#
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: My newest toy (Dream 50 -> CB125T -> Dream 50)!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:31 am 

So, I've always wanted an old cafe racer bike and I also needed a learners bike to help me get my sea legs back for the proper motorcycle test. As such, I've been keeping my eye on the Dream 50 for quite some time. Unfortunately, they are indeed pricey. I was waffling between getting this or trading my March in and getting an R31 Skyline. I was leaning very heavily towards the Skyline, but all the offers on trade in value for my March were frankly insulting (I had one place offer to give me 500 bucks for a 40,000 mile, twin charged, piece of rally history!). So I said, this has got to be a sign, decided to keep the March and pulled the trigger on this bad boy! It needs some work as it was indeed the cheapest one I could find for sale. But, I picked it up in Okazaki and rode it all the way back to my place, a 40 minute ride! Biggest problem I had along the way was that my hands went numb!

Alright, enough gabbing, on with the pictures!

The pictures are a bit blurry. One of the downsides of buying a bike in the middle of winter is that it's too damn cold to get the bike out for a good photo session.

I just love that classic look!

Here's me sitting on it right before I rode it for the first, nervous as hell!

That was all a little while ago, so on the days that it was above about 5 C outside I started tooling around with it. First goal was to eliminate the air box. The problem with that was the battery. The bike itself doesn't need the battery to run, but it doesn't run very well without it. Also, the tachometer doesn't work without a battery. So, the best way to solve a lack of battery is lots of capacitance!

That would be 6 50V 4700 uF capacitors connected in parrallel for a total of 28200 uF of capacitance. That's a lot of juice!

All soldered up!

I was also planning on dropping the rear fender and dropping in a piece of aluminum for a much cleaner look.

So I took a piece of cardboard and folded and cut it to the shape I wanted. Then I took some simple measurements and transcribed them a nice piece of aluminum I picked up for 15 bucks at the local hardware store.

Here's the finished product!

Not bad looking at all!

It still ran a little rough and had absolutely no power below about 8,000 rpm, which made launching very difficult. So a carb clean was in order.

The carb itself is surprisingly simple and straight forward, using a sliding tube connected to a needle for both the throttle valve and fuel jet.

Here's the throttle valve/needle.

Here's a look down where the throttle valve slides.

All apart!

A close up of the little bitty parts!

I also swapped in a new iridium plug!

This completely transformed the bike! Strong, good power from about 6,000 rpm all the way up to 13,500 rpm! Launching is still a bit difficult, but I'll blame that on the fact that the bike was designed for Japanese guys that weigh about 20 kilos less than me! Didn't get any more pictures pictures because it started to rain and hasn't stopped since! As soon as it starts finally warming up and summer rolls in there will be much more happening to this little pocket bike!

Big things on the list at the moment are to refresh the brakes, new tires an air filter and riding the hell out of it!
Cheers
David

Last edited by Nakazoto on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My newest toy (it's only got two wheels)!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:06 pm 

It's beautiful! Nice work on the clean fender as well. Shouldn't be too hard to get a little more power out of it? My old '81 Kawasaki 100cc was much more driveable after I got a buddy to do a little 2stroke magic on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:56 am 

cat0 wrote:
It's beautiful! Nice work on the clean fender as well. Shouldn't be too hard to get a little more power out of it? My old '81 Kawasaki 100cc was much more driveable after I got a buddy to do a little 2stroke magic on it.

Thanks for the comment (and sorry in the huge massive delay in reply, haha). If this were a two-stroke I could probably pull a bit more power out of it with a good carb and a big pipe, but since it's a twin cam four stroke, I'm pretty limited in options without tearing the whole engine apart! Fortunately, there are a few options that I will be exploring!

I never really followed this up with proper pictures of it in its current state! So, I'm here to remedy just that!

First up are two pictures I took right after I finished my fender delete.

These next few pictures are of when I snapped some pictures of it next to my Mitsubishi 360!

