moss and the lichen. You need to figure out how to transfer to the nice shiny one! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:44 pm 
Administrator

fortunate you found the donor car ... the toyota gods must smiling down on you :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:16 pm 

Lucky u!
Good luck to achieve your ultimate goal!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:55 am 

Now that my bathroom renos are approaching finished.. its time to get serious about the Crown.

I put it on stands today, and got the wheels off so I could get the wheel cylinders off and re-sleeved.

Turns out Don must have done the brakes at some point while it was sitting in his shed.

Front linings are brand new.

Rear wheel cylinders look like they were brand new too. I am still going to take them to get sleeved as I don't imagine sitting for 20 years has done them any good.

He must have put a brand new muffler on it too. It still has the part sticker on it.. and now plenty of rust!!

Says Toyota Masterline on it, which is what they called the wagons in Japan I think.

I also pulled the fuel tank out while she was up in the air. As it turns out wreckers drain the old fuel from a fuel tank by putting a 30mm hole saw through the bottom of the tank :( I only worked this out when I went to put some fuel in it and it quickly ended up on the shed floor! So out she comes to be patched and welded up....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:00 pm 

Wooo you started!

Can't wait too see it looking $$

Will go for a cruise together some day fo sho,

What are your plans with lowering it?

AJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:51 am 

AJ

Suspension will be a combo of lowered front springs (ford falcon springs are the same, so will get falcon superlows), and lowering blocks on the rear.

Will do the shocks if they need it, but trying to do it on the cheap!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:41 am 

I am sooooo ʞ©$ɟing stoked today!

I put my fuel tank back in after it was repaired and tipped some fuel in.

With the help of one of my club mates Rob (thanks Rob!!), lots of start ya bastard and fuel down the carb, she fired! It took the grunt of the battery out of my work ute to get it firing, but once she was going, she settled down to an almost perfect idle. I couldn't believe how good it was considering its sat for nearly 30 years!

The bypass pipe was cracked so I will need to replace that, and I need to get a top hose, since the one I got out of the Gates catalogue was no where near the right size or shape.

I also managed to get my reco radiator into it and do the thermostat, and put the brake master cylinder and wheels cylinders on and bled up the brakes.

My carpet arrived from Trufit, so its time to attack the interior too. The seats need to come out for retrimming, and I wil do the carpet while they are out.

Mechanically I want to put a transmission cooler on it, and lower it. Will replace the leads and dizzy cap too.

Cosmetically I need to work out a way to fit the chrome trims back down the side since all the stud plates have rusted away, and then put the grille back into it.

I feel like its not far away now!!

In other news the parts car went to the scrappers today. Thanks to Brent for taking it away for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:04 pm 

Wooo well done on starting it up

And ooo thanks for the ford falcon springs info... i might get some for myself

Are you keeping the original radio or upgrading?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:37 am 

mine didn't come with a radio

i will install something... or i might do another suitcase stereo like i have in my vw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:11 pm 

Gee its a while since I updated this post... let me backtrack some!!

An update of sorts from 21/1/13....

My wheels are getting painted currently... am waiting for some carpet underlay to arrive... and new seatbelts... and the side trim clips.... still got to hook up the trans cooler, install a battery... get a new exhaust... put the interior back in..... find some fender mirrors....get it inspected for club rego....fit the sunvisor... fit some roof racks i grabbed at the wreckers today...get new tyres....fit new seat belts....

It ain't happening for hanging rock :(

it is starting to sound like serious over capitlisation too..... just like usual for one of my projects!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:13 pm 

24/1/13 update

Its progress week this week... parts are coming in :)

15" rims.. 2 x EB ford falcon rims for the rear - a bit of offset to give the illusion of width... and 2 x Hyundai i30 rims on the front to make it look more narrow. They need a spacer to clear the balljoints on full droop, but should be ok. Tyres and whitewalls to come :)

And here is a shabby photo of one of my new seat belts from a supplier called hemco in australia who custom make seat belts. good product and fast service - getting too rare these days that kind of thing!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next