#
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:24 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 13 of 17   [ 322 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1978 323 wagon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm 

I fiddled around with them on the way to work this morning.. Once I had them set better it almost eliminates the blind spot. As soon as the car leaves the mirror you can spot it without turning your head. (Just hope noone brushes past the car and moves them)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:21 pm 

Hi Tim you should just strip the paint off your wheels then polish the outer lip :) they would look like simmons wheels then :tu:
Cheers Greg.

Post subject: Re: 1978 323 wagon engine woes again!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:16 pm 

myold323 wrote:
Hi Tim you should just strip the paint off your wheels then polish the outer lip :) they would look like simmons wheels then :tu:
Cheers Greg.

I was thinking about this actually. It just depends on how well the repaired metal blends into the original bit.

So the plan today was to get the roof smoothed back and give it a wash before a car show tomorrow. I decided to take the scenic route home when I got a quiet whiring noise about 5 min from home. I revved it accelerating just near home and it started ticking :( It was a pretty slow tick, at idle maybe every 2 seconds. I thought it must have been a valve or something. I pulled off the valve cover to check what was going on - the timing chain guide had worked itself loose. Looked like such a pain to tighten up both bolts without taking off the timing cover. It looked like the tensioner was still in place. That could explain the noise?
As I spun the engine over by hand I noticed this! Thankful for double row timing chains!
Ive got another chain somewhere, just a bit of a pain to pull the engine out again! I'm very lucky it happened today near home, and not tomorrow halfway up a mountain pass (and I haven't renewed my roadside assistance)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:53 am 
JNC Enthusiast

:shock: lucky!

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:53 pm 

ewokracing wrote:
:shock: lucky!

Yes. Very lucky! If it had happened at any other time I think it would have snapped and eaten up the engine.

Ok so

Sunday: Order gaskets.

Monday: Pull out engine. Find loose bolt in the sump, and a missing bolt on the chain guide. Hmmmm. It's just above the timing chain.

The cam sprocket is leaning on the top of the two guides in this picture. It's the far side that had the missing bolt, and it would drop straight into the chain/bottom sprocket. A massive coincidence that the link that happened to break was the different colored one with the timing mark on it!

I forgot to leave the water pump bolted on so I need a new water pump gasket, and the intake manifold has been leaking coolant again so another one of those is needed too.

Said bolt
Loose guide - Upside down. The other bolt was hanging by a few threads..

(Sorry for dodgy photos - need to charge the camera)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:45 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

You've got patience Tim, I think I would have put a dust cover over the wagon and gone and thrown rocks at cats or something by now.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 pm 

ewokracing wrote:
You've got patience Tim, I think I would have put a dust cover over the wagon and gone and thrown rocks at cats or something by now.

Dont you mean throw cats at rocks?

It doesnt seem to annoy me that much anymore. (At least when I have the right parts to fix it). Ive pulled the engine out and apart that many times, I could tell you every sized head on every bolt while doing it in my sleep...

If I was further from home and it went ka-boom it might be a different story..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:42 pm 

Thursday 19th
Got some bits today. Head, sump and timing cover gaskets. I borrowed a torque wrench from a mate and I picked up a high mount brake light for the back. I also thought I got some yellow T-10 bulbs for the parkers, but I think they turned out to be amber
Might have time Friday night/Saturday morning to get stuck into it.

I had a bit of time Friday afternoon to clean off all the crud from the old gaskets.

Then Saturday morning I put on the new(er) timing chain and lined up all the timing marks. The hope was to get the timing cover bolted on and possibly the head.

I decided to do the bolts on the timing chain guide up a bit tighter this time so that they wouldn't fall out. Bottom bolt went on fine. Top one kept turning when I tightened it up, I figured I must have ruined the thread. I went to undo it, and the head of the bolt came off but the rest didnt (Grade 6 bolt too) :( I think the bolt had bottomed out in the end of the thread. After my lousy attempt at removing it I gave up for the day and ended up borrowing a tap set. If I get time tomorrow I'll try to get the old thread back, or bore it up to the next size.