Not a bad looking bike if I do say so myself! The pictures actually make it look a lot better than it is, haha. I just rebuilt the front and rear calipers on it as well as dropped in some new pads and I must say she is a completely different animal now! She stops so much better, it was truly like night and day! The rear caliper was pretty seized and the front pads were almost non existent! Glad to get that sorted. Also, just picked up a new aftermarket C.D.I. and a new, slightly bigger carburetor! So expect some updates on those as soon as they arrive (my goal is to get her up to 15,000 rpm)!

Cheers
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:34 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Sweet looking bike. Love the simplicity of it.

BTW, there is a Japanese Nostalgic Bike Garage here. :wink: You might think about reposting there. :tu:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:56 pm 

Thanks for the comments Toyotageek!
I realized there was a JNM section after I posted this here… Also, wasn’t sure if this classified as a nostalgic as it was manufactured in 1997 (although the CR110 it’s based off of is from the 60s). Maybe a moderator would be so kind to move it for me (hint, hint, wink, wink)!

So I bought some supplies for the garage, got back home, stepped in and in the dark, I noticed something moving. I looked down and this bad boy slithered past my feet and under one of the Bellet seats!

I can’t stand snakes! After I turned into a little girl, and hid on top of my Bellet for a little while, we finally corralled him into a box and set him free in the field across the street. Spiders, cockroaches, rats, anything but snakes and I’m completely blasé, snakes though…

With that out of the way, it was time to get down to work! I didn’t particularly like my old fender eliminator plate. I cut some cutouts for the brackets and stuff, but if the plate didn’t have a curve to it then the cutouts weren’t needed. Here you can see the cutouts and the curve of the old plate.

This was also the first time I have had the tank off, so I figured I would take a picture of what life under that tank was like. Appears to be the CDI, a bit of wiring and that’s about it, haha.

After much cutting, hammering, bending and sanding this was the plate before I cleaned it up for installation on the bike.

And here it is cleaned up and installed on the bike! I think it looks much, much better!

From the side the new plate is almost completely invisible.

I also figured it was time to pull my capacitor pack out, ditch the circuit board it was on and wrap it in tape so it was more compact and battery like. I wanted to make sure that it was held together strongly with solder and wires first though. So after much soldering, this was the end result. Nice and strong!

Completely wrapped up in tape with a piece of rubber covering the terminals of the capacitors and mounted in the back of the seat.

Clearance is tight, but it fits without hitting or rubbing. I think I’ll put a piece of foam on top of the red tab though just to make sure everything is held in place properly.

I did all the above work because I was waiting on some new parts. Chief among which were these new pipes! A genuine set of Moriwaki performance pipes!

I also had a PC20 carb on order as well. The extra 5mm of carb size should make a noticeable difference!

I got excited and went for the carb first. I didn’t get a snap, but the outlet of the new carb versus the old carb is completely different. I thought I would have to port the intake manifold (hard to call it a manifold as it’s just a short pipe with two flanges) but it turns out that it’s designed for a 20 mm carb from the go. The old carb was just choked down and two small for the intake manifold! A simple bolt-on affair from there!

I then busted out my grinder with wire wheel and stripped all the old paint off the new pipes. Then, after a bit of a sand down, I hung them up and sprayed htem with some 600 C high temp black paint.

And here they are installed! They look bloody fantastic if you ask me!

I fired the engine up with the new carb and pipes on and it sound like a completely different animal! It sounds like a 150 cc single! It should be an utter blast to ride!

That’s all for now. More to come soon though as I got a new CDI, new turn signals and a new tail light on order that should be showing up any day!

