Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: 1979 Toyota Hiace
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:44 pm 

dude I gotta find me one of these 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:34 am 

Hi Guys

I just joined the forum.

I have been searching for ages for any info on one of these vans.

I just bought one, a wreck if ever I saw one.
Now I need to renovate it, so this forum will be handy for me!

Thanks
:tu:
http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&image=7751

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:34 am 

AN UPDATE! its only been a year! Mostly Copied from oldjapanesecar.com

This was the campers last outing out! RRG 2010!

this post on ojc was Oct 23, 2010 :P
started getting to van ready for mot time, first rear shocks. last year one of the advisorys was knackered shock bushes but I knew one of the shocks had started to leak.
Blue ones are Toyota DYNA; black ones are 67-82 hiace; then rusty knackered ones :P
I got the black Sachs ones first; annoyingly the bushes had gone missing, I was going to hunt down some universal bushes when the blue set appeared on ebay ultra cheap. So swaped the bushes and fitted them.
fitted! Petrol tank painted with POR15 for a bit of protection. Also been over the brake pipes and fuel lines with waxoyl.
probably my imagination but the back end does seem to sit higher/better now.

But then Nov 10, 2010:
Quote:
Well this was going to be a nice update on how i'd fininaly made some brackets and fitted that chrome bumper.

Instead, its seems the pikeys have taken and interest in a some of the vehicles down my street neighbours s11 landrover, my van and a mk2 transit camper. So my hiace is now down the end of my garden :P Only access is via 2 commercial property's with big gates, so it is secure now although not too happy about parking it on grass. :-X

Pain in the Image ^ and as the van was in the back garden I kind of forgot about it!

And Today!:
camper never made it to a nice warm barn and is still in my back garden, but progress has been made! In less than a month I am off to New zeland for a month, appart from a much needed holiday I am also hoping to source a bit bits for the camper. I will be going to the Horopito scrap yard which hopefully with provide aload of bits.
The NewZeland trip is also the reason why I havent done much to the camper this year but;

Electronic ignition (idea from PeteTong)! A bit daft when the van really needs more body work stuff but things like this keep your mojo up during these early winter nights! I;ve been folowing a guide on the very informative toyomods forum. I purchased a complete electronic ignition/pickup dizzy from a 1985 21R 2.0 celica.
21r celica on the left, 18r hiace on the right. ^
Its pretty much a case of swapping the base plate from the electric igintion dizzy to the points one.
The finished dizzy with electronic pick up. Toyota want £300 for the sutable ignition module BUT the toyomods guys use a Bosch holden item which it nice and cheap, sadly not readily avaible in the UK. What I have found it the module from a 80's RSturbo ford! which has simialr specs to the holden item. My mate provided the nice lump of ally in the pic so I can use it as a heat sink (after a bit of polishing!)

I'm going to be mounting it in the battery tray area (on the left!)
i;ve cleaned up/derusted/zinc primed and chassis blacked

Currently i'm waiting on a new O ring for the dizzy, I'd sourced one that fitted from my local motor factors; but the dizzy wont fit down its hole with that fitted! So I was recommeded to get the correct toyota item.

I also gave the battrey cage a bit of a birthday:
Agian derusted, zinc primed and painted. That grey paint is Fergison gery tractor enamel! Cheap and hard wearing! I.m going to use it to paint the suspension stuff axle etc.

Also knocked up a new battery earth cable and soldered on new ends

Welding stuff,
been rebuilding the bit where the wheels run on the slidey door, surpisingly this bit wasnt very rusty*! but the wheel had eaten a groove on the rail and eventually worn through it.

* not rusty some onesbeen here before!
welded up a few bits and clean all that yellow glue stuff off and painted it up.

Bit of rev countering
Yazaki tacho i've had lying about for ages + spare wheel cap + strip of metal
worked out quite well!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:47 pm 

that looks cool 8)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:17 am 

heeroyuy01195 wrote:
That is THE most awesome thing I have ever seen! :shock: Wish we got those in the US...

agreed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:13 am 

sweet build! It's just screaming to have an 18RG though... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:41 am 

there is a couple of 18RGs on UK ebay atm! not sure how a ervvy twin cam would work with drums all round and comercial gearing!

next lot of updates

Picked up these wheels at the Retro-Rides jumble from the Area 52 guys
TurboVec alikes already started refurbing them

Playing with the electronic igntion still struggling with the dizzy and getting it to locate. Bit the bullet and took the sump off and the oil pump.
end of the oil pump where the dizzy sits was well mullered over, also a check with the feeler guages it was only just in spec. Odd damage to the sump pick up tube to!

