Another update, I had high hopes that I'd have the interior wiring complete, consoles installed, underlay applied to the floor and the carpet fitted and trimmed ready for the trimmer to sew up the edges. With one of those rare weekends where all the planets aligned (which means I can spend all day on the car) I thought I'd accomplish all of the above before flying out again.... would you believe I fell short of my weekend goal
Interior wiring is simple but a ball breaker task ! The worst of the wiring I think is now done. The interior needs another day to finish off the rest of the cabling then that's another thing to tick off the imaginary list which always seems to grow rather than become shorter.
Engine bay cabling and looms will be covered in detail in a future update. I've had 3 people ask for me to cover whatever I do there. It should be much easier as everything is a lot more accessible. The looms I've decided to use there are a bit of a mess however the rubber firewall grommets are really good. They are the original ones for this car as well. If your looms are worse than these then you have real problems
I do have better ones but the grommets arent so good. A days work and they'll be repaired without too much trouble.
On to the update.....
I'll start with the engine bay looms, they be completed in a future update. As you can see they are far from perfect. I'm waiting on a few things to arrive before they are repaired. Too say they are filthy would be an understatement.
Lots of bodge connectors, not the sort of thing that makes a car reliable.... all the dodgy stuff has to go..
Next I start removing the nylon plugs from the connectors and bag the head ends. Left and right, the car has an engine bay loom on each side. Why did I bag the head ends ?? I popped them in the dishwasher for a good steam clean, they came out as something else, spotless. I now have a good base to work from. I'll continue on this in a future update. Pic 2, damage to the centre meter gauges. The Red/White wire was missing. I suspect someone connect the each to one of the AMP meter terminals.
This is the loom that connects the centre guages, needs a little work. I look a replacement length of White/ Red wire from an old main loom. I will replace the entire length of cable not add on too the cut length. Make sure you use the correct gauge cable. In the 1st photo you can see a piezo buzzer that I will use as the over rev buzzer. $3.95 is a lot more appealing than $200 OEM unit that you will never see. The loom will be modified so the Savanna Fan panel works like factory. The Savanna fan unit is pictured in the photo as well. Pic2, to clean your soldering iron a damp cloth is all that's required.
I couldnt find the correct large spade connectors for the heavy gauge cable so I reused the old ones. I carefully remove the spade from the socket then remove the solder. The heavy gauge connectors are soldered, light gauge are not. Pic 2, replacement cable is tinned before install.
Crimped, soldered and installed...
Crimping tools that Im using. You can see the other end of the White/Red cable needs finishing. Pic 2, both heavy gauge AMP meter cables had new ends fitted.
Cable ends are soldered as well for better connectivity... Pic2, centre harness almost done, now to modify for the lights on the Savanna fan panel.
Made a new earth lead to replace the burnt track on the back of the centre gauges. Pic 2 leads all installed, Black / White is installed closest to the clock. Thanks to those that helped by looking at their cars
Making the leads to power the Savanna Fan control lights. I got the correct cable from an old main loom. I then crimp the connectors into place, then solder for extra security.
The correct nylon plug comes from you guessed it, an old loom ! The new connectors are then pushing into the nylon housing. The only way you'd tell that it wasn't factory is by the solder. Pic 2, the other end is connected to the main connector on this loom.
Once it's pushed into place you'd never know, the gauge harness is now Savanna ready
Pic 2, at this stage I'll be using the Savanna fan controls with the Australian spec consoles. Mainly because they are so good they must be used. Pic 2, the Savanna fan controls are slightly wider so you need to mark and drill 2 extra holes to hold the fan controls in place. The unit can now bolt altogether with a lot of swearing. Getting the cables to operate right will take a little time, not a 2 minute job.
I had too swap the clocks around due to the replacement having a different electrical plug. I ended up repairing the original which had a missing stalk.
The stalk removed and then installed in the original unit.
Clock done... all the little jobs that aren't immediately apparent ! Pic 2, most of the interior wiring is now repaired and sorted. I lost count on the number of times I installed them only too remove them. The centre gauges and glove box are now permanent
Radio is connected as is everything else
The drivers cluster isn't far off from being permanent either, just routing the remaining cables, all repairs to the interior harness are complete. Clutch box will need too go in very soon so it can all can be finalised.
A couple of close ups of the consoles in place, I'm very happy how it all looks.
The hard cabling side is all done, next finish off the drivers cluster, install pedal box, over rev buzzer, door switches... then underlay, carpet and seats
Once the engine bay looms go in I can test everything properly, interior will be finished first though.