Thanks again guys!
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:11 am 
JNC Enthusiast

LOL, well see, that shows you how much I know... I thought the bike WAS nostalgic :lol:

Nice snake by the way :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:17 pm 
Mild Cam

Killer bike, David. My local Honda shop has one of these on display. It's nice to see it get the same loving treatment as your other vehicles. :tu:

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:46 pm 

Completely understandable Toyotageek, everyone thinks it's a proper nostalgic, and when you look at the Honda racing 50s of the 1960s, it's easy to see why! (http://www.elsberg-tuning.dk/honda.html) I wish this one was a 50cc twin though, that would be awesome.

Thanks camshaft! Unfortunately, the Bellet is giving me dirty stares, haha. It's alright though, I'll be back on it soon! I just need to get my hands a good metal brake, and then I should be able to run with it from there.

Alrighty, it’s about time for another update!

The CDI and tail light I ordered showed up as well as a few other things, but my turn signals still haven’t made it (this would be the first item I’ve gotten on Yahoo Auctions that hasn’t been dealt with extremely well). They’ll get here eventually, so in the meantime, I figured I’d get to work!

Here’s the new CDI.

And my new tail light.

The reason I was going for a new tail light is that I was still using the old square-ish factory tail light, which was designed to mount o the fender. It looked a little out of place, so I figured it was time to get a proper, small, round one going. This of course required creating a new mount for it. So I bought some stock aluminum and cut and bent three pieces into shape. These all bolt together and then the license plate frame bolts to this, holding the tail light right in position!

Turned out pretty good looking if you ask me!

Here’s a shot of the bracket without the seat on.

I was worried about a light so small being bright enough to see, but as you can see in this picture, it puts out tons of light! I think it’s actually brighter than the original light even.

So, I had my new tail light mounted and ready to rock, had my new carburetor on and I was pretty much all ready for a test ride. Then I remembered that I forgot to put the carb insulator on. So I took the carb back off, honed out the insulator, slapped it all back together, fired the bike up and rolled it outside to warm up while I put my jacket, helmet and gloves on. I head back outside, hop on, give it some throttle and then the whole thing dies before I make it 5 feet. I kick it and it fires up again and then almost immediately dies again. I keep kicking to get it to start, but the damn thing won’t run. So, dejected, I wheel it back inside and start to diagnose.

Pulled the carb off, everything was hooked up fine and looked okay, so I put it back on and tried to get it to start again and sometimes it would run and sometimes it wouldn’t. The whole thing was sounding worse and worse. So, I’m thinking it’s the new CDI I put on, so I pull that out but nothing changes. I’m racking my brain and going crazy until finally I decide to put the original carb back on and see if that solves the problem. Miraculously, it does! So, now that I know it’s a problem with the new carb I pick it up to look at it and hear a clinking sound coming from the inside. So I crack the carb open for the first time and the main jet and emulsion tube have fallen out. That’s right, fallen out. So, I put them back in, tighten them down and try to put the carb back on and the threads on the carb for installation strip out, both sides. I almost threw the Taiwanese piece of junk across the room.

I went upstairs and ordered a proper, Honda original, PC20 carburetor off of Yahoo Auctions. Genuine Honda/Keihin stuff.

The build quality is completely different. This carburetor moves smoother, sounds better and is generally just of great quality. Lesson learned, when buying carbs, go with genuine stuff. Here she is installed on the bike!

Since I was putting the bike back together, I decided to re-install my CDI. Interestingly, the CDI isn’t a replacement CDI, it’s just a piggy back unit. It’s supposed to change ignition maps, increase the strength of the spark and eliminate the rev limiter. Don’t know how effectively it does all that, but it most definitely lets me rev to 14k now instead of having the whole thing stop the fun at 13,500. Here you can see the CDI unit ziptied to the frame (zipties are the preferred method of installation since the CDI unit comes supplied with two for installation!).

So, I pulled the bike out for her first test ride since I went crazy with all this stuff.