Couldnt find a new pump in the Uk so was going to order one from rockauto but then this turned up on ebay
a nice new one

cleaned up the sump and gave it a lick of paint, new sump gasket £3 ebay again :P

pump in place, just got to scrape off that bathroom sealant :-X

sump filled with Roys finest recycled cooking oil 20/50 flushing oil

Dizzy fits nice now so I could continue with the electric ignition!
module mounted up
electronic igniton coil, wirings a bit of a mess atm but its still in the testing stage!

guide i've been using:
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-c ... s-how.html

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/46 ... ntry477585

got some sound proofing stuff to do the engine hatches and engine bay area

Suspension weekend! selection of new upper and lower balljoints:
old ball joints removed, rusty lump:
after an hour with a wire wheel on and angle grinder, it then got some zinc primer
after a coat of chassis black, looks much better!
cleaned up the brake back plates and made some new copper brake pipes
all repeated on the other side!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:14 am 

Slick dude! Oh man, I want a van so bad now lol.

2009 Honda Ruckus NPS50

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:34 pm 

Over the weekend I when to a caravan/camper supplies shop and tried to price up some stuff look fresh water tank, pump and motors its all a bit expensive! But has given me an idea of whats available.

Todays task carb rebuild/clean out
rebuild kit was for a 1974 toyota corona but it was 90% the same bits, the diagram was a bit daunting! Dinning room tables make for excellent clean work benches ;D

grubby carb

there were a few bits that weren't in the kit and were knackered on my carb like rubber dust boots, luckily I saved the carb of my old k10 micra which provided a few usfull bits

cleaned up and back on the van! Seems to run so much better now

Also started sourcing suspension bushes, nothing much is available so I've been looking towards the various polybush company's.
Front anti roll bar'D' bushes work out very similar to Toyota Celica 85-89 rear anti roll bar bushes:
old and new! only a small modification to the clamps was needed (angle grinder :P)

no going back now!
automotive archiology! Plates over rust, you can see the original white paint undersome of them :P
nice

Todays job, first remove the petrol tank got 20litres out of it which I have stored in my Saabs tank because of the fuel CHAOS all the local petrol stations had ran out :P

then more cutting out dodgy patches
and a bit more, at this point a neighbor wanders round to see what I was up to, 'oh bloody hell' was the phrase he used ;D

Out rigger was badly patched so I chopped off the rot/patch and made a card template. This got transferred to a bit of 2mm thick steel
after a bit of folding, I also tried to recreate the indent bit using TonyBmws excellent guides!
welded on, needs a bit more grinding but it gives me a base to start making the inner Sill
trial fitting the arch panel to help figure out the inner panel
and suitable bit of wood gave me the bottom of the sill/quarter panel

start making up a panel, ribs again using TonyBmw method, still more practice required but I'm getting better! 1.2mm steel is alot easier to work than the 2mm used on the outrigger!
woo! that don't look to bad, will do for this old battle bus in any case
glued it on
next bit will be to make up the strengthener bit -arrowed, it should go to the bottom of the panel but most of it was missing.

next bit

made up a sill bit
something like that

corner bit next

remade a bit I did (much) earlier in the thread, bit of the sildey door rail

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:25 am 

corner time!
thats quite alot of curves there!

still worked out reasonably well!

Loads of work been going on with the old girl! All set for and mot for the end of the month (fingers crossed/weather permitting!)

still working around this rear arch area! Front of the arch area was looking rather ropey

so i cut it all out and welded in nice new metal 1.5mm steel as per original!
also welded in the bottom of the support piece on the left hand side, then welded up the box section, will added drain holes!

welded on the rest of the arch

guard dog!
had to build a welding tent to do the inner arch, the sun was out for once

welds mostly ground and a bit of fibre glass/filler

not very clear but front inner arch

rear inner

all the inner arch is done now, bit more to do on the slidy door rail bit.
Also have currently got the pop top roof off to repair the area around some of the hinges - more welding!

In other news, my brake master cylinder has been at Past Parts for several months now they seem unable to source on of the rubber seals. So I bit the bullet and
brand new master cylinder £same price as my old mazda 323 :P. Most I think i;ve ever spent on one part! Still now means with 6 new wheel cylinders and all the flexible brake hoses replaced (braided!) and most of the metal brake pipes remade, I have a completely rebuild brake system.

got a new ignition barrel too!
ebay!

loads more has happen but I keep forgetting to take photos!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:53 pm 

your really good at frabicating.coming out great :tu:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:42 am 

finished the welding (for now :P)

Mates came over to help with paint prep/dent removal/fillering at the weekend.

But as of this morning Hiace has an MOT and Tax! (Jul 13, 2012)

well with RRgathering just round the corner I seem to be spending all my free time trying to get the van ready!