Then timing cover, head and sump on. One positive thing is that the big end bearing are still rock solid, so I've had good oil pressure

High mount brake light installed. Well stuck on with the double sided tape. Need to wire it up.
Workplace cleanliness is essential
I cranked out the tap set. I couldn't get the original thread back (6x1.0) so I bored it up to 8x1.25, which is the next common size up. It was pretty easy, just gotta be patient.
Kinda like this. Only more in focus. I had to shorten the bolt to fit, and I ran it through the other tap to clean up the thread. It all bolted up fine!
Timing chain back on
And now I've got the timing cover on. I'm attempting to tidy up the wiring a bit using conduit

I need some brake cleaner, gasket paper and electrical tape and a few hours in the shed...

Wednesday 25th I got the head back on
Two foes reunite
Sump got all gooped up
So today I pulled the engine down and was putting on the flywheel and clutch. It was 90nm to tighten the flywheel to the crank, and the engine section didnt have a torque for the clutch pressure plate. I think I used too many torques...
I crapped myself at this stage. Most of the bolt was still in the flywheel and it was late in the afternoon on a public holiday. So I had another flywheel, but it was for a 4 speed. I pulled it out and they were different. Different offset to the crank and 4 speed looked a bit smaller diameter. I had both flywheels off at this stage, thinking of a place to extract this bolt so I can bolt it all up. A moment of desperation provided a good thought...how about I try unwinding it by hand? It wasn't actually in tight, it came straight out! :mrgreen: (torque setting of 27nm was under "clutch", not "engine" btw)
Engine in. This was the first time I've left the gearbox in the car while putting in an engine. Normally I pull out both and allign the gearbox and engine on the ground. First attempt didn't work, the clutch wasn't aligned properly. I had the 4 speed lying on the ground nearby and I kept thinking if only I could remove the input shaft to use to line up the clutch. Then I remembered that I could just use the whole gearbox to line it up :rolleyes: only took me 6 months to work that one out!

Not much to do now, just radiator, intake manifold, oil and water and connect a few wires. Hopefully smooth sailing from now on!

Friday 27th

Got the rest of the engine bolted up

It started up and was smokey and seemed to have a misfire

Hooked up the timing light, only flashes 3 then misses one

Also timing chain seems alot tighter than before. Old one had some slop to it, but this one is pretty tight. I don't know how to make it the right setting?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:36 am 

Had some time yesterday morning before work (who gets up early on Monday mornings?) to try and sort out why it wasn't running very well. I pulled out the spark plugs to see if that was the problem, it sounded like it was only running on 3 cylinders. Sure enough when I got them out, number 3 was wet and a bit dirtier so I swapped it for a different one. It now runs pretty smooth, except for the leaky gasket between the exhaust manifold and down pipe, which has again reminded me to get a louder exhaust!

Hopefully the video works..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNK8n03acA0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I though the smokeyness was probably due to me having the engine upside down and filling the exhaust manifold with oil. After the video, it wasn't smoking very much at all, and it was sitting on idle nicely.

I took it for a quick spin around the block on monday night to warm it up to set timing etc. Had a few drops of oil/liquid on the ground when i got back and it was smokey. It seems to have oil seeping out of the bottom of the exhaust manifold where it connects to the down pipe. I'm pretty sure the head gasket isn't sealed properly.

Hmm now when have I seen this before... Further investigationing to come!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Good luck Timmeh, I hope it's something simple and not a head gasket.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 am 

ewokracing wrote:
Good luck Timmeh, I hope it's something simple and not a head gasket.