The bike ran terrible, haha. Then I thought about it and of course it did, the carb is meant for a 125 probably, so the main jet size is probably mega rich for a 50. So, out came the carb and the tuning process began! The main jet installed at factory on the new carb was a #95 and the original carb had a #75. I worked my way down to a #78 and it ran just a little lean, so I jumped back up to a #80 and the bike seems to be running pretty awesome! I still need to do some fine tuning with the needle clip, but I rode the bike for about an hour yesterday without a hitch!

Not bad looking for a fifty!

Unfortunately, rainy season reared its ugly head this morning, so I won’t get a chance to ride it again for a while.

I still got a few more things to knock out and then I’ll be pretty happy with it! Most notably, the big ungainly turn signals are going to get replaced with much slimmer ones, if the slimmer ones ever get here (2 weeks for shipping is a little ridiculous…). Also, I picked up some front springs that slide over the front forks to stiffen up the front a bit (Honda original part). I also grabbed some Honda original rear shocks and springs from a CB250RS for cheap. I’m going to disassemble them and double check the spring rate before they go on though.

Thanks everyone for the comments!
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:17 pm 

very cool bike!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:42 am 

Alright, I suppose I should update this!
This post is going to cover like 3 months of tooling around with this thing, but here goes!

First things first, I received these in the mail... from Taiwan. They're pretty cheap plastic pieces, but they were just the right size.

Here's the front's on.

You can see they tuck up really close to the headlight, exactly what I wanted!

Here's the rears on.

Then I got my hands on an HRC lightweight flywheel and slapped that on, which made a decent difference! Unfortunately I didn't snap an after shot, but I did get a before shot of the rusty piece that got replaced.

Then, for a little stronger spark I got a Kitaco coil and NGK plug boot (this also got rid of that ugly yellow piece that was the original piece).

Here's the coil installed.

I just made a short little L bracket to hold it in place bolted to the factory mounting tab.

Then my girlfriend took a seat on a Honda Solo. I still retain that this is one of the coolest looking bikes out there. Unfortunately, it make the rider look completely ridiculous. Although she looks pretty good on it, maybe I should convince her to get one, haha.

Shortly after, my friend from work picked up a Dream 50 as well. These pictures are from the day we got back to my place!

And naturally anything that gets left in my garage gets worked on, so here's how it sits now!

This is my next project, but that's still under progress, so more on this later.

Just last week it was my birthday and so my girlfriend made this cake for me. She actually hand drew the Dream in chocolate! She did an absolutely amazing job! Notice the Moriwaki pipes, no rear fender and my custom rear tail light. She did awesome!

My other present was a proper Dream 50 model kit! Not a bad birthday at all!

That's it for now!

Cheers
David

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 am 
Mild Cam

Whoa dude, that girl's a keeper! :shock:

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:47 am 

Moved to proper section. :tu: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:41 pm 

Awesome bike man, very very cool! Love these lil cafes and digging what your've done dude. Good taste!

Also,

The cylinder head on your bike:

Nakazoto wrote:

Totally reminds me of Johhny 5:

^ I <3 1box

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:40 pm 

Thanks for the move John! I wasn't sure if I should post it in this section or not since it's actually quite a new bike.
Camshaft, she is indeed a keeper!
Solidstripe, thanks dude! My friend says that the cylinder head looks like a surprised robot, haha.

Alrighty, I can't leave well enough alone so I had to get out there and get some more work done on this thing. I started with the awesome CBR250RR tachometer. I wired it up, adjusted it into spec, built a new pod for it and mounted it to the bike.

I wasn't too happy with my mount though as it was a little too shiny, not very well bent, and didn't have a neutral or turn signal light. So, I went through and redid it all to get this:

Now that I had an awesome tachometer, I figured it was time to do something with the suspension that has been chilling in a box in my place for a long time. So here she is with CB250RS rear shocks on the back.

And here she is with external springs on the front. This combination really stiffened up the suspension making the bike much livelier in the turns, it handles a bit like a light weight dirt bike!

