#
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 6   [ 116 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: DR30 build FJ20ET
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:15 pm 

I made a pair of bumpsteer spacers (roll center adjusters) at work today. They are 1 inch thick. I also made a 1.25 inch thick set. Going to test fit them this weekend. If they fit right I will get them off to the anodizer monday.

Will be able to make more for the DR30 guys if a few people want a set. I will also be making a set for my hako once I start in on the front suspension.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:38 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Looks great. Count me in on set for the c10.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:57 am 

my KGC10 would love a set too! <3 can you PM us when you have made a set?
Domo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:25 am 

Going to be driving the car all week. I have to say that after installing the bumpsteer spacer the car drive a hella of a lot better. I dont get pulled all over the lane. I dont think I will be doing a S13 up grade anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:40 pm 

Hey sent you a PM regarding the bump steer spacers. Keen on a pair for my dr30!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:24 am 

So one of my winter projects on the DR was to redo the wiring on the fans. I had dont a quick job on them after I got the car but now wanted to get real. I pulled the fans and shroud. I welded nuts to the back of the shroud so I could take the fans off with out taking off the shroud. I also redid the wiring.
Added a pair of relays
A pair of water proof fuse holders.
For the fas I got new waterproof connectors and used the factory connector for the temp switches.
All the wires are 12ga for the power and ground to the fans. Then 16ga for the relay stuff. I wrapped every thing in a flexable wire covering and heatshrink. So that is all done now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:59 am 

So after getting the fans going I tried to charge the battery. It was way dead from sitting so long. So I went out and got a new battery and holder. It is a Oddssey PC925.
I bought the holder and had it painted black wrinkle. I made the mounts to hold it in place from stainless steel. Here is the holder installed.
And all finished with the battery.

I also bought a trickle charger for it so I can keep it charged when it is in storage.
Now I am just waiting for a couple of sunny days to be able to the car out for tha little shake down. Then it should be a nice daily for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:18 am 

So when I was tring to start the car last week I smelled something. It wasn't something on fire but it smells like hot wires. It was this connector.
The three wires were very rubbery feeling. So I pulled it aparts and saw this
A bit of corrosion on the connectors. I cleaned then a little last week and got the car running but wanted a better solution. So I got a new connector and made some plates to mount all my extra wires to. I didnt like putting all the wires on the one post on the battery connector. You can see in the first photo how they are all stacked on each other.
So these plates hold all the wires for my relays, other factory stuff from the car, and my trickle charger connceotr (back and white wire tucking behind the battery). So after cutting out the old and crimping on the new stuff it now look like this
I do not have the main power cable connected in the photo but it is on now. Didn't get to start the car cause of the rain, but when it gets sunny I wil be on it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:09 pm 

So since it looks like we are going to have one good week of weather this week. I decided to pull the car out. I did a shake down today and was able to lower the boost a little. The new muffler I put on has a little more back pressure I think and so the boost spiked a little more than I wanted. So was working on that and the clutch acted up. No fluid on the reservoir. Got it filled and bleed. Nome works great. So now it drives fine but it overheating. I am going to check the water level tomorrow and go from there. Does anyone know if FJ20's like to run hot? If I need a new thermostat which one fits the FJ that I can buy here in the USA??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:37 pm 

So my overheating issue was a bad radiator cap. Got a new one today and now the gauge reads at about 3/4 to the top. I was wondering if some other DR guys can tell me what theirs reads when driving around.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:25 pm 

I was always reading right above the halfway mark and on hot days right below the 3/4 mark. It depended on the weather, being in the NW it doesn't get very hot here. Also I felt the FJ got hot mostly from sitting stopped idling and stop / go traffic.

'85 300ZX
'03 350Z TWIN TURBO
'07 MAZDA 3 HATCH
'09 ACURA RDX

Post subject: Re: Derux DR30 FJ20ET
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:27 pm 

So I have worked on the car. I have moved the boost gauge with a bracket that I built.

I have also made some more of my brackets that change the bolt spacing on the license plates from JDM to USDM. That way you can have a license plate frames and dont have to drill holes in you USDM plate.
I didnt take a photo with the plate on. I wil have to do that.

I also cut the seat slider apart and made it sit about 3\4 of an inch lower. I made all new mounting tabs and welded on a new rear mounting plate. I made the nuts M6 so they match what the car has factory. If any guys with JDM cars wants a pair let me know. I have made a set for kgc10 in the past.

Got some more stuff lined up.

Last edited by DeRuX on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:27 pm 

Here is a pic of how the plate mounts with the brackets. It is cool cause you can run a JDM plate under it and then at the show remove your plate so the japan one shows.

Also today my DR house warming present came.

got to get it open and see all the goodies...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:28 pm 

One of the goodies in my boxes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:28 pm 

Because I am tall and want to sit comfy in the car. I went back to my VW days and made a shifter extension. I threaded a piece of 1/2 inch alum rod and had a delrin shift ball made. There is also a small lock nut made out of the same 1/2 inch alum rod.

This is the shifter in reverse.

It looks a little funny but it lets me sit farther back with out streching my arm so far.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:29 pm 

So I have been working on the rear interior as of late. I took out the roll cage and got some new interior pieces.

I bought the rear trim set and the rear shelf cover.

The cover comes with not holes cut in it but does come with instructions and a template to cut the holes.

I only cut the wiper motor hole and not the two for the rear shock mount access. I am going to use rivnuts and hold the rear shelf on with some screws. I think it will look cleaner and I will not have to worry about breaking the material when I pull off the covers to get to the shocks.

So after taking out the roll cage this is what I had.

So I didn't like the three hole being there and got some stainless screws and sealing washers and pluged them up

Greenmonster gave me the carpet pieces to put in the corners but they were red. I tried to paint them but I didnt clean them enough and it looked like shit. So I pealed the carpet away from the foam backing and glued some black vinyl to it. I put it on with the new pieces and this is what I got.

So now I need to finish the other side and get the shelf piece in. I also got the rear seatbelts for the car. So those will also be installed.

So I have the back seat stuff almost buttomed down. All the trim panels are in and so is the rear seat belts. The last thing I need to install is the rear parcel shelf. The factory has some plastic covers that mount on it so you can access the rear shock mounts.
I didn't like those because I will have to take them off some time and do not want to crack the panel. So I installed some rivnuts in the holes where the stock press in tabs would go. I then made some new finishing screws. This way I can take it on and off easy and it will have a cleaner look with out the covers.

So this weekend I should have this installed and have a few more pics.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:30 pm 

Got the rear shelf installed.

now it is time to pull it out of the back yard and drive it around for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:32 pm 

So since it looks like we are going to have one good week of weather this week. I decided to pull the car out. I did a shake down today and was able to lower the boost a little. The new muffler I put on has a little more back pressure I think and so the boost spiked a little more than I wanted. So was working on that and the clutch acted up. No fluid on the reservoir. Got it filled and bleed. Nome works great. So now it drives fine but it overheating. I am going to check the water level tomorrow and go from there. Does anyone know if FJ20's like to run hot? If I need a new thermostat which one fits the FJ that I can buy here in the USA??

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 6   [ 116 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next