AN UPDATE! its only been a year! Mostly Copied from oldjapanesecar.com
This was the campers last outing out! RRG 2010!
this post on ojc was Oct 23, 2010
started getting to van ready for mot time, first rear shocks. last year one of the advisorys was knackered shock bushes but I knew one of the shocks had started to leak.
Blue ones are Toyota DYNA; black ones are 67-82 hiace; then rusty knackered ones
I got the black Sachs ones first; annoyingly the bushes had gone missing, I was going to hunt down some universal bushes when the blue set appeared on ebay ultra cheap. So swaped the bushes and fitted them.
fitted! Petrol tank painted with POR15 for a bit of protection. Also been over the brake pipes and fuel lines with waxoyl.
probably my imagination but the back end does seem to sit higher/better now.
But then Nov 10, 2010:
Well this was going to be a nice update on how i'd fininaly made some brackets and fitted that chrome bumper.
Instead, its seems the pikeys have taken and interest in a some of the vehicles down my street neighbours s11 landrover, my van and a mk2 transit camper. So my hiace is now down the end of my garden
Only access is via 2 commercial property's with big gates, so it is secure now although not too happy about parking it on grass. :-X
Pain in the
^ and as the van was in the back garden I kind of forgot about it!
camper never made it to a nice warm barn and is still in my back garden, but progress has been made! In less than a month I am off to New zeland for a month, appart from a much needed holiday I am also hoping to source a bit bits for the camper. I will be going to the Horopito scrap yard which hopefully with provide aload of bits.
The NewZeland trip is also the reason why I havent done much to the camper this year but;
Electronic ignition (idea from PeteTong)! A bit daft when the van really needs more body work stuff but things like this keep your mojo up during these early winter nights! I;ve been folowing a guide on the very informative toyomods forum. I purchased a complete electronic ignition/pickup dizzy from a 1985 21R 2.0 celica.
21r celica on the left, 18r hiace on the right. ^
Its pretty much a case of swapping the base plate from the electric igintion dizzy to the points one.
The finished dizzy with electronic pick up. Toyota want £300 for the sutable ignition module BUT the toyomods guys use a Bosch holden item which it nice and cheap, sadly not readily avaible in the UK. What I have found it the module from a 80's RSturbo ford! which has simialr specs to the holden item. My mate provided the nice lump of ally in the pic so I can use it as a heat sink (after a bit of polishing!)
I'm going to be mounting it in the battery tray area (on the left!)
i;ve cleaned up/derusted/zinc primed and chassis blacked
Currently i'm waiting on a new O ring for the dizzy, I'd sourced one that fitted from my local motor factors; but the dizzy wont fit down its hole with that fitted! So I was recommeded to get the correct toyota item.
I also gave the battrey cage a bit of a birthday:
Agian derusted, zinc primed and painted. That grey paint is Fergison gery tractor enamel! Cheap and hard wearing! I.m going to use it to paint the suspension stuff axle etc.
Also knocked up a new battery earth cable and soldered on new ends
been rebuilding the bit where the wheels run on the slidey door, surpisingly this bit wasnt very rusty*! but the wheel had eaten a groove on the rail and eventually worn through it.
* not rusty some onesbeen here before!
welded up a few bits and clean all that yellow glue stuff off and painted it up.
Bit of rev countering
Yazaki tacho i've had lying about for ages + spare wheel cap + strip of metal
worked out quite well!