Now, I've been having trouble with carburetors on this thing. Mostly because I know very little about tuning small singles, but I'm learning. I was about sick and tired of messing with the PC20 carb though, so I got my hands on the flat-slide Mikuni. Now at 24 mm, it is far too big for the engine, but even so, it still runs better than the PC20 carb ever did. I'm still trying to get the tune just right. As soon as I get the main jet about where I like it, the pilot jet is out, so I change the pilot jet and then the main jet is out. Not sure how much the pilot jet affects the top end, but apparently it affects it enough to make my life difficult. Still, it runs pretty decent and sounds wicked!

I had to make an adapter plate to mount it to the factory intake manifold, which was also honed out for the bigger diameter.

I also painted the Mickey Mouse side cover. It turned out really well I think!

Tuning!

I then swapped front gears for more acceleration. Went from a 12 tooth to an 11 tooth. This unfortunately made my chain a bit too loose (it was already stretched to oblivion) and so now I need to get a chain because a bad gear change tends to pop the chain off, stranding me.

Here she is out in the sun!

That's all for now! My next plan is to get this running well enough to be a good practice rider and then build up a CB50 with a CB125T engine in it! 80kg and 20 hp should be plenty fun!

Thanks again guys!
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:14 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

This is semi-on-topic. I don't know if anyone else saw this post on BikeEXIF, but there's a pretty nice Chinese Dream 50/125 ripoff that is supposedly pretty reliable and well built! Here's a link to the posting.

http://www.bikeexif.com/sky-team-motorcycles#more-14415

And a video of one on a lengthy road trip in China.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWjVyzfRxg0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:10 am 

Nice honda!!!

But i think you will have to beef up your adapter plate,this one is way to weak,it will leak ,and make your engine run lean.And will kill your cillinders wall.So please make a stronger one!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:15 am 

Thanks for the comments guys!

Meiko, thanks for the concern. The plate is solid steel and uses gasket sealer, however, this project has taken a sharp turn!

My biggest problem with this bike is that knowing that someday I will move back home, I can't take this bike with me. Being a 1997 it is far too new and will be a huge nightmare to get stateside. I absolutely love the looks and size of the bike though, despite the fact that I'm so tall. It is a riot to ride and I wanted to keep that. So I started doing research and came across this type of bike, which I subsequently bought.

This is a 1979 Honda CB125T. There are several reason why I went for the CB125T. First and foremost, it is the smallest displacement 4 stroke twin that was commercially available (as far as I know). It makes a bit more than double the power output of the Dream yet retains an almost identical wheelbase. The weight is close as well with the Dream weighing in at 80 kg and this at 125 kg. I reckon with some work I can get that number below 100 kg though. The rake and trail of the front end are surprisingly close as well.

So in comparison to the Dream it is actually really close in size. It is a bit longer overall, but that is due to the huge tail light sticking out the back. It is also a bit wider and some of that can be attributed to the engine, but also the handlebars are quite wide as well. The seating position is much more upright so the bike feels larger than it really is. It looks much larger than the Dream in these shots.

However, if you roll both the bikes up to the curb to line their front wheels up, you can see that the they are almost identical in length.

So, since this thing was a rusty hunk, my first goal was to strip it right down. Which went surprisingly fast! As you can see here I got quite far on the first day (and this was starting at 15:00).

Then I wanted to get the engine out so I did the "lay it on its side trick". That's where you lay the whole bike down, undo all the bolts holding the engine on, then lift the bike off the engine. It works surprisingly well!

And, engine removed!

Here's the now nearly empty frame.

And a rather cool looking tag on the frame.

My ultimate goal for this bike is to take the Dream front forks, brake, and wheel and graft it onto the CB125T. Then for the rear I want to take the Dream rear wheel and brake and run it in the CB125T rear swing arm. Then to complete the look, I'll use the Dream 50 seat and tank on the CB125T as well. I should end up with a bike that looks just like the Dream, but has a proper twin in it with double the power.