Head gasket is a pretty simple fix anyway. The tricky bit will be replacing it without removing the intake or exhaust gaskets. I have got a spare head gasket, but no others.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:45 pm 

I took a day off to try and sort out the engine... A least it was a nice day!
I wiped up all the excess oil to try and pinpoint leaks. I took it around the blocks to warm it up, then reset the timing and the valves. Timing was a bit off and it drove much better after it was fixed. It didn't seem to have any smoke coming out the back, and it didn't seem to be leaking oil at all from the front. I retightened the head bolts too, and it would seem to be fine at the moment!
So I had a bit of time to paint up the fixed rim. Not perfect, but much better than before.
And I had a quick go at some mini rims I have stashed away for a future project

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:32 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Don't tell me you have a brick as well?

(I'm in the Vic mini club)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:29 pm 

I dont have one yet, however:
-The rims were free
-My grandpa has one which has been on the family since the 80's
I should really join a club and take it for drives more often. It's just a bit scary to drive though!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:56 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Ah yes.

I got offered a beautiful and dirt cheap SS once, one of very few built and even fewer that survived, but being over 6ft 2, I don't fit well enough for me to be comfortable in them, plus big feet and mini pedals do not mix.

I've driven one a small distance and I could see how they are a hoot to drive, I learnt to drive in a moke with no first gear, no brakes and you stopped by running over logs or nudging trees.

Vic Mini club runs this each year, I joined so I could track Marshall with them:

http://www.vhrr.com/PI2012.pdf

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:59 am 

Mini is just about comfortable. It doesn't help that the original seats got swapped for buckets by my grandpa :roll:

Car has been running pretty well, I've done an oil and filter change. I think the timing chain is a bit loose as the engine seems to be a bit rattley recently. It's quiet under power, but it gets noisy when going down hills/coasting with no power on. Oil pressure is very good, 20psi at idle and up to 60 when revved..

I purchased $102.50 of mystery item off eBay on Friday. This picture will serve as the "before" with the after to come in a week or two.

I finally cleaned up the shed so there is enough room for my nice car (not the 323). Hung up some of the many hubcaps I've been collecting

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:36 am 

So I bought two new tyres. 195/50R15.
None of this new age "stretch" (also kinda hard with 6 inch rims)

As much as I like the black mesh rims, I like these gold ones so much more. The black wheels tended to look a bit lost under the guards and a bit small. These ones look spot on.

Before
After

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:46 am 

Love the gold rims Tim they do look so much better than the black ones :tu: Do you want to sell your blinker lenses? :mrgreen:
Cheers Greg.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:30 am 

You'll be the first to know Greg if I ever do! Don't plan on parting with them anytime soon though :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:50 am 

The car has been running really well the last few weeks. So well infact the daily has been in the garage for three weeks, and when some parts turned up 2 1/2 hours away I thought "why not?".

In preparation for the trip I thought I'd change the water for coolant (water is recommended when putting a new head gasket in) and see if I could work out the rattle in the engine. I was pretty sure it was the timing chain not being tight enough, as it was only noisy at idle and and when coasting in gear. I pulled out the radiator out to access the timing chain guide adjusters and I borrowed a small socket set to fit through the timing cover. At least the socket fit through the adjusting ports on the spare timing covers I had out. Apparently the timing cover in the car has smaller holes compared to the spare ones :???:
The timing chain was tight anyway. The oil pump chain was another story..There is no adjustment or tensioner so it just must be stretched and in need of replacement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50AiPkNrkd0

So I put it all back together and drove off the next morning. Although the temp looks good in this picture, it has never ever been this high before. Turns out there must have been some air in the system, but I had the rest of the coolant bottle in the boot, just incase. At least I know the temperature gauge works! (and I'm so awesome I can drive and take photos)
So a slow and steady 350km later and I was back home
My passenger on the way home
The bit I was most interested in is the electronic dizzy. I've got to work out the wiring and then I'll put in on the current engine. The engine is a D5, which was the final 323 rwd engine. It is a stroked version of the UC which I've currently got, so it is 1.5L.
And tucked away for another day...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 13 of 17   [ 322 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next