#
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Repro GT-Kai badge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:32 am 

Hey guys,

There's been talk on here before about the GT-Kai badges...
Most recently here I think: http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15739&p=137340&hilit=kai#p137340

I know these are few and far between and there were at least a couple people who posted that they'd love to have one for their car.
Has anyone on here actually bought some for their car?

Since they seem to be in short supply, I think I am going to make repro ones.

I'm a digital modeler in the auto design industry so I make this kind of stuff all the time. I will be doing this on the side after work hours so don't expect it to be done over night...
Before we get into the details of what the finished product will be made of, how much it would cost, etc I need to build a 3d file for it.
And to do this I need good reference...

Good: If the badge is already on their car, can you take a good dead-on picture outside in good sunlight? macro please with minimal lens distortion plz
Better: If the badge hasn't been installed yet, can its owner put it on a flatbed scanner and send me a pic of it?
Best: If someone has the "Kai" character in a identical or very very close font on yr PC/MAC, and you happen to have Adobe Illustrator you could send me a file with that type character "converted to outlines"...

I'll measure the rear "GT-R" badge on my car for all the other dimensions to make sure it comes out exactly identical.

Let me know,

-e

Post subject: Re: Repro GT-Kai badge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:57 pm 

I've seen those badges around, but never understood the history behind them. Can you shed some light on what they mean and where they came from?

Post subject: Re: Repro GT-Kai badge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:55 pm 

amorphiss wrote:
I've seen those badges around, but never understood the history behind them. Can you shed some light on what they mean and where they came from?

Kai basically means "modified". In Japan, if your car is modified, it often has to wear a "kai" number plate.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]