It should be fun!
Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:12 am 

Very cool. :tu: :mrgreen:

I need another bike... :x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:45 pm 

Cool project I'm big into bikes as well and have a few classics. Since its 50cc's you should be okay to bring it back. If you're military you can ship bikes as household goods as well. Bikes and 4t bieks especially are much easier especially as that should have a 17 digit vin.

For reference I ahve a TZR250 3MA and know how to get newer grey markets registered as long as they aren't post 06 generally.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:37 am 

cencalballer wrote:
Cool project I'm big into bikes as well and have a few classics. Since its 50cc's you should be okay to bring it back. If you're military you can ship bikes as household goods as well. Bikes and 4t bieks especially are much easier especially as that should have a 17 digit vin.

For reference I ahve a TZR250 3MA and know how to get newer grey markets registered as long as they aren't post 06 generally.

Thanks for the comment! I was reading up on the importation rules for 50 cc bikes and the NHTSA states that the bike must not be capable of breaking 20 mph, which the Dream 50 will easily double. I'm sure that no one would really check, but I figured that if I switched to a chassis that's older than 25 years, I could get the bike in without any hitches at all. Unfortunately, I'm not in the military, but the bike will get shipped home in our container full of crap accumulated here over the years, of course this isn't happening for about another year.

Thanks for the comments john! I never used to be into bikes, but I've got the bug bad now. I'm splitting my time almost evenly between my Bellett and this bike!

Alright, so a lot of work has gone into the bike recently! First things first was to get an idea of how the seat and tank were going to sit, so I set them both on there and snapped a pic!

There were some immediate problems with a bracket on the bottom of the tank hitting the bike frame. So, I removed that bracket and the tank got closer to fitting but I was having a serious issue with the fuel petcock. It needed to be in the same place as part of the frame.

So, I sliced the frame a bit!

This allowed me to set the tank on the frame properly and gave me a much closer mockup.

The fuel petcock wasn't the only problem, the seat was banging into some brackets/braces on the frame as well. So, I sliced those up too.

The front tank mounts, being designed for a completely different tank, were too far forward, too wide and a little too high. So, I had to cut those out and weld in new front tank mounts. Here's my super technical marking method: green tape.

I used an M10 bolt and welded that in for the new rubber pieces to mount onto.

Works pretty well!

The tank is getting much closer to mounted. It looks like the front of the tank is sitting too low giving the tank a funky angle, but I measured the tank angle countless times and cross referenced it against the tank angle on the Dream 50 and they're within a half degree of each other.

Next up was the rear tank mount. I had some thick 1 mm steel, but it wasn't very wide, and I needed a wide piece of steel. I solved this problem by welding together two pieces of 0.8 mm steel!

It's plenty thick for what I need it to do.

Here's the new mount welded into the bike.

I welded a nut to the bottom as well so that the tank can be bolted down with ease.

Rear of tank bolted down.

Next was to get the seat mounted. This was a bit easier since the front of the seat just hooks under the tank mount. The rear of the seat required a bit of work, but these plates got the job done really well!

The frame itself was causing problems though, as it was too long, not allowing the seat to sit flat. So, that was fixed by lopping the ends of the frame off!

Everything bolted down!

While I had the welder out, I decided to fix the frame where I had cut it earlier to make room for the petcock. I did this by taking the piece I cut out, bending it and running it at an angle to weld to the backbone.

You can also see the plate I welded in over the bracket behind the tank mount.

I test fit everything again and rolled it outside for some better pictures of the tank and seat alignment.

I think it looks spot on!

I gave it a test sit!

Which inspired my girlfriend to sit on it too! The bike goes from looking like a tiny scooter bike under me to a full size bike under her, haha.

Here's two more pictures of us sitting on it!

And that's as far as I have come at the moment! It's been a blast working on this thing and it's moving along very nicely! A lot more fabrication work was required than I had initially thought, but it's turning out to be a lot of fun.

Thanks for looking guys!

Cheers
David

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next