So thanks to this stuff:
some foam rollers and a few mates + beer we get:
for the first time ever in my ownership the van is one shade of white!
of course i've painted over odd bits of dodgy filler, rust etc BUT it doesnt look half bad from 20feet away ;D

Finallly solved the running problems which were making the van stall at every possible moment. Replave the entire brake servo hose (nearly 4 meters!) which was causing a slight airleak/vaccum leak. Fuel pump diaphram had fell appart managed to source one for a Cressida but it didnt have a return outlet. Finally managed to source the correct one from Ohio! of all places:
genuine part not pattern, worked out at about £16 inc post :P

Also changed the carb to a rebuilt Hilux item with autochoke thanks to the tech section is now working perfectly!
Quote:
So my '79 Toyota hiace is back on the road, I 'rebuilt' (gaskets and a good clean out!) the original carb a while back but it was all pretty knackered at 240k! so the old van still wasn't running as good as I'd like it. So I managed to get hold of a 1983ish 18r engine Hilux pick up carb, in much better condition. Its a later version of the carb on my van. Problem being its an autochoke not a manual so I wired it up as per the wiring diagram:
Which all seems to work but the mecanism that works the choke flap etc is a metal coil fed by the 12v from the relay. But the coil seems to get bloody hot! Which made me think i've made a glaring error in my wiring or the coil its self is buggered! Any one got and ideas, should the electronic coil thing get hot!?

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... =1#1620798

And my alloys came back from the blasters
loads of work to get those ready for the gathering so I cant be bothered instead focusing on this sort of thing:
many meters of wiring, rear lights all rewired also I rewired quite alot of stuff under the dashboard - any one want some second hand scotch locks!?!

some grubby boxs arrived
NOS wing mirrors!

Finally a picture from 2 months ago

so Hiace made it to the Prescott for the gathering, Shelsley Walsh on the saturday and mini bus to tescos and back home again! Did a good 600miles over the weekend all with out a hitch :P

very flattering photo from the RRGathering
thanks to tonylanciabeta! http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonysphotos/

been trying on tyres for the turbovec-alikes. Found a 195 r14c van tyre at the local part worn place, looks pretty good to me - nice and balloony! I think I will try the original 185 r14's on the front. The vecs certainly fill the arches much better than the stock steels Although there is only 1" difference in width.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 am 

Further tinkering, in no particular order

Had a slight leak from the radiator top hose, which was pretty ancient. Turns out it wasn't the hose but the top stub on the radiator, corrosion additives in the fresh antifreeze I put in last year have obviously done their job by eating the corrosion and leaving a hole :P

Contacted Colchester radiators about fitting 2 new stubs fitted to the radiator, after cleaning the old rad out they advised me to have a re-core as well.
before
after!

as for the top hose I could get one from OZ but at a price, I found 2 90degree silicone hoses would do the job (Red!) with a suitable bit of copper pipe as a joiner.
and for the lower rad hose a 38mm-35mm 90 bend again Red!

whilst I had the rad out I had a bit of a clean and paint up of the crossmeamber. As well as freeing off the seized alternator low bolt just in case I ever need to remove the alternator you can do it with the rad in but you dont have a chance if its seized! Lots of copper grease on the bolts now.

Wheels all powered coated silver now have a set of Goodyear 8ply van tyres on. 1new one 3 part worns ;D
thanks to mate Steve for doing these and taking the time to fit stick on wheel weights and not the clip on type, as well as giving the tyres a coat of tyre shine. Pints now owed!

and of course some welding which Ive put of for a while, this is where the heater box mounts to the floor.
started to make a plate then my fingers got to cold :P

Got new lengths of heater hose from the engine block to the heater matrix to fit whilst I'm in this area

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:09 pm 

productive weekend! Vans up and running again. Refitted my old spot lights, fitted wheels, wired up tacho, did some boring mechanical stuff - adjust the brakes, refit heater box, fit new O-rings in the heater valve, finished the welding where the heater box goes. Probably some other stuff i forget.
wheels + tyres fit nice, i'm very pleased!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:19 pm 

todays was a tat collecting mission, borrowed my old mans diesel skoda and a little trailer and headed north.
Nice 320mile round trip to collect a Celica 18r engine and a skoda boot full of other goodys. Celica gets a much better exhaust manifold and I've also got the exhaust down pipe which should hopfull liberate a few more bhp out of my existing engine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:18 am 

RetroMat wrote:
Celica gets a much better exhaust manifold and I've also got the exhaust down pipe which should hopfull liberate a few more bhp out of my existing engine.

Drifting soon, then? :wink:

Love the van, super unique project. Keep it